SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all.

This question fits into loads of categories so i've popped it in the general one.

I've got a bizarre problem which I only know half the answer to. I've got a page at http://www.hull.ac.uk/hubs/new/ . The pop-up menus were created in Fireworks using one of it's built in behaviours. I guess the pop-ups are done using some pretty complex DHTML which is way beyond anything I could hand-code.

Anyway, I set up the behaviour to bring up the menus so they popped up just below the text link in the menu. If you look though they're appearing at the top of the page. I'm guessing this is because the script is using absolulte positioning to control where the menus appear and it's not working because my menu is about half way down the page. What are my options to fix this besides creating the entire top half of the page in Fireworks?

Help!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your going to need to go into the html code and change a few values to fix this. its contained in the javascript right at the top. you will see a set of two values in each subsection (5 subsections). the first one is set currently at 136,17 the second one is set to 189, 17, etc. the 136 and 189 are the absolute position from the left side of the screen i think, and the 17's are the distance from the top. change these by trial and error and it should take care of it.
    Last edited by lucas; May 21, 2001 at 07:25.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually lucas, nice try but no cigar for you If you look at the javascript that defines class Menu http://www.hull.ac.uk/hubs/new/images/menu/fw_menu.js you will see that those values appear to setting the width and height of the menu object.

There is a lot of code there but I suspect that this member function of Menu is the one that determines the x and y positioning of the menu object:

function FW_showMenu(menu, x, y, child)

If you go through your HTML code you will see that you call this function is called for the onMouseOver event for those menu images in the page. For example:

<td><a href="#" onMouseOut="FW_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="window.FW_showMenu(window.fw_menu_0,120,14);" >

So I would have a fiddle with those figures and see what happens.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    Actually lucas, nice try but no cigar for you If you look at the javascript that defines class Menu http://www.hull.ac.uk/hubs/new/images/menu/fw_menu.js you will see that those values appear to setting the width and height of the menu object.

There is a lot of code there but I suspect that this member function of Menu is the one that determines the x and y positioning of the menu object:

If you go through your HTML code you will see that you call this function is called for the onMouseOver event for those menu images in the page. For example:

<td><a href="#" onMouseOut="FW_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="window.FW_showMenu(window.fw_menu_0,120,14);" >

So I would have a fiddle with those figures and see what happens.

ughh. your right. right idea, wrong place

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just looked at the source code again for the Menu class. Nothing like a complete lack of internal documentation is there?

Anyway, it appears from the code that the function FW_showMenu(menu, x, y, child) will accept the value "relative" as the arguement for x and y

It would be worth having a fiddle with your HTML and changing the call to FW_showMenu to something like this (for example):

onMouseOver="window.FW_showMenu(window.fw_menu_0,"relative","relative");

Just to see what happens then. Also note that function FW_showMenu(menu, x, y, child) has a forth arguement "child" which you leave NULL in your HTML. As a hack you might want to create a layer in which you want the popup menu to appear and pass the name of that layer as the forth arguement?

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

upgrade...

What version of fireworks are you using. If it is 4.0, you need to make sure you upgrade to version 4.01. It fixes a lot of problems with the java menus...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sleepy so may be I missed something... but check out
    MM Fireworks Article 15001

Later,
    Dynamic HTML - Is that a Frisbee based language...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: upgrade...

Originally posted by wert
    What version of fireworks are you using. If it is 4.0, you need to make sure you upgrade to version 4.01. It fixes a lot of problems with the java menus...
    It's 4.0, I'm just downloading the 4.02 patch as I type this. Let's hope it sorts it out

Thanks for all the help folks.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just downloaded the FW 4.0.2 upgrade and my pop-up menus were still in the wrong spot. Now what???
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found this site:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/

Try it, it's exactly what we're talkin' about!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com