User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Movies

Hi there. I just wondered what the last movie you saw was, and what your favorite movie of all time is. Also, do you have a favorite actor or actress?

The last movie I saw at the cinema was "Moulin Rouge", Baz Luhrmann. Very impressive.
    This is a period (anachronistic) musical of such an amazing scale. The set design and decoration is fantastic and the original (and not so original ) music is just brilliant. It has the Bazmark Luhrmann trademark film style. You won't have seen a movie like this in the last 50 years, and probably won't again for another 50 years.
    Ewan MacGregor's singing voice is good, and he fitted into the role nicely.

One of my favorite movies would be "The Shawshank Redemption", but maybe you knew that already.

Recent DVD purchases include: Snatch, 12 Monkeys, and LA Confidential.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been at the cinema for years, but latest movie I watched was Roughnecks and Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. I really like watching a lot of movies, but I don't have any favourite ones - I only categorize them by good and bad ones

My all time favourite actor is Sean Connery
    HighCheats - game cheats, codes, tips and tricks for PC and various console platforms

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really a cinema goer either. Think the last movie I saw in the cinema was The Blair Witch Project (first one).

My favourite movie of all time is Saving Private Ryan.

Favourite actor would probably be either Morgan Freeman or Nicholas Cage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Morgan Freeman and Nic Cage are great.

What did you think of The Blair Witch Project? I am interested to hear your thoughts on this movie.

Blair Witch Project was another one that I missed at the cinema because people told me it was bad. I loved it, personally, but that is just because it is my age group, and I could identify with the filmmakers.

Saving Private Ryan is very good. Interesting use of sound design, and the bleach bypass process giving it that "muddy" feel. Engaging.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    What did you think of The Blair Witch Project? I am interested to hear your thoughts on this movie.
    I thought the original one was quite good. I can honestly say my heart was beating that little bit faster at the end.

I saw The Blair Witch Project 2 about a week ago and it was nowhere near as scary as the first one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a big movie man! The last film I saw was The Mummy Returns. I didn't really go to see it because I wanted to, rather just to review it on my website.

I gave it * out of ***** anyway. It's one of the most brain-numbing films I've seen in a long time. Almost as bad as
    Batman and Robin.

Favourite films? In no particular order...

1. Robocop
    2. Shawshank Remdemption
    3. Seven
    4. Bladerunner
    5. Apocalypse Now
    6. Deliverance
    7. Dirty Harry
    8. Get Carter (The Caine version)
    9. Taxi Driver
    10. Scarface
    Monkeyboy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. It (the original) was a very tense film. Not many directors would be able to leave the actors alone and still get such high performances. It was very tense, and real.

I have heard that Blair Witch 2 is really bad, from trustworthy sources, and gave it a miss. I think the main problem is that it had a budget, and a non-original idea.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Monkeyboy! Almost didn't notice you.

I'm glad you liked Shawshank and Se7en, and Blade Runner and a couple of Scorsese movies... I haven't seen RoboCop so I'd love to hear more info on it. Not spoilers, just some juicy tidbits
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last movie watched - Charlie's Angles - grrrrrrrr - Glorious poetic cheese.

Fave all time - really tough, I like so many but may have to opt for "True Romance".

Favourite actor - Alan Rickman...no....Brad Pitt...no....Harrison Ford....no....Christian Slater...no...er....Drew Barrymore...oops, no, where did that come from?,......er....Damn - that is too hard

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have over 600 movies and I am hard pressed to choose a favourite. I am partial to watching StarShip Troopers at least once a month, don't know it is great!

I love Robert De Niro, he is an amazing actor.

One of my favourite films which he has done was Once Upon A Time in America.

As to directors, too many good ones to name, I like Jim Cameron (of course), and Francois Truffaut <sp>.

Last film I watched was Charlie'a Angles which I bought on DVD, film was OK but DVD is brilliant, it is only a single disc but has loads of interesting special features.

Out of interest how much is a DVD in the States? In the UK for a recent release we pay between £18 - £25. Highway robbery!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    Hi Monkeyboy! Almost didn't notice you.

I'm glad you liked Shawshank and Se7en, and Blade Runner and a couple of Scorsese movies... I haven't seen RoboCop so I'd love to hear more info on it. Not spoilers, just some juicy tidbits

I think Robocop is one seriously underrated film. If you tell people that Robocop is one of your favourite films they look at you as though you're a bit daft.

How can I describe it, without giving anything away?

I'm guessing you know the gist of it, that it's about a cop killed in the line of duty who has his brain placed into the metal hull of a robot. But it's so much more. It's an action flick, it's a revenge flick, it's a biting satirical commentary on corporate power and capitalism.

And jam-packed between this is an entertaining story with a script that's as tight as a nut!

I think you can still get the Criterion Special Edition DVD, even though I've heard they've stopped making it.

