SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vector_matrix, thank you so much for standing up with me for my beliefs. I appreciate it.

Originally posted by W. Luke
    The winners of this award will be leaders and innovators in the field of web design. Not only in technical achievement but in usability, design and understanding the needs of others.
    Are you going to be judging sites based on quality? For example, my site has decent usability - but the main part is the constant new content published. I think having an average, nothing special design and great, fresh content is better than a great design with no content.

So instead of complaining about the as yet non-existant award since it hasn't been given to anyone yet, maybe you could give some constructive criticism and ideas on it.
    I apologize - but my opinions are and should be considered nothing but constructive critism. I slightly disagreed with one of your terms and am apparently not alone - how is that not constructive critism?

Anyway, I felt the urge to stand up for my opinions, and although I did in stern manner, I would still proudly display the award graphic on my site. There's no hurt feelings.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by AlexC

well wayne, if you go here: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...doctype=Inline

you will notice that it does not meet the w3c validator

Alex
    Thanks... It does now as much as a dynamic document ever will. There is one small problem because of some inline javascript, but I will be fixing that later this evening.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mkaufman
    If Yahoo! wins, I highly doubt they're going to put a link back to SitePoint etc.
    Yahoo! would never win this award because they do not have a site that excels in Technical and Design Excellence.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for the curious, here is the award on a white background. As was said before it is small enough to be put on any website and it could be put on an award or accolades page, not on the index page.

Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That image is so small that it could easily fit on anyones site. I've actually never come across an award where you didn't have to put the award on your site?

Anyway, I would complain if I had to keep it there forever but I'm assuming like a month or two so I'm not complaining and I hope one day to win.

Also, Sitepoint would be sending us allot of traffic not them by placing the award.

-Peter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be honored to feature that image on my site.

The number one reason why Yahoo would not win the award would be: they would not accept it because they wouldn't agree to show the image on their site.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To flesh out my stance a bit more (and I'm definitely open to more debate), I think that complaining about a link back is ludicrous and stingy. I am a strong believer in reciprocal linking as a way of promoting traffic for both parties.

On my site, everything, including my backend PHP/MySQL code is available to the users (except my passwords). If someone uses some of my code, I ask only for a link back to my site in a credits page. However, I also will add a link on my page to anyone who uses my code, and I have a free-for-all links page as well.

A link is the basis of the entire internet, and it creates a very complex system of interaction and retrieval of content. How many external links do you have on your website? On my very small personal homepage, I'd say I have about 100 external links, all of which have target="_blank". What this means is that when someone clicks on the link after visiting my site, he is given additional information at more or less no cost to me, because my window is still open. Hence, linking in this manner is a purely constructive system which helps users and doesn't hurt you.

Now, _if_ you win this award, you will most likely get a good number of hits from Sitepoint, which I believe warrants a link back, especially when you consider that Sitepoint is a totally, entirely, completely free system of content for webmasters like me and you. You pay nothing and receive a substantial amount of benefit. For what Sitepoint doesn't specifically address, they have the forums (consuming a huge amount of bandwidth), which allow for individual questions, advertising, and social interation. As this thread shows, they're willing to listen to the opinions of their users and change their policies when necessary. To me this should show that they deserve a link back even more.

Finally, I am amazed at the greediness and ingratitude of someone who would be so ungrateful as to deny such a small thing as a link. It doesn't make much sense either. You should be proud of winning, and I'm sure that the regular surfers of your site will also be proud. Furthermore, the only way that Sitepoint's award can gain any weight or prestige is if people see it, and the name-recognition increases to something like the "Macromedia Site of the Day" for design/development. If you only hear about the award by visiting Sitepoint, webmasters will be the only people who know about it. So really, by displaying the graphic and linking back to Sitepoint, you are increasing the name-recognition of Sitepoint, Sitepoint's award, and therefore the honor for your own site.

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright Wayne, let me explain it better - it was an example..I wasn't saying that they should or shouldn't win an award.

This is fine if you don't mind placing a image on your site...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it was an example. I was saying they wouldn't win because they don't meet the requirements.

www.alistapart.com
    www.coolhomepages.com
    www.finheaven.com
    www.searchshots.com

These are examples of sites that could win this award.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zeldman comes here Wayne?

He's the gy who runs/owns ALA. I've never seen him on here.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link back is unreasonable

[Info] Our site recieves many tens of millions of page views per day [/Info]

Should Sparklit win this award, I would outright object to displaying an image on our main page. While i see the logic from sitepoint's pov we simply can't justiy giving sitpoint millions of free (advertising) impressions. Unless, pherhaps sitepoint gave us equaly prominent exposure and a equal number impressions on the main page of sitepoint ... (however, i assume sitepoint intends to cram the 6 winners onto an awards page.)

It just seems like a (overdone) scheme to exchange links with high quality/traffic sites.

