User Tag List

Addicted to the Source of Life PowerBit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Setting root password for MySQL

Hello,

I hope you have enjoyed your morning coffee and are having a great day out there.

My question is entry level, I am just starting with a Site Point book on PHP and My SQL: the book is asking me to set a root password by openning a command prompt or terminal window and to type a certain command in the bin directory. What is a terminal window, where do I open it from, and how do I locate the bin directory?

Your imput is greatly appreciated.

A word for Site Point: I am impressed with the level of guenuine responce I get from this community!!! Great job to every one and thanks.

Billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

it's 5:55pm over here, so you are not talking to me?

If you are on Windows, you open a terminal window through "Start" and "Run". Here you type "cmd" and click OK. The bin directory most probably is at c:\mysql\bin. You get there by typing "c:", <return>, "cd \mysql\bin", <return>, and then you can do what the book wants you to do
    Never ascribe to malice,
    that which can be explained by incompetence.
    Your code should not look unmaintainable, just be that way.

Addicted to the Source of Life PowerBit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

5:55 pm wow! I hope you had a great day! And thank you for your imput you got me workin again! : )

Well I have encountered a problem: the author is asking for me to set a root password to Mysql by typing under the bin directory the following (with the conclusion that the software has a default user password as "root"): mysql -u root mysql.
    I get a message: " access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' "

The author has written that mysql has a configuration with a user named 'root' that has access to pretty much everything and that a password must be assigned to the root user.

What do I do?