SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey!

I'm putting a resource on the web for a client. There are 10 chapters and each of them has 8-12 sections.... soooo..... at the end of each section on the page i wanted to have sort of like a chapter T of C. You know so they could get to any section of that chapter without going back to the main one.

Is that a server side include (SSI)? I'm using HTML and dreamweaver 4 for stuff i can't hand code... but if i insert a SSI then for some reason when i add it i can't see it in the browsers, but i can in my html page when in DW4.

I really hope this makes sence... the reason i don't want to add it just to the page is in case we add more stuff i don't want to have to go through all the pages and update it manually.

If its not a SSI that i'm supposed to be using, is it a library item? I"m confused... hmm.. really i hope this makes sence.

THX in advance.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you mean you can't see them on your home machine with PWS, then that is why. PWS doesn't handle SSI for some reason.

If you mean on your hosted site, then check with your provider and make sure that they support SSI (some don't)
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Actually I just came back to say that it was supposed to be a library item <i just needed a seciton that would update all pages right away>... but i'm still not sure what a ssi is. Oh well, thanks for your reply ...

I'm sure I'll have another question soon, i'm pretty new to this stuff..

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A server side include is a command that tells the server to include another file in the html file. Lots of pages use server side includes, or something similar (e.g.php) for navigation bars and menus and other things that need to appear on many pages. If it's a file that will be changed and updated there's a big advantage over a DW library item, because when the change is made only one file has to be uploaded to the server. If it's something that won't be changed, then a library item will do the trick nicely.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find a tutorial called "How to Save Hours with SSIs" on WebmasterBase.com.... you can use the site search engine in the upper right hand corner to find the article.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks man, I'll give that a look for sure.