Happy Coding!!!
    Bruce Lee.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

This is probably not teh best forum for this topic, but blog is a shortened term for weblog. Here is some more info

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Blog is short for weblog. A blog is the same as a regular website, except it is arranged differently. It's arranged more like an "online diary". Most blogging software does not allow you to modify the entire webpage. You need to choose a template at the beginning and fill out a few forms. Then, your blog is up and running. Once your blog is up and running, you can add "entries" to it like a diary by filling out a webform, however you generally can't modify other parts of the webpage and you can't edit the HTML code. If you think about it, you could arrange any website like a blog! If you are thinking about starting a blog, I would not recommend starting a blog using blogging software offered by companies like MSN or Angelfire. If you want a blog, you should just create a regular website and arrange it like a blog :-)!

ltng92

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is related to RSS, ATOM feeds and not to asp. Blog can be transferred in the speed of light as I understand. So you can connect to people by sending blog instead of email..
    So blog is something between a website and email. Right(?).

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

So blog is something between a website and email. Right(?).
    No a weblog is pretty much what ltng92 said and online diary. You enter content via a web form and then it stores that entry into a database and displays it back onto your site, then you can choose to allow visitors to add comments to your entries via another web form and it displays that content below the original entry.

Though, you can control pretty much any element of a weblog, depending on your skill level. I am not sure about every blog software but with Wordpress or Movable type it is all pretty customizable.

As far as "MSN" or "Angelfire" I am unsure as to there capabilities cause I have never used them but my guess is they are similar to other hosted blog type sites such as "Blogger", which are actually pretty cool and customizable.

Then the RSS and Atom are XML feeds generated by the software to let you know when new content has been added. You use a news reader or an RSS aggregator to check on and read the entries.

Don't ask me how all this works internally as I dunno how to explain it. Though it is done with a server side language such as PHP, PERL, ASP and so on.

Hope this sheds a little more light on the meaning of a weblog.