Thread: Datebase???

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!!
    I need something for the my website that will allow people to come register for the Member area of my site.. Like the Message Boards and Chat etc.. My site is not yet up. I'm still working on it, and have been looking for something to do this for me.. My question is: Does anyone know where i can get a Database tool ( i think that is what it is called) to allow people to register for the Member areas?

I you understand what i am asking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of things does your web server support? Can it do PHP / ASP / Perl ?

If you want people to have a single username and password for using the forums, chat etc you're looking at a very tricky job. Unless you write your own forum / chat software from scratch you will be using scripts written by other people - if you want them all to use the same username / password you will have to modify them extensively which will require some in depth knowledge of the programming languages used to write those individual bits of software.

On the other hand, if you just want people to be able to register for a "members only" section you might be able to find an off-the-shelf solution. I don't know of any off the top of my head but a search on www.hotscripts.com may come up with something that fits what you are looking for.

At the end of the day though it sounds like you want quite a complex customised system. Realistically the only way you'll get something like that is if you write it yourself (or pay someone else to do it). If you want to go down that route I suggest learning PHP (you could learn ASP if your server supports it but personally I much prefer PHP). Read my post here for information on how you can go about learning PHP:

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=18699

Hope that helps,

Skunk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I just want a script that will allow people to the Members only Area of the site.. The registering of the nickname didn't have to go to all the other things. They can have a different username for each things.. I'm gonna do a search now, and read that other thread. I think i found some!

Thank you..