SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Email Auto Verification Resources Needed

Hi, I wonder if anyone can point me to some resources about Email Auto Verification. I'm using ASP.

What my system is doing is after the user sign up, my system need to send an email automatically back to the user's email. The user only can login after he receives that email from our system. This is to make sure the email he keys in is valid.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This notion is sometimes referred to as "double opt-in", meaning, the user opts-in once by deciding to fill out your form. Then, the user opts-in again by responding to the email and verifying the signup by doing one extra step. -Maybe the extra step is clicking a customized link.

For example, you would email the visitor and give them a hyperlink to click:
    yoursite.com/validate_subscription.asp?email=bob@aol.com

The file "validate_subscription.asp" would then look up the user in the database and set a flag like "verified = 1" (maybe this field is in your Users table..)

To prevent tampering (people trying to validate other people's emails), you might want to include an extra piece of information in the querystsring like the UserID. The idea is that nobody could guess both and email address AND a corresponding UserID. When both match, you can switch the "0" to a "1", for example, validating the subscription or whatever it is you are offering...

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but is there any sample I can refer to?