SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

I would like to hear the input of the esteemed members of Site Point on the subject of website tracking programs.

Which ones to you use? Have you had success with them?
    I don't care if they were free downloads or expensive packages. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    "What other kind of business would you run?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,

Although I haven't heard much review (positive or negative) I like thecounter.com - it's easy, free, and they don't put any stupid icons on your page. The stats seem good and they have a feature which allows you not to count hits from your computer. If anyone has anything out there that's better, I'd like to know as well.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheCounter is good for a free tool. However, it does tend to miss out on some of your site's hits. I recommend installing Urchin on your server, it is a great web stats tool.
    www.urchin.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say enough about SiteMeter! I love their service, it's free, easy, and detailed. Plus, the tracker image is invisible.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question is asked often and this recent thread has additional member comments about web stats:
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=20230

And I also have to recommend *Free* SiteMeter for its reliability, custom features and great webmaster Dave Smith~~

::ALSO a reminder to all to utilize the "SitePoint Search Feature" link at the top of the forum page to find other related threads about the subjects that you are interested in.....WebKat::
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been using www.webtrends.com for the past 3 years, and found it excellent.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try www.websitereporter.com
    not too expensive, and gives a great deal of information about your visitors, all logged through javascript and available on your own server!

Have a great day,

Mike
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WebTrends is extemely popular in the US Federal government. The Big Whigs like the graphical presentation of the numbers and the different reports the program can generate. We've also used Analog ( I can't seem to find their site), but not nearly as powerful and did not have a GUI interface.

I guess it really depends on what you particular stats you are looking to track. I'm not sure how powerful and customizable some of the free/shareware applications are.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using websitetracker. I get 10 days of stats including referrals if they are available. I can get a summary for any number of days. It is a hosted program, so the info is not on my site. I can have the counter be invisible, and exclude my own log ons. I think I paid $30. So far I'm happy with it, but I haven't tried the others that are mentioned here.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AWStats

The open source AWStats (http://awstats.sourceforge.net/) is proving to be incredibly fast and thorough. When I first ran this program, I was overwhelmed by the wealth of information it provides, including a rundown of those pesky 'Unresolved' addresses.

Supports multiple languages and has the best referral report I've ever seen.

Visit http://awstats.sourceforge.net for a list of features.
    It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinions; it is easy in solitude to live after one's own. But the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

~~ Emerson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Reporting

I use webtrends. it was actually a little difficult starting out but after attending a class I really like it now. The 2 drawbacks would be cost and having a dedicated server. If you are running on multiple servers you need a licesce for each. If your log files are large you need a dedicated server to run the reports on, or be willing to not use your PC for a few hours. Other than that I really like it, you can run customized reports on a schduled basis, and have results in a wide variety of formats.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm developing a web based counter service with user statisics. it is available for general use here and if you want to run a similar service on your site, the scripts are available here

requirements are php4+ and mysql 3.23.32 or latest stable version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Jason,

As a developer, I found it was ultimately best to write my own, which I did using PHP/MySQL. It's simple to implement and has very comprehensive reporting capabilities.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3dstats.com

3dstats.com offers a very good service. Cost $18 US only per month. http://www.3dstats.com