Regarding the bobby and W3c requirements -- this is rediculous. If thse standars were (strictly) complied with any ( remotely complicated) resulting page would look terrible in many web browsers (eg netscape). Furthermore, many of the things that need to be done inorder to pass the bobby test make things more diffucult for alternative browsers and people with disabilites. For example an ALT tag is need on every image, even if the image does not add any content to the page (eg spacer gifs, deviders etc) adding ALT tags to these images makes the page harder to navigate using a text only browser and simply waste bandwidth.

just my 0.02 dollars ...

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Link back is unreasonable

Originally posted by Sparklit
    Regarding the bobby and W3c requirements -- this is rediculous. If thse standars were (strictly) complied with any ( remotely complicated) resulting page would look terrible in many web browsers (eg netscape).
    You can make Bobby as well as W3C compliant website, that does look good. Sure, it may require a bit of more work and some planning, but I think it is worth it.

For example an ALT tag is need on every image, even if the image does not add any content to the page (eg spacer gifs, deviders etc) adding ALT tags to these images makes the page harder to navigate using a text only browser and simply waste bandwidth.
    Quote wrong. If you do not specify ALT tag, whether it would be for a spacer gif (alt="") or for something else, it will show up as [filename.gif] on text browsers. If you use alt="" for spacers, text browsers do not see the images.

And the waste of bandwidth is ridicilous claim - first of all, it is very minimal and you could easily gain it back (and more!) by compressing your graphics.
    HighCheats - game cheats, codes, tips and tricks for PC and various console platforms

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmahonen,

But remember, ALT tags aren't only for those using text-only browsers -- they're for the disabled; visually impaired (like me.)

While I browse with images on, some disabled people have a program that reads the screen to them.

ALT tags don't take up that much more space, and if they do, it's probably worth it (at least in my opinion.)

Just something to think about...
    Corbb O'Connor
    Looking for quality website design or database programming?
    Contact me for more information and a FREE quote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can agree with Marc or disagre with him... However we already said we would work with him and asked him for his opinions. So instead of complaining about the as yet non-existant award since it hasn't been given to anyone yet, maybe you could give some constructive criticism and ideas on it.
    Originally posted by mjames
    I apologize - but my opinions are and should be considered nothing but constructive critism. I slightly disagreed with one of your terms and am apparently not alone - how is that not constructive critism?
    Just for the curious, here is the award on a white background. As was said before it is small enough to be put on any website and it could be put on an award or accolades page, not on the index page.
    Should Sparklit win this award, I would outright object to displaying an image on our main page.
    Please, everyone, let's READ what is said before posting. There have been a huge number of mis-readings in this thread, and it really seems to me that it's that kind of stuff that is causing the bad feelings and accusations here. Wayne has CLEARLY stated, more than once, that the link back doesn't have to be on the main page of the site; and that he wants to WORK WITH everyone to make sure that this award thing makes sense and works for everyone. (Marc, Wayne's comments about constructive criticism were clearly NOT meant for you--he was saying that you had already offered constructive criticism, and he was telling others to do like you had!)

So how come we keep hearing things like "SitePoint just wants free advertising" yadda yadda yadda?? SitePoint is not the Empire or Microsoft or anything like that--there are no evil intentions here. This award is intended to be good for the recipients, for SitePoint the company, and for SitePoint the community (that's all of us). What's wrong with that???
    InformationSavant - developing intelligent web business
    StrangePegs.com - collectible cards, games, toys, comics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Link back is unreasonable

Should Sparklit win this award, I would outright object to displaying an image on our main page.
    Good, then I won't nominate your site. That way you won't be inconvenienced by having to turn down the award.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

A rare visit into Sitepoint Forums for me lately, incase anyone wondered I am really busy with exams etc. at the moment so am taking a break from Sitepoint.

When I first read the requirments of the award I was also quite shocked. At first I thought the award graphic had to be kept on the front page of the site but now Wayne has said that it can be included on an Awards page I think it is perfectly resnoble. I would actually think that it would look good for a site to include it on the awards page. I think that the only way this would not be resnoble was for the graphic to be forced to be displayed on every page or on the index page.

I am not really familiar with the Bobby test (whops nearlly made an embarasing type there ) but designing to Wc3 standards is not difficult. Once I have finished a design I then go back and try to make it as standards compatible as possible, it does not usually mean any changes to the design at all and usually takes no more than an hour. As Nicky said there just because a site is not totally standards complient does not mean it can get the award as long as the owner has made an attempt too.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Link back is unreasonable

Originally posted by creole

Good, then I won't nominate your site. That way you won't be inconvenienced by having to turn down the award.
    Did there need to be a post for this? LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup...
    while I don't necessarily agree with the rules of the award, I also don't think it's necessary to be that vehement about posting the image on your site. They have already said that it does not need to be on the front page.

