Thread: My Domain Name

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Domain Name

Hey

We have a domain name registerd that we wanted to use for an online community similar to SitePoint but not really entirely web-based.

We have seen similar domains up and running with no issue but I was wondering that the legality issues are for running a domain like this one.

Domain: DiscoverVisualStudio.net

I'm sure from the domain you can see why I'm asking. I have seen websites TalkVS.Net and VSNetTalk, VisualStudioForums.com, with no problem. Just as long as I'm not acting like an "official" website I don't think it should be a problem..?

any advice?

thanks. reguards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot give you a full legal answer but i would say that as long as you are not trying to impersonate and keep the design fairly different to anything that could be construed as the actual product then you should not have to many problems.
    Joel Brown - Orion Networks
    Techie-Central New Updated Style and Forums
    Stores - Books | PHP | Point of Sale | Pocket Drives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be safe, you should put a short disclaimer somewhere on your site making it clear that you are an independent site, and not affiliated with Visual Studio itself. As long as you do this, you should be alright.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunedin
    Having just read this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...s_domain_case/

I would re-iterate WealthStream's comment. You may not be "alright" but if you word your disclaimer correctly, it will help should you be accussed of "passing off". The domain in question to me seems very valuable and I wouldnt be too surprised if Microsoft contact you at some point. Your best line of defense will always be to ensure you are in no way trying to trade on either the Microsoft or VisualStudio trademarks, but are providing a resource for users of the product in question. Who knows, they may actually offer you a pile of cash as opposed to a legal writ.
    I would be pissed on that, and I would also take it to the supreme court. If he registered a domain name way back in 2000 and then in 2004 a new company decided to come out and register that name as a trademark they shouldn't be allowed to just take the domain like that. They need to check better to make sure their trademark name is actually unique and not already in use.

In my case VS.Net is already a registered product, but I'm not intending it to be used as a Microsoft website. I'll make sure I have some type of disclaimer in the domain some place.

Also check out this website I just located

LearnVisualStudio.net

Its basically the same thing.. learn/discover. They don't seem to be having any problems and they are even using the official vs.net color-coding on the website. They just have a tiny note on the bottom on the website saying that they are not part of MS Corp. I'll just have to make sure I do something similar.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... um crap. I just paid to have the domain appraisal just for ****s and giggles. I got a response from the rep, he palced the value of the domain at 37,000-57,000 US Currency and wanted to know if I would like someone to contact me about the purcahse of the domain... I was like... SURE

Hehe, never know but well see what happens.