SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its amazing how many people are just out to make a quick buck and not actually learn more or help others
    Hello

Like I say I will not be selling any links in my sig as I now know it is not permitted. I am not the type to rock the boat and cause trouble.

Though...

I don't know how you can say that just cause someone wants to make a few bucks for placing some anchor text in there signature means they are not interested in learning or helping.

I personally come here for free and help others and try to get help when needed, because I like the place. I have learned alot here and I enjoy the members, helping others and alot of other things. I did not decide the other day "Gee I'll stop helping and learning at SP and just make money" I did figure that since I am gonna be here posting anyway, if I could make a few extra dollars while doing it that would just be a bonus. I though the net was advertising and money.

What about the advertisiments that SP has all over the site. Does that mean that they are just out to make a fast buck and are not interestred in helping or learning anymore?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny - I think you misunderstood my meaning there, I was talking more about the newer people turning up and pushing the limits to just earn a quick buck - like asking for a review to get traffic to a site etc etc paying for sig space and then spam posting everywhere!

but essentially yes I have links in my sig they are my links for my work like a portfolio, and yes that could be construde as making money - but they are my links and no one elses. I haven't "sold it" to anyone.

Personally I feel that it gets annoying when people want to push and push and push on the guidelines to see how far they can get - that to me is greedy and what I feel is not the right attitude.

But also the guidelines about sigs have been in place for a while and we believe they help you get a better experience - I know I have been to some forums and the signatures are not controlled in anyway and its a huge distraction - some don't allow you to link to your sites full stop and only allow "words of wisdom" type sigs I felt we got an even balance allowing you to use your sig to get more work.

By selling the space to make money doesn't sit right with me.

Hey my opinion I know but that is just how I see it.
    Regular user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

No problem, I have no issue with the rules, they are the rules and I will obey them. As I say, I am not one to rock the boat.

The links in my sig are only my sites

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    I personally come here for free and help others and try to get help when needed, because I like the place. I have learned alot here and I enjoy the members, helping others and alot of other things. I did not decide the other day "Gee I'll stop helping and learning at SP and just make money" I did figure that since I am gonna be here posting anyway, if I could make a few extra dollars while doing it that would just be a bonus. I though the net was advertising and money.
    This is exactly how I felt Ben. I visit this forum because I love the 'vibe', the helpfulness, and the overall friendliness.

Although I knew money-making signatures were not favourable in forums (but not totally unacceptable), I thought, "Hey, I only use one of the 4 lines, so why not make some money out if it". I got a nice offer I couldn't really refuse...

But, rules are rules...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the final verdict on trading signatures? A few months ago I had a link to a friend's site, and he had a link to mine... is that allowed?

Also, how will you distinguish multi-owned sites from selling signatures? My site, Great Big Blog, has several people linking to it in their signature, because there's more than one person on staff. I'm going to assume that that's allowed, but how would you tell the difference?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    So what's the final verdict on trading signatures? A few months ago I had a link to a friend's site, and he had a link to mine... is that allowed?

Also, how will you distinguish multi-owned sites from selling signatures? My site, Great Big Blog, has several people linking to it in their signature, because there's more than one person on staff. I'm going to assume that that's allowed, but how would you tell the difference?
    Hello

I think that as long as you are NOT selling the space it is allowed. Sarah said that you can link to a site you like, just you cannot sell the space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep that is what I mean
    Regular user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois

We'd have to roll up our sleeves and do our owninvestigation It would probably come down to asking you, and then having faith that you tell the truth.

Of course, if the site in questions is infact SigTraders, then I'd be hard pressed to believe it. In fact, anyone with that site in their sig is suspect *cough*webjunky*cough*
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    We'd have to roll up our sleeves and do our owninvestigation It would probably come down to asking you, and then having faith that you tell the truth.

Of course, if the site in questions is infact SigTraders, then I'd be hard pressed to believe it. In fact, anyone with that site in their sig is suspect *cough*webjunky*cough*
    Sounds good.