SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with some versions of IE displaying CSS

Hello,

Trying to learn how to use CSS correctly. I have built a site, for which i got a very useful bit of help from someone on here.

I was wondering if anyone could be kind enough to help me again..

The problem is that the site is complete, and is viewed fine in most versions of IE & firefox i have tried.. but on two machines here at work, the site does not display correctly, despite being the same version i have tested it on (and it working fine) before.

The site is www.codnorpets.com

Here is a pic of the site how it should look (note version number in title bar):

And a screen dump of it on the machine not displaying it correctly:

Any help is VERY much appreciated! Thanks!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gulliver
    I have done already, but here's the proof:

Validation

Can anyone help me?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my IE 6 SP1 it looks fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant
    In my IE 6 SP1 it looks fine
    Thanks mate, really appreciate your feedback.

It may be the build of the machines at work.. but I don't want to take the chance. If anyone reading this sees the problems above in their version of IE, could you PM.mail me or post.. I might be able to narrow it down then.

Thanks.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >I have done already, but here's the proof:

When I posted, it was minus the px on a size and had a potentially problematic typo.
    And the url you list as validated http://www.cobant.com/CssStyles/basiclayout.css is not that from the on-page css call http://www.codnorpets.com/CssStyles/basiclayout.css ... which remains invalid.

Regardless of whether this *is' the cause of your problem, any error *could* be - hence my suggestion. It's always good practice to validate css and html - reveals all sorts of typos and other stuff that gets missed when you've been staring at it.

Also, the font tag you've included to highlight the current page can be easily replaced with a li class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >I have done already, but here's the proof:

When I posted, it was minus the px on a size and had a potentially problematic typo.
    And the url you list as validated http://www.cobant.com/CssStyles/basiclayout.css is not that from the on-page css call http://www.codnorpets.com/CssStyles/basiclayout.css ... which remains invalid.

Regardless of whether this *is' the cause of your problem, any error *could* be - hence my suggestion. It's always good practice to validate css and html - reveals all sorts of typos and other stuff that gets missed when you've been staring at it.

Also, the font tag you've included to highlight the current page can be easily replaced with a li class.

I do have to appologise mate, I typed in the css page from another site. Embarrasingly stupid thing to do, but thats the one i've been working on over the last ocuple of days, not like thats any excuse

Sorry mate, thanks for your feedback.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >I do have to appologise mate

No apology expected or required. ;-)

It's often the embarassing stuff that yields the results - 'to err is human... and there's a lot of us here'.

Personally, I've no idea whether it's the error-cause... just that there's no point trying to troubleshoot busted code. I've been taught 'Validate... then isolate... then ask.'

Whilst lacking diplomacy, I earn my money through criticism - I'm paid to find what's wrong with commercial operations. In stage two - the fix - I encourage self-learning by guiding folk toward solutions.

As I said, honestly 'I've no idea'... hence the line of 'fix that first and come back'. Others more talented and better behaved than I will simply provide the fix you need.

;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >I do have to appologise mate

No apology expected or required. ;-)

It's often the embarassing stuff that yields the results - 'to err is human... and there's a lot of us here'.

Personally, I've no idea whether it's the error-cause... just that there's no point trying to troubleshoot busted code. I've been taught 'Validate... then isolate... then ask.'

Whilst lacking diplomacy, I earn my money through criticism - I'm paid to find what's wrong with commercial operations. In stage two - the fix - I encourage self-learning by guiding folk toward solutions.

As I said, honestly 'I've no idea'... hence the line of 'fix that first and come back'. Others more talented and better behaved than I will simply provide the fix you need.

;-)
    That is spot on mate.

I'm trying to teach myself this with only a background of WYSIWYG drag & drop web design in DW. I want to learn as much as I can, but we all have to start somewhere.. Doing tutorials on the internet is fine, but some times the fundamental concepts don't sink in quite as well as they should.

I find that you do a CSS tutorial on creating a page with a left navigation bar... then you can create a world of different pages with left navigation bars, but when you want to add more elements you start to struggle.

The page listed may well look very basic to the majority of talented folk on here, but like I said.. I have to start somewhere.

I post on here for advice so that I can go ahead and learn about how people resolved my problem.. I don't just copy and paste the solution right into the code.. You learn by your mistakes

I'm onto the case to get it validated, then we'll see whether it works in the problem browsers tomorrow.

Thanks for your help fella

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy if I've helped - and you should see some of the c**p I turn out.

>I post on here for advice so that I can go ahead and learn about how people resolved my problem.. I don't just copy and paste the solution right into the code.. You learn by your mistakes.

That's a good attitude. I wish I had the knowledge to have been able to look at your code and spot a definite error - but I don't. As Zeldman says 'We're all learning'.

