Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You tell them Wayne.

-Pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, how *will* we know if one of our sites has been nominated?

in any case, keep up the good work wayne. these standards are actually quite loose... i have seen some good award sites, and what they require. this is nothing compared to those.

i just ran a bunch of good sites by the bobby and w3c validators... most of them checked, while others could go throgh both with slight modifications to the code (although the marginwidth, marginheight, topwidth, leftwidth should be an exception that sitepoint *should* consider due to the lack of making a site pull that effect off in NS 4.x...)

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honging, the "rules" could be considered more like guidelines as to what we are looking for in an award recipient site.

As to how you will know whether you have been nominated or not, if your site has been nominated you will be notified via email.
    Last edited by Nicky; May 31, 2001 at 12:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Donald Sutherland said in Art of War. "There's no such thing as a free lunch, you have to pay the piper."

I believe it is true. I don't blame sitepoint for trying to get some traffic. It's the name of the game. If they don't get any revenue then there won't be no more sitepoint.

I've seen some Anime (japanese animation) sites out there that have an awards page with awards as big as 300x500 and they are very proud to get one. It says that all that sweat and blood they put into their site was for something.
    Forsteen
    Law of Probable Dispersal
    Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tell you the truth I don't see SitePoint getting much traffic from the displaying of these awards, rather, I see it happening the other way round with SitePoint SENDING traffic to the award winners.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surely that depends on the traffic of the site?
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great idea and I've no problems with the linking back part as wayne said that "it could be put on an award or accolades page, not on the index page".. so what exactly is the big fuss about.

Since you cannot nominate your own website, you have to ask yourself are people going to go through the rigorous validation checks for somebody elses page? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that it would lower the amount of sites that will fail bobby and the w3c html validator when posting their own. As webmasters would know, they thoroughly test it themselves.
    Last edited by neil; Jun 13, 2001 at 12:34.

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    To tell you the truth I don't see SitePoint getting much traffic from the displaying of these awards, rather, I see it happening the other way round with SitePoint SENDING traffic to the award winners.
    That sounds like a pretty snide comment to me. Forgive me if it wasn't intended that way. And can you guarantee that an awarded site will receive a high amount of traffic, and repeated traffic, from SitePoint? Of course you can't. And if you don't expect much traffic from the winners' sites, then why should they have to link back to SitePoint? Let's not be naive; SitePoint didn't introduce this award system as a way of displaying "outstanding work in the field of web development." It's a way of getting more traffic to SitePoint. It can almost be guaranteed that a hidden requirement is that the winning sites get a good amount of traffic already, traffic that SitePoint would love to have.