SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: opinions please

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even though economy is not doing all that well, I feel it's time for me to look for a new job (at least I want to try to find a descent one...). But before I do that, I have to redesign my current web site. It sucks so much I try not to show it to people and really have no idea how I got my current job having a site like that.
    Anyway, the idea is very simple: all I want there is my resume, portfolio and contact info.
    I am not that great (or, should I say not good at all) in graphics, so I am trying to keep it very simple. Here's what I have sketched in photoshop. I don't care about the colors or fonts at the moment. All I care about is the layout. What do you think? It seems to be the best one I thought of so far, but I have 2 problems with it:
    1. how is the home page supposed to look? I do not want any pictures of myself on the site and the main things about it will be the resume and the portfolio - so they shpould speek for me. In my current web site, I have no text at all on the home page - just navigation at the center of it. So if the first page has no text - what does it have? My hubby suggested having some fragments of html code move across the page (4-6 may be, not too many) and then a "welcome" appear. I am not sure if that is such a great idea. What do you think?
    If I just put, say, my name on it with the "Enter" link (or something similar - keeping it simple), where does that "enter" link take them? To the resume? To portfolio? Where?
    If the home page should remain the same design and layout as the rest of the pages, then, what should it say/contain?
    2. only after I looked at my design again, I realised that it is almost a mirrow image of www.orbusinc.com (I did the coding, but the design was not mine). Lines, navigation on the side, and a header on top of the horizontal line - you can see it clearly if you click on "Products". My hubby doesn't think it really is apparent, I am not sure about that. Since I will be listing this site on my resume, should I come up with another design for my own site, or is it ok?

Any input/ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks.

P.S. Hope, I posted in the right place.

I believe you have my stapler. scrubz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the design is simple, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not really the one to tell you about design since development is really my thing.

But, as far as the "home page" goes - a couple of suggestions.

1) You could put a couple of paragraphs about yourself. Something simply stating who you are, what you do, what you want to do, a brief summary of your areas of expertise, hobbies, and so forth.

2) Instead of the intro type of home page, you could make the home page your resume. If your intent is to send potential employers to the site to get information about you, landing on the resume probably isn't a bad idea. From there, they could link to the portfolio and your contact info.

I'd avoid scrolling text just for the sake of having scrolling text, or an empty home page that just has navigation to get somewhere else. They'll be hitting your page because they want to read about you - give them something informative to look at right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    affirmative.

Give them what they want straight off. That IS what they're coming for anyway right?

Since this is a portfolio/resume you should avoid anything "flashy" unless that is what you do. Since you already said that you are not a deisgner, then leave it clean and plain. Nothing wrong with that.

Last thing, I don't think that your mockup looks that much like the other site that you posted, other than it has similar elements. There are no "original" navigation schemes anymore. All of them have used already and are just modifications on the standards. You're not trying to break ground here, you're simply trying to post your resume.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scrubz and Creole are right on! Go straight to the point. If your focus is on your resume', then put that on your home page. If you put graphics on the page, try not to put anything on there that will compete with your message/resume'. People will associate any graphics directly with you. If you like things simple, stay simple. If you like flowers, accent your page with flowers! Well, you know what I mean.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOLOLOLOL

Dino, you really got me laughing!!! Can you guess???

Yep, my current web site has FLOWERS!!! LOLOLOLOL
    It was the first "real world out of a classroom" thing that I did, and I just couldn't come up with a theme, so I figured flowers are neutral and will work. I never really liked the way I did my site, but it was my first one

I am still not sure wether I will put some general info about myself on the first page, or will go straight to my resume. I had my doughts about the second solution, but here are 3 of you saying it's fine to do it this way. May be, I should re-think it.

If anybody got more ideas I'd be more then glad to hear, but in the meanwhile - thank you guys for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO if I was an employer the first thing I would be looking for is what type of education and experience you have. So I would put that on the first page. And then if they are interested put a link about you.

If its too fancy (to many pictures) it will detract from what you are trying to relay in words and it can be distracting.

I think anything moving, bright pictures, flashing anything isn't that much of a good idea. Keep it simple and pleasant.

That is just my opinion.
    Forsteen
    Law of Probable Dispersal
    Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.