But if I was you, I'd see the original version first, before you see the Special Edition. And avoid edited for TV versions like the plague! They're terrible!
    Monkeyboy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if my cinema studies lecturer likes RoboCop, it must be decent enough...

I will look it up on imdb for info. seeya!
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The last movie I saw was 'The Mummy Returns' which was only last weekend. I liked it but it wasn't half as good as the first one.

I don't think I could really narrow down one film as my favourite but here are the first few that comes to mind.

Saving Private Ryan
    The Matrix
    Twelve Monkeys
    Gladiator
    Snatch
    Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (I like Guy Richie films, its just something about the way they are shot).
    Shawshank Redemption

Again I can't think of one actor I love. Brad Pitt was brilliant in 12 monkeys but thats the only film I really like of his. Brice Willis isn't bad.

[EDIT] Speed was on telly last night so that is the latest film I have seen now even though it was for the 100th time . Good film though, not quite good enough to make my list though.
    Last edited by Fletch; May 29, 2001 at 02:13.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky

As to directors, too many good ones to name, I like Jim Cameron (of course), and Francois Truffaut <sp>.

Last film I watched was Charlie'a Angles which I bought on DVD, film was OK but DVD is brilliant, it is only a single disc but has loads of interesting special features.
    I bought "Gladiator", "Snatch", "12 Monkeys", "LA confidential" on DVD recently for their extra features. If a DVD has no commentary or documentary more than 60 minutes, I am less likely to buy it.

Truffaut ey? Interesting.

James Cameron, ey? I am guessing that you would have films such as "Aliens", "The Abyss", "Terminator 2", on DVD or laserdisc? What about "Titantic"? Did you like that? "Aliens" and "The Abyss" have good DVD/laserdisc features.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely go to the cinema, but I watch quite a lot of movies as we have about 10 movie channels courtesy of Sky!!

The last film I watched was "Sixth Sense" a couple of nights ago, and the ending absolutely bowled me over. It never even crossed my mind. (Not going to say anything more incase anybody who hasn't seen it wants to!!!)

As to favourite films, there are loads......

Sliding Doors was excellent. How many times have you said to yourself something along the lines of, "I wonder what would have happened if......"?

Ghost. I thought Whoopi Goldberg was brilliant in this....she's so funny. Oh, and I cried bucket loads at the end!

Jumping Jack Flash. Another film with Whoopi Goldberg. This one really annoyed me to an extent because I recognised the voice of the actor playing 'Jack' and I couldn't think who it was. Having to wait until the end to find out was a killer!

The Devil's Advocate. Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino (probably spelt wrong!). My husband actually sat through this without pausing the video to go for a cigarette break - something that doesn't happen very often!

The Matrix. Well, you gotta love it, don't you?!

The Fully Monty. Lost count of the number of times I've watched this one. It's that shot of Hugo Spear on the sun-bed that gets me!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Meet Joe Black. Brad Pitt.....nuff said!!!!

Interview With A Vampire. Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas AND Brad Pitt!!

Kenneth Brannagh's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I actually ended up feeling sorry for the monster (portrayed brilliantly by Robert De Niro).

I think I'd better stop here. This list could go on for ages. As you can see, my taste in movies is rather varied.

I'm not even going to bother trying to single out just one actor/actress.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite movie of all time is definitely Fight Club, although Office Space, Conspiracy Theory, Taxi Driver, and 12 Monkeys are up there as well. I saw Taxi Driver about a month ago, man that is one awesome movie.

My favorite actors/actresses are, more or less, Edward Norton, Winona Ryder, Robert De Niro, Meg Ryan, Bruce Willis, Julia Stiles, and Denzel Washington. #1 is De Niro, he's a genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Last movie I saw in the cinema?

Hannibal (it was decent, but not as good as the first one)

2) Fave Movie of all time?

Can't list just one so here goes:
    ---- Princess Bride
    ---- PeeWee's Big Adventure
    ---- Tommy Boy
    ---- Grand Canyon
    ---- Notting Hill
    ---- Sliding Doors

3) Fave actor?

Again, can't list just one:
    ---- Gwyneth Paltrow
    ---- Tom Hanks
    ---- Robert DeNiro

I can't think of any more offhand.

Nicky...

Please tell me that you were joking about watching Starship Troopers. That is quite possibly one of the worst movies of all time. If I had a gun and was in close proximity to the director and producer you would all see me in the papers the next day. "Creole Murders two, film at eleven".

If you had EVER read the book StarShip Troopers by Robert Heinlein you would agree with me about the movie. As much of a literary buff as you are Nicky you OWE it to yourself to read that book. IMO, it is one of the best books ever written, and I have read LOTS of books.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creole, I also particularly like Gwyneth Paltrow, and I found her performance in "Se7en" to be very moving. I'm not often one to be 'moved', but her scene with Somerset (Morgan Freeman) was enough to make anybody cry.