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I just draw your attention to whose idea this was ?

*MINE*

wicked, about time too

that'll be all.
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add my 2 cents...

The first thing I thought to myself when reading the requirements was "yea right, those are waaaay to strict"

you really expect people to follow all those w3c standards?

also, whether or not you your policy on placing the award on the page is forceful or not, the first thing I thought when reading it was, "why are they forceing people?...sounds like a quick scheme to get more traffic"

maybe it should be re-worded...

are you allowed to accept the award, and not display it? or if by choosing to accept the award, are you also aggreeing to displaying it forever...?

what if we all decided yahoo.com was an GREAT site, which it is. what if they say awesome, we accept the award and add it to our 5 million other awards...but they dont want to add a graphic to the front page...? they aren't winners anymore?

last thing: i think six awards per month is way too many. soon you will be struggling to find sites that even fit your criteria, and our let alone good. i think one award a month is good, and will ensure that the sites are good for a long time to come.

thanks...
    Last edited by jumpthru; May 30, 2001 at 23:32.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had wanted simply to use this as free promotion tool, I would have thrown out a bunch of 88 X 31 graphics, some 468 X 60 banners and possibly a few text links and said "Anyone who links to the SitePoint Community Forum gets a free t-shirt". In fact, I do not expect to get one page view from the winners. I expect to send traffic to them as others go looking and see why the judges think they are the best.

Instead we wanted to offer an award with a maximum of 12 winners a year and up to 60 runner-ups. That is a maximum of 6 sites a month. Not a very large traffic based promotion if you ask me. Once the Advisor's decided to pursue the award concept, it was decided to work towards making this a prestigious award. In order to do that certain criteria has to be followed. It isn't like we are looking for something impossible or even hard to accomplish.

I want to run an Award Program that showcases the excellent sites that are out there, quite a few of these sites belong to members here. I want to honor sites that put professionalism above advertising and affiliate links. Sites that take the time to care about their visitors and customers.

Each winning site will get a full profile and interview written up about them, this will then be published on the SitePoint Network and the owner will be highlighted as an excellent designer and programmer. They will be an example to follow.

The awards criteria has been re-written and will be posted soon in its own mini-site. This site is being developed now and the wording is a lot more drawn out so you know exactly what we mean, what we will look for, and what kind of site qualifies for our award.

The first award winner will be announce June 15th.
    Last edited by Hierophant; May 30, 2001 at 23:52.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, good that sounds a lot better. I look forward to seeing it come in action

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how we will know if weve been nominated

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead we wanted to offer an award with a maximum of 12 winners a year and up to 60 runner-ups. That is a maximum of 6 sites a month. Not a very large traffic based promotion if you ask me.
    I wasn't really sure if I should write this reply, but I am getting irritated by the attitude of the Sitepoint staff. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the runner-ups required to display the award? That means 72 high quality web sites a year? You don't consider that a large traffic base?

You also mentioned some stuff about how sitepoint isn't lookingf for traffic and will actually be helping promote other sites. Yes, you will be helping other sites but you will also be promoted and branded aswell. Don't require people to display a link to your site and then claim you aren't expecting to traffic in return. That's a contradiction. Say it's "the least you can do" is not an answer.

I am not claiming that SitePoint will be the first site to offer a contest requiring recirporcal linking, but considering the ridiculous list of requirements and the constant denial of valid arguments...... I don't see any reason to assume you have good intensions.

If you are revising the rules of this contest I really don't think that will make a difference, because you continually appraoch the users of this board with contradictions and unanswered questions.

I think people would respect you if you just admitted that SitePoint would be recieving exposure. But instead you chose to deny what is so obvious.

It doesn't really matter if you resolve the issues with this contest, because the arroagance of the SitePoint staff and users will still remain (That is why members of this community use other webmaster resources despite the existance of the all-wondefull-and-amazing SiePoint.com)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO YOU EVEN READ THE POSTS

Because for some reason, I think you just want a response. Maybe if you read and saw that we are listening to the members and I already said the requirements are being re-written. Obviously you have never applied for a LEVEL-5 award before... More info at www.awardsites.com

Nor have you ever seen the requirements for a true award. http://www.maestroawards.com/program.shtml

I also repeat myself... If you don't want to meet the requirement for the award, you don't have to accept this. This is not arrogance on my part or anyone elses, for there to be an award, there must be requirements and steps taken on the award giver as well as the award seeker.

By my estimate this award will add 40 hours of work to my month, so to say I am doing this selfishly is untrue. It will take a lot more work to evaluate each nominated site than it will to make sure the site fulfills the requirements.

No I don't think that 72 sites a year is a lot. Right here in our membership there are over 6,000 sites and we get over 500 new members a month. I don't see how 6 a month (less than 1 percent) can be considered a lot.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------