SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puzzling Question...

I am learning some perl and understand that you can compile a perl module and have it run in the background via an interpreter so it runs as a system program/service.

What I am asking is, can PHP do the same? If so, what program(s) are needed to do this, because I need to have this for a shopping cart im creating.

Its needed for automated code that normally, php cannot do unless it is called upon. So I was just wondering if anyone knew.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid I don't really understand the question. What do you mean by a "system program/service"? PHP has the ability to execute command line commands and grab the output so you can use PHP to run external programs - you can also write your own extensions for PHP in languages like C but this is quite a tricky thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the perl script Webmin, the server admin system is run like a program on a *nix box and is completely automated, meaning it can sit there waiting for a connection.

What I want to know is...can PHP be run this way to do automated database monitoring, or do I have to use a separate language/script for this?

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use PHP almost exactly like Perl as an interpreted language. Using the PHP-Gtk toolkit you can create graphical applications for your desktop. Does this answer your question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well actually no...I dont wish to make graphical apps...

what I need to do is this...

I have a shopping cart script im designing and I want a script to run in the background on my server that will check for a certain date. Once it reaches that date, it will execute a php script.

I guess its kind of like running a .pl file in the background. Its a perl script that the perl interpreter will run as if it were a program until it exits or dies...

thats pretty much what I need to do.

if PHP can do this sort of automation without the need of human interaction (page loading) then please tell me how I can do this...
    Last edited by Theiggsta; May 26, 2001 at 08:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind, I figured it out...thanks for the help