Robert DeNiro is also one of my all-time favorites. He puts himself fully into every character he plays. As Anarchos says, Taxi Driver is an awesome movie. Fantastic. His performance, just in breif moments, is very impressive, especially

I wasn't going to say anything about starship troopers, but since Creole mentioned it I may as well back him up.

A 'friend' of mine were once talking about great movies and he mentioned "Starship troopers". He said that it was a really good film, and that a film buff (I don't like the term "buff" ) like me should definately see it. Having not seen it, I trusted his judgement enough and hired it. From then on I have totally disregarded anything he has said about movies. It is, without doubt, one of the worst movies ever. It has some very appealing qualities, but then again so do daytime talkshows.

Admittedly, the story behind "Starship Troopers" had potential, and had this film never been made I would have been enthusiastic about seeing a film adaptation.

Anarchos, Fight Club is an excellent movie. In terms of marketing, it undersold itself. Well not really. The intellectual content of this film forced its release into the smaller "arthouse" venues, at least where I live. It is without doubt, a huge film. Largish budget. Large actors, very large digital effects, and sound! The sound design is to die for. The Director of Photography did a very nice job too. It was held together by a fantastic story.

Saz - do you like Bruce Willis? I was impressed at his performance in "Sixth Sense". I hope you go back and watch that movie a few more times and after you've done so you may want to give "12 Monkeys" a go.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmj...

I forgot to chime in on 12 Monkeys. I think that Jeffrey Goines is one of Brad Pitt's best characters to date. The movie was brilliant. I keep heaing Brad yell "GRRRRR get out of my CHAIR!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he put a lot of research into that role. I love the way he plays it. I love the way he is such a nice guy yet he finds it hard to control himself, and gets carried away, yet he's self-conscious of this fact.

I watched it for the nth time since buying the DVD, and I 'got' whole new elements of the story: the whole thing about the guy that is mentally divergent, wow that was under-emphasised but in my opinion very important. And the fact that madeline stowe's character has just spent the last 6 years researching Jose's [?] condition when he was found in world war I! These are not spoilers folks, they are only interesting tidbits that make more sense if you've seen the film.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last film I saw was Wild at Heart (on telly last night) for about the 10th Time itís great.

Favorotie film ever Ė tough one so hereís a couple;
    The Princes Bride
    The Abyss
    Heat
    Gross Point Blank

As a stand alone film I enjoyed Starship Troopers too, I have read the book and I don't think Hollywood 'Got It'. I believe Heinlein wrote the book as a social commentary slating the rise of the Nazi regime and IMHO that does not come across in the movie.

Another one Hollywood got wrong was the devils advocate, that film had one of THE best endings. Then they go and slap 5 minutes of glitzy goo on the end, terrible.

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmj,

I've had a soft spot for Bruce Willis ever since his days in Moonlighting! (Oooops! Showing my age here!!)

I'm not too keen on his action hero roles, but I thought he was excellent in Mercury Rising and The Sixth Sense and I have every intention of seeing him (and Brad Pitt) in 12 Monkeys!!

Creole, you mentioned another of my favourite films....The Princess Bride!

AAAAAAS.................YOOOOOOOOU.............WIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well lets see.. last movie i saw at the theatre was...hmm.. The Mummy Returns i think... i didn't think it was terrible, but the previous week i had gone and seen Freddy Got Fingered, and well any movie would be good in comparison to that.. don't ask why i went and saw it.. i just did...
    Last movie i rented was The Emporers New Groove.. it was OK, but it was no Lion King or Aladdin...

lets see.. some of my favorites..
    Shawshank
    Princess Bride
    Back to the Future
    American Beauty
    Fight Club
    Seven
    A Time to Kill
    Multiplicity (funny funny movie "hey doug, come up here, I'm spitting on bugs.")
    Falling Down ...
    and so many more..

and lets see some of my fav actors, Morgan Freeman, Nick Cage, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Micheal Keaton..
    oh yeah.. and i kinda have this thing for Michelle Pfiefer, and LeeLee Soblieski (sp?)...
    Last edited by bman; May 29, 2001 at 08:49.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmj, I agree with you about Fight Club's marketing. I didn't actually see it until it came out on video, because I had initially thought it was some sort of boxing sporty movie. Now that I think about it, I didn't see any of my favorites in the theater.

And speaking of Fight Club, the DVD has the coolest packaging I've ever seen; the design is brilliant, much better than the typical DVD's box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saz249
    I've had a soft spot for Bruce Willis ever since his days in Moonlighting! (Oooops! Showing my age here!!)
    HEY!!! I almost the same age as you and I LOVED that show. Isn't it always the truth that they CAN the best shows?

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."