SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a href="file.html" <-- Downloads file locally!?

A couple weeks ago I have managed to make my first script able to crash my own browser. Now, another "performance": instead of going to a specified page the anchor tag downloads the file locally and opens it from the temp dir!!

I'm using the simplest kind of link: href and class. The client wanted just an update, and not a redesign, so I have taken someone else's previous design and worked on what was already there, so I feel that it may be something that the previous designer(s) left.

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.tobyzackdesigns.com/project1.htm

Links from 1 to 15 were there before and work fine. I did 16 to 23 and they don't. Actually, the links are identical. The destination pages are different: the old ones work, the new ones don't.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Hallipa

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The server is setup incorrectly. It only recognizes .htm as a HTML file instead of allowing .htm and .html.

Rename them to .htm.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, no they aren't...I just copied the code:

HTML Code:
    <td><a class="l1" href="project1.htm">Project 1</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project2.htm">Project 2</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project3.htm">Project 3</a></td>
                        </tr>

<tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project4.htm">Project 4</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project5.htm">Project 5</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project6.htm">Project 6</a></td>
                        </tr>

<tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project7.htm">Project 7</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project8.htm">Project 8</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project9.htm">Project 9</a></td>
                        </tr>

<tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project_10.htm">Project 10</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project_11.htm">Project 11</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project_12.htm">Project 12</a></td>
                        </tr>

<tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project_13.htm">Project 13</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project14.htm">Project 14</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a class="l1" href="project15.htm">Project 15</a></td>
                        </tr>

<tr> 
                          <td><a href="proj_16.html" class="l1">Project 16</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a href="proj_17.html" class="l1">Project 17</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a href="proj_18.html" class="l1">Project 18</a></td>
                        </tr>

<tr> 
                          <td><a href="proj_19.html" class="l1">Project 19</a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a href="proj_20.html" class="l1">Project 20 </a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr> 
                          <td><a href="proj_21.html" class="l1">Project 21</a></td>
                        </tr>

<tr> 
                          <td><a href="proj_22.html" class="l1">Project 22 </a></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr>
                          <td><a href="proj_23.html" class="l1">Project 23</a></td>
                        </tr>
    Do you see the difference? Change the bottom ones to match the top ones and let's see what happens. Liz

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a grief note here ..... you should REALLY talk to your hosting company about that not working. Thats just nuts that they dont have the server set up to handle html files.. Its literally one line in Apache!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you much for the replies. Yes, it appears the server isn't set up appropriately. The weird part is that some computers get it right. Others don't.

Anyway, that host will be changed soon and hopefully then everything will work fine.

Thank you again.