SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats up with posting numbers.

Hi.

I'm trying to make a few posts, so I can ask for help in another forum, but the number of posts it says I've made is way behind what I've actually made.... Does it only update hourly or something?

Lynny

www.canzdesign.com

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posts in the general chat don't count towards post count. It's in the FAQ's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post actual helpful posts and then your post count will go up. General Chat posts are worthless there for they don't count. No one has yet to learn a single webmaster related thing from viewing posts on this board, there for posts don't count!!! Post on a real board, ie the Get Rich Quick board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo
    Post actual helpful posts and then your post count will go up. General Chat posts are worthless there for they don't count. No one has yet to learn a single webmaster related thing from viewing posts on this board, there for posts don't count!!! Post on a real board, ie the Get Rich Quick board.
    I don't know, I learned alot from this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post actual helpful posts and then your post count will go up. General Chat posts are worthless there for they don't count. No one has yet to learn a single webmaster related thing from viewing posts on this board, there for posts don't count!!!.
    I think the same rule should be applied to introductions. Probably half of the 3,000 post level come from introductions. I think I have two posts there and they were when I introduced myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampt
    I think the same rule should be applied to introductions. Probably half of the 3,000 post level come from introductions. I think I have two posts there and they were when I introduced myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and how many people said Hi and welcome to you. Maybe no-one, thats why you didn't make anyposts there....

Lynny

www.canz.biz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh if only it were so quick and easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canz
    and how many people said Hi and welcome to you. Maybe no-one, thats why you didn't make anyposts there....
    I was talking more about the people who have 1000 posts in introductions that simply say, "welcome to sitepoint" and that's it. Even worse is when its just a smiley face or something.

Also, you should probably just put your link into your signature instead of posting it inside your post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken about the hi posts, and yeah, I just learnt how to make a signature here last night, which is why I put the link in the body of the post before.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Introduction posts actually serve a purpose (community building, helping new users feel welcome, etc.), which is why they count toward post count. Anyway, does it really matter that much?

I do agree that when you get people posting 50 "Welcome to SitePoint" posts in 20 minutes just to boost their post count is kind of rediculous. That's why I think Introduction threads should auto-lock after a couple of days so people can't go in and reply to every post from the past 3 months.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    The Introduction posts actually serve a purpose (community building, helping new users feel welcome, etc.), which is why they count toward post count.
    I think the real sense of community comes from the interactions between members helping each other with problems and questions. Not saying "welcome " when a member first shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    Anyway, does it really matter that much?
    Not at all ... I was just making a comment about Nintendo's saying posts should only count when making useful posts. Just feel that most of the posting in the Introductions section isn't too useful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the real sense of community comes from the interactions between members helping each other with problems and questions. Not saying "welcome " when a member first shows up.
    But making a new member comfortable enough to ask their questions in the first place is the purpose of the Introductions forum. I think that initial friendliness is what kept many people here after their first post.

I do see your side of the argument though, and people posting "Hi!" 500 times without variation is rather annoying. However, the best we staff can do is ask these members to make their posts more applicable to the person doing the introduction.