SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we've gotten several members for bringing this back.... If mods/admins are reading this;

Is anything gonna be done about this? Or did I waste my time making this topic?
    MK3DESIGN!
    MK3DESIGN.COM

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK3design
    1000? Maybe 100... Some people dont come on all day and just post and would take them a year to get 1000 posts..
    And others would manage to post 1,000 spam messages in a day.

(Yes, I realize itwas a joke)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we've gotten several members for bringing this back.... If mods/admins are reading this;

Perhaps the topic can be posted at the contests page to make it more accessible to people who are going to be interested in it? Just a thought as I only found it through a link on your name MK3.

It's a topic that warrants such visibility, perhaps the moderators will allow it since it relates directly to contests and contestants and sitepoint is such a large forum.

Best of luck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MK3design, that comment is actually a tad rude - considering I have been participating in this thread and given you reasons why we changed it back. I have equal fors and against about this from members so its not a simple decision. I am sorry that you feel your thread was wasting your time, but please remember we all have full time jobs plus trying to please every single member on this board is nigh on impossible so I make sure I look at all sides before making a decision.

The fact that the contest section is out most popular but also an added bonus means we need to think carefully - whilst we want new members we want new good members - we also don't want our time taken up by fluff posting just to keep the contest forum kind of happy - because actually something flares up every 2-3 month regardless of what we do believe me if there was a simple answer we would be there by now - there really isn't

BUT I do listen to all your ideas and read them all, but having a fuller understanding of the behind the scenes also means that I see things in different ways.

The last discussion I had people wanted less rules not more etc etc

As I said I take all ideas into consideration but I won't make a hasty decision without looking at the consequences on all sides..

Thanks
    Regular user

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Sarah.

The 25 post rule was not removed on a whim - we had valid reasons to do it.

If you are asking "did I waste my time making this topic because I did not get my own way" then maybe you did.

If you are asking "did I waste my time making this topic because nobody from SP has listened or taken on board my comments" then no you did not.

Token bold tagline!

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said in another thread somewhere - forgot where that was, grrrrr ... I am of the opinion that 25 posts do exactly jack [ add censored word here].

I did notice the increase of users, particularly very new users participating in the contest forums. However, I still don't see how that is a problem. I think that *natural* selection is the best form of selection one can have. How can anyone know the potential of new users? Sure, there are many who are still at the beginning which shows in their designs. But there are also a few very advanced new users. I think that this forum goes by the same natural rules as it would in a real world situation. Those who are eager to learn and improve, those who come backpacked with tons of passion and thurst for art will survive here. Those who don't have any of those attributes will most likely vanish into the dark soon. That is how competition works.

I still feel that I as someone who wants to become a good artist and designer has no right whatsoever to judge others for their skills, regardless of what they might or might not be. I started from level 0. So has everyone else. My goal is level 10 (however that may be defined) and I'd consider myself at level , uh, perhaps 2. Level 10 is still very very far ahead. But you can strive and these new posters probably have the same goals as most of us do. If they're in it for the money a priori or - in other words - if bucks are their main motivation, then these people will vanish in a matter of milli seconds.
    The reason being that an artist who puts money first and art second is unlikely to produce work that has substance in any shape or form, not to speak of longevity.

Ripping. Most designers that I have seen ripping - or to put it more diplomatically - borrowing other artists designs - were people with posts counts that exceeded the 300 mark. So, I doubt - here too - that the 25 posts rule would change that to the better.

I consider the contest forum to be a superb outlet for artists, more so than elsewhere with this form of exposure. The more variation, the better. And - who knows? Maybe one of those new guys or girls will one day sit on the throne of Artistic webdesign and laugh at you.

In conclusion, to me, the contest forum is a talent mill. It's a giant bazaar full of people with different mindsets, different ideologies, different cultures and backgrounds as well as ethics.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent points kohoutek

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is indeed a repper for sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    I did notice the increase of users, particularly very new users participating in the contest forums. However, I still don't see how that is a problem. I think that *natural* selection is the best form of selection one can have. How can anyone know the potential of new users? Sure, there are many who are still at the beginning which shows in their designs. But there are also a few very advanced new users. I think that this forum goes by the same natural rules as it would in a real world situation. Those who are eager to learn and improve, those who come backpacked with tons of passion and thurst for art will survive here. Those who don't have any of those attributes will most likely vanish into the dark soon. That is how competition works.
    You make a good point here, but on the otherhand, SitePoint offers this great outlet for people to showcase their talents and win money by doing so, why not help SitePoint out a little by posting something useful or contributing to the community a little.

I'm not saying I'm of this opinion, as I'm leaning both ways on this issue

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C
    You make a good point here, but on the otherhand, SitePoint offers this great outlet for people to showcase their talents and win money by doing so, why not help SitePoint out a little by posting something useful or contributing to the community a little.

I'm not saying I'm of this opinion, as I'm leaning both ways on this issue

Whom do you mean by this? Do you mean me? Just want to make sure I understand you before commenting.

PS: If you mean it in a general sense. I don't not see why anyone would discard the fact that being an active member on the contest forums is indeed a very useful contribution to the community. I find it to be of a great value in many ways and this form of contribution (namely artistic contribution) helps out quite a bit. I hate naming names, so I will leave them out, but there are a whole lot of designers that I find extremely amazing, sometimes even eye-droppingly amazing. Many of those designers post only in the contest forums, but if you take a look at the dynamic of the Sitepoint contest forums, you'll see that it is those people and of course many others too that make that place what it is now. But I'm sure you know this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant it in a general sense, not you personally The dynamic of the sitepoint marketplace is simple. A user makes a contest and people enter to make money. SitePoint is offering a gateway for people to make money and also for people to get quality services! Do you not think that they should give a little back to SitePoint in return by helping the community grow and perhaps helping a few users here and there before participating?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You obviously see the participation from a very different point than I do. It's what I meant with my first post above. If you see money being the primary factor, then yes. I personally disagree with this and think it's quite a bit more than that.

The community IS growing. People, even those who only post in the contest forums, help make the community grow. And - in fact , many people in the contest forums are helping others simply by participating. In my opinion artists such as designer a), b) and c) are giving back something. Perhaps more in the form of inspiration, which I find invaluable.
    Secondly, do you really think that 25 posts are a hindrance for anyone? Is posting a "quick" 25 posts going to add to the community? I sure don't think so. Not if the reason someone comes here is entirely the marketplace. If someone is interested in this community, they will add to it with their means. If they aren't, you won't be able to *force* them by a 25 post rule. That are far too few posts. No one is THAT lazy to see that as a problem. I have seen places where you neeed to be an active member for at least a month or two PLUS have xx amount of posts before having access.
    That seemed to work there. That prevented certain posts, but it also prevented people from returning. That may or may not turn out as a loss eventually, depending on a community's ideology.

What to say. I disagree. I love the way it is now. It is through that forum that I got to know and interact with a few people on here. It is through that place that I actually don't feel as lost in this really HUGE community and thus gain a lot more confidence to post in other areas of the forum. It's a good way to start. Me thinks so definitely.

Although, *cough* ... I don't think I'd mind if some of the really amazing artists in the contest forum showed me a Illustrator tipp and trick or two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh I think you guys are actually agreeing on the same thing

and partly I do also 25 posts did limit new people joining in that section of the forum, which is a shame but I can also understand why - but then those people are not worthy either way
    Regular user

Brisbane Media
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im getting married in 3 months... Maybe you need a girlfriend?
    I hope its a supermodel!
    Luke, Brisbane Media
    www.brisbanemedia.com.au