SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fieldset/textarea prob with IE

As part of following accessibility guidelines I am using the <fieldset> element around related input fields.

It works fine in Firefox and Opera but IE is doing something weird with the positioning etc of the textarea element.

There use to be a link here showing the problem. This has been removed but please feel free to visit the finished article:

1ontheweb.net/enquiries.html

Anyone got any idea what's going on?

Ignore the warnings you will see at the bottom of the page. This is just because I haven't copied across the two files that are used for either side of the main content area. It has no bearing on the problem.
    Last edited by ukgeoff; Apr 13, 2005 at 07:40.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your CSS declaration for the maintextarea is to blame for the increased spacing of the text area:

#maintextarea {
    left: 0px;
    position: relative;
    top: 0px;
    margin: 0px 150px 0px 150px;

If you remove the 150px margins from this declaration the fieldset will collapse to the intended width of the elements contained within it.

And - not to be picky - but the spelling of 'enquiry' instead of the usual 'Inquiry' seemed very strange to me. Dictionary.com does say it is a variant of Inquiry - so it's not misspelled...

Hope that helps!
    Robin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not convinced about this Robin. If this was the problem, why didn't the fieldset around the personal details suffer from the same problem and why is only a problem for IE?

BTW. Enquiry is in the Oxford English dictionary and is the normal English spelling as apposed to what I would call the American spelling.

Geoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I can think of

All I think I see is that you could put a width on your textarea and make it smaller. I am not completely sure that will work but that is what I think. Also, I have never used fieldset before but have seen it in work, and I thought fieldset had to have a table inside the fieldset marks to keep it all inline.
    Hope this helps!
    HTMLGuy
    Last edited by htmlguy; Mar 15, 2005 at 12:37.