Sidebar - as a strategist/marketer (been called a few other things too) I'm surprised how much effort is expended on producing poor work. I'm not talking about your stuff and 'producing poor work' is something in which I *firmly* include myself... as I review my latest incident of getting caught in something I don't understand whilst doing stuff that'll not be too effective - hence my 'think before you code - what'll be the result and is it something you really want?'.

Sure, there's busloads of info around - although a lot of it is sometimes hard to find, perhaps less than optimally presented and sometimes in direct conflict with other stuff. I'd like to see a resource which, instead of 'here's how clever we can be' Zen Garden and A List Apart stuff, focuses on simple-and-practical for those who want/need to produce a page/site and want something that'll look good and work well - and hence not only explains the problems/causes/fixes but also strongly encourages 'sane use of code' rather than envelope-pushing. Whilst there's some great stuff at ZG - a lot of it is me-too wannabe dross. Without wishing to whine - and I realise this is a personal opinion (although one in which I suspect I'm not alone) - Dave Shea's BrightCreative is a needlessly fancy and overall weak presentation for someone of such undoubted talent. I think Shaun Inman falls into a similar position - and not just with image replacement. 'A shade too grey and a size too small' ain't a good way to create impact - though is a great way to rally support from like-minds. In contrast, flawed though it may be, BusinessLogs has an elegant and robust simplicity. There's probably a parallel with vintage harleys and eighties autos - one is 'near classic' and the other merely transient.

Zeldman (check Happy Cog) and Cederholm (particularly his Fast Company work) produce layouts which combine design and function. And Doug Bowman... well, his stuff just looks great everytime/anywhere.

Anyway, constructive rant over. 'til tomorrow then. ;-)
    Last edited by gulliver; Mar 3, 2005 at 00:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy if I've helped - and you should see some of the c**p I turn out.

>I post on here for advice so that I can go ahead and learn about how people resolved my problem.. I don't just copy and paste the solution right into the code.. You learn by your mistakes.

That's a good attitude. I wish I had the knowledge to have been able to look at your code and spot a definite error - but I don't. As Zeldman says 'We're all learning'.

Sidebar - as a strategist/marketer (been called a few other things too) I'm surprised how much effort is expended on producing poor work. I'm not talking about your stuff and 'producuing poor work' is something in which I *firmly* include myself... as I review my latest incident of getting caught in something I don't understand whilst doing something that'll not be too effective - hence my 'think before you code - what'll be the result and is it something you really want?'.

Sure, there's busloads of info around - although a lot of it is sometimes hard to find, perhaps less than optimally presented and sometimes in direct conflict with other stuff. I'd like to see a resource which, instead of 'here's how clever we can be' Zen Garden stuff, focuses on simple practical stuff for those who want/need to produce a page/site and want something that'll look good and work well - and hence not only explains the problems/causes/fixes but also strongly encourages 'sane use of code' rather than envelope-pushing. Whilst there's some great stuff at ZG - a lot of it is me-too wannabe dross. Without wishing to whine - and I realise this is a personal opinion (although one in which I suspect I'm not alone) - Dave Shea's BrightCreative is a needlessly fancy and overall weak presentation for someone of such undoubted talent. I think Shaun Inman falls into a similar position - and not just with image replacement. 'A shade too grey and a size too small' ain't a good way to create impact - though is a great way to rally support from like-minds. In contrast, flawed though it may be, BusinessLogs has an elegant and robust simplicity. There's probably a parallel with vintage harleys and eighties autos - one is 'near classic' and the other merely transient.

Zeldman (check Happy Cog) and Cederholm (particularly his Fast Company work) produce layouts which combine design and function. And Doug Bowman... well, his stuff just looks great everytime/anywhere.

Anyway, constructive rant over. 'til tomorrow then. ;-)
    Thanks for that, I'll look into those names.

I'll post an update tomorrow. thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, and todays update: No change

But i think we may be looking at something to do with the browsers at work.. it seems to work on every other browser I've tried.. bit of a risk to take though.

Anyone know? Cheers.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >bit of a risk to take though.

'If it's right, it should work'... yeah, it may be unwise. And, as the anomaly arises from diff versions of MSIE I think there's an error in the code.

Perhaps I'm missing something simple, but I can't see anything obvious.
    I think there's a css error on #nav {height: 20px;border-bottom-width: 1px;} because the background image is 20px and MSIE will bungle the box model - but should, I think, simply regard the height dec as minimum and hence expand it to fit the image anyway. Not sure though - and I don't know how others behave.
    All things considered, I think the 3d effect doesn't add to the impact and hence losing the bg image in favor of a simple background color (and one which highlights the links better) would be a wise move.

Beyond that, I'm back to 'Validate... then isolate...'. Having done the former, you could try the troublesome code alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble being, that only the browsers at work are experiencing the issues (and only some of them, even the same version).

So when I debug on a night, i have to wait until the next day to test. I think I need to aquire a work laptop if i'm going to have a good go of sorting this out.

Thanks again for your input.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was incorrect to refer to the background image size - it's not important and has no effect.