User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    Whenever possible, these 'optional' technologies shouldn't be depended on -- at least not for a public site with a wide audience. If your site is about JavaScript, or something equally technical, you can make certain assumptions about your audience. But for a general site, it shouldn't matter.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    A system should be designed to withstand the worst possible set of occurances. If a user doesn't have JavaScript, and has no idea what JS is, the system should degrade gracefully, allowing alternative means of use.
    Worst possible... A user using an ancient browser like IE3 or Netscape 3?

Other than that I agree. Web pages should not depend on JavaScript.

I just think people should be aware if for whatever reason their browser does not support technologies that many sites depend on.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yeah. But for the most part, it's nearly impossible for a casual user to be set up with technology that's that old and not know that they're out of date.

But more on the point, it's beneficial for a user to be educated on the technology that they're using. But it shouldn't be mandatory, especially when sites are for a public purpose, such as banking, government, shopping, etc. And if you're hoping to sell or advertise, making it as easy as possible for everyone just looks good on your brand.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn