SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review this site!

Come and have a go!

This is my first PHP site I have done, and would like to get comments and feedback.

I know there are issues, and mistakes - but maybe you can spot some I have missed.

Thanks..

www.weirdbeard.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colours are good...

I almost left your site because I thought it wasn't working! It takes FOREVER to load up! I like the design, it is simple and effective and the colours work.

I don't, however, understand the use for the frame at the top? It was kind of annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi weirdbeardmt,

Well your site loaded like lightning for me. Wham, and i was in. I`m on 56k too.

I read your comments about what makes a strong website but I think you are failing to engage the viewer as you want.

Your navigation for instance is very simple and placed awkwardly, sticking to the table rather than sitting inside it with some breathing room. This is the same for your logo and the graphics at the bottom of the front page too. I`d really enjoy a much more elaborate navigation on a site such as this. The site is small enough to allow for something more elaborate. Even a full interface site would work just fine with what you need to present here (and I`m not a fan of interface sites usually)

Since you are well versed in flash, perhaps using that?

I also found visually the site was a bit of a let down. A lot of text spanning the screen with no real layout at all. Nothing to entice me in. Your site logo is a fine example of how minimal everything is. I`m sure many people like like the speed the pages load at and the clear layout but if its a goal of yours to impress people, possibly future clients. I think you need something a lot more visual.

The colours in the site itself seemed to be going in the right direction. Very nice. Not sure you make enough use of them in the body of your site though.

It looks to me like your forte is more with the back end of sites, PHP and coding. That in itself is desirable enough to showcase so take my comments as just mild comments really. The site works and its clear and well laid out.
    Garry
    "Eat like a bird, poop like an elephant"
    www.FantasticArts.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colours are ok, but I think the design is a bit too simple. It gives me the impression that you needed a site very quick, and so just put some squares and triangles together.

I would put some extra work in the design. I also checked some other sites you listed, and I think you should use more "anti-alias". Everywhere are those nasty corners that don't come out well.

Good luck.
    Thomas

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any un-antialiased corners, they look good. Still, the design needs work. To begin, the logo is not really a logo, more like two rows of text put together. Try to make it more look like a logo.

The rectangles at top of the page seem to be useless, so the whole header is a bit too high. Maybe try shorten it a bit...?

The menu is ok, I like the triangles.

Last but not least: I suggest to choose a bigger fontsize for the main text, for monitors are getting bigger and bigger and fonts on websites seem to get smaller and smaller. 10 pts is excellent, at least better than 8 pts. I already need to get closer to the screen to read it well at 1024x768.

The design basic is good, now try to cheer it up a bit with a better logo and some small improvements. Success.
    </wacko>

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The first time I tried to access the site it took forever and I gave up. The second time I could not believe how quick it loaded on my 56k modem.

Overall, I think the site looks quite nice, but is a bit plain, especially the top. I think the site could do with some pictures, perhaps thumbnails of the sites you have done that link to the actual site. Why is there a link to your site in there ? A visitor is going to assume that your site is designed by you !

Sean

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have tried several times to access your site. There are three images (the header) that simply will not load. You can see my stats below if that helps.

I like what I did see except for the lack of images. The front page should have less text and more images. And throughout the ENTIRER site I did not see ONE image inside the content section. Not even in your porfolio. At least put some screen shots to entice your viewers. I wouldn't want a website without images, and most people wouldn't either.

Also, on your "about" page you list the software you use - I don't have a problem with this but if you're not going to use the latest software (i.e. the Photoshop 5.5) then I wouldn't put version numbers. Some people might think that it might be financial (which would be bad considering an upgrade is only a few hundred dollars) or just that you didn't feel you needed to have the "latest and greatest" but some might not like it. Better to be a little more vague than to possibly sway someone from choosing you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    The colours are nice, and congrats on your first php site...am on my way to learning php too. The entire site looks a little dull and plain, maybe like the others said, you can add some pictures or maybe add brighter colour tones?
    Nevertheless I feel it is already quite a nice effort. It is organised and neat, and with some sprucing up, it will be looking pretty neat!
    The MySQL and php logos need to be touched up a little though, looks like it is not anti-aliased.
    best of luck =)
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite like the simplicity of the design. But maybe you don't need all the left menu buttons to be active on all the pages. eg. the home button is active on the homepage, the contact button on the contact page, etc. Apart from that i like the colors and the simplicty...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice site

Dear Weirdbeard,

I liked your site. It's really simple to navigate and an efficient way to get across the information. You gave me some ideas that I will use when I make a site for myself.

A few comments.

Your registration feature doesn't exist yet.
    Why put a link for it? Develop it, then point to it. Especially on a site like yours where a membership feature is not really expected. Its not as if someone is going to go to your site to see your cv and wonder, "Hey what's going on here? I can't find the registration button."

I like your javascript example and your means of presenting it.
    It might be worthwhile to make a gallery of javascripts.

Thanks for your tips about learning php. I'm an asp man myself.
    But I have bookmarked your site for the eventuality that I live long enough to master asp and decide that its time to move on to php.

One last comment, The name of the site is weirdbeard.
    Put up a picture of the beard, perhaps on a logo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Thanks so much to everyone for all the comments. Everything, whether good or bad is invaluable!

A couple of answers to some of the questions:

Speed Issues

This also explains the unnecessary frame... When I first registered the domain name, it was with a company offering it for free. But it is one of these companies that mean you MUST use their dialup number, their servers don't support PHP/MySQL and if I want to transfer it, it'll cost £100. Therefore I got some free space on www.f2s.com but wanted to maintain the weirdbeard.co.uk name, so put a 1 pixel high frameset in.

Lack of Images

Granted, there are NO images and also the graphics ARE really basic. When I was writing it, I was more focused on the actual coding of the page - it was the first time I had been using templates and PHP code. I was having problems with the PHP/MySQL logos - I got them off some site but weren't in the right colours....

Content

OK lack of content. Not much I can do cos I am at Uni and didn't have too much time to write stuff. Incidentally I am scrapping the online CV thing, I have bigger and better plans! Expect a post within the next few weeks asking for you guys to review the new sites!

PHP Developers

Anyone considering PHP... what did you think of the Birthday example (www.weirdbeard.f2s.com/birthday). It took me about 4 hours to write and worked a treat. Have a play, using invite no. .100

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good design, just try to speed it up!!! Maybe try to downsize your html, and also optimize your images. Other then that it is a great site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked your site several times. The three top images never loaded - could it be a Mac problem? IE 5 Mac edition?

What I can see seems very minimalistic. More of a proposal than a web site, though missing the header could contribute to that impression.
    Lee Nelson
    Look Around everyone’s favorite city!
    iNeTours.com