Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SeoBook.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromate222
    However, to suggest Aspen has absolutely no idea what he's talking about is a strange comment. He clearly has some idea what he's talking about. I just didn't find it a very objective comment, that's all.
    ah no, he has no idea what he is talking about once again. We arguing the 300% traffic theory in under 90 days. I understand your a fan of Aspen's but I still believe he does not get it.

Right, no idea. Well lets talk about Google's update cycle.
    The google update cycle? What does the "google update cycle" have to do with increasing traffic by 300% through SEO? Your want me to base an entire thoery by one search engine? Well if so, try this? Baiting the google spider with keyword phrases that relate to multiple webpages that "ALREADY" exist on websites that are known for multiple spider visits a day. Then changing your content daily in order to keep those spiders coming back while you keep dropping bait. This is not my answer for everything, just enough to show you one method to increase traffic in 90 days by 300%.

So your saying your not allowed to add NEW content? Yeah right, most websites have close to none.

Also you point out that you already come up #1 for most of your keywords and your all capped out? What about all the other keywords out there? What you only target the top 5 in your industry? Your trying to tell us that there are only 5, 10 etc?

Anyways, clearly we have 2 sides of the fence here and we are going back and forth. We have the believers and the none believers. So be it. I was just in here trying to get the minimum posts so that I could post in the market place for a logo competition I was holding.

I leave you gentlemen to this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igotdreams
    The google update cycle? What does the "google update cycle" have to do with increasing traffic by 300% through SEO?
    I believe Aspen stated that clearly in his post and you missed the point. It concerned promising a % increase in traffic w/ in a relatively short amount of time considering Google's update cycle. As it stands right now if you are going to increase traffic by 300% in 90 days Google will almost surely have to play a factor.

I realize it is possible to hit that mark with some low traffic sites but it is a far cry from even close to 100%, regardless of SE/s, which is why making a broad statement like that comes off as bogus to a lot of people around here.
    I run an insurance company directory at InsuranceCompanies.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgray
    I believe Aspen stated that clearly in his post and you missed the point. It concerned promising a % increase in traffic w/ in a relatively short amount of time considering Google's update cycle. As it stands right now if you are going to increase traffic by 300% in 90 days Google will almost surely have to play a factor.
    this guy recently got banned in Google and only lost 7% of his traffic.
    http://www.seoradio.com/20050215-ban...c-sources.html
    not saying I do all the same stuff he does, but it shows there is a bit more than Google to the web.

Quote Originally Posted by bgray
    I realize it is possible to hit that mark with some low traffic sites but it is a far cry from even close to 100%, regardless of SE/s, which is why making a broad statement like that comes off as bogus to a lot of people around here.
    what is bogus is pretending that MSN or Yahoo! do not exist when they are far easier for the average person to optimize for.

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're really not getting anywhere with this thread are we

I could spend an hour and pick holes in every little point, but I wont bother. The problem is a few key points.

Firstly, in the beginning it wasn't clear that the "SEO Book" is not actually a book devoted to SEO, but instead a marketing book. The book title has led to a lot of misunderstandings.

Secondly, the whole "300% traffic in 90 days" thing. Thinking this was just referring to SE traffic (which is understandable given the book title, this seemed unlikely. We now understand that we're talking about multiple marketing techniques, so it's not so unbelievable.

Thirdly, the statement, "adding content is a form of SEO." Well, I can understand the confusion here because to optimize something, it must exist in the first place. Adding content is a great way to get more traffic from a search engine. But nothing's being optimized - just added.

As awall19 says, we seem to be mostly agreeing, but just arguing semantics, which is kinda pointless. From what I've seen so far, awall19's book looks like a great marketing book. My only comment is that the title is a bit confusing given the content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I bought Aaron's book and found it to be a great resource in itself. Will it teach you every single thing there is to know about seo? No.

What it does do is provide a great deal of common sense advice (if common sense is so common, why doesn't everyone have it?) and useful info which will help you jump-start your seo if you are a complete beginner and save weeks if not months of internet researching. For the more advanced seo/sem person, it will teach you more tips and tricks (never a bad thing) and also tell you where to find additional useful resources -- critical in any field.

All in all, my own opinion is that seobook is about right on the money. After all, if you can earn just $40 extra by implementing some of the suggestions, you have made half the cost back and if you make $100, you are into profit.

McF

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say, as a webmaster myself of a semi-successful website, there is no question that I am siding with the party who say that the 300% increase is possible and likely. Because I know that this happened with me, I spent 14 days hard research into SEO, then I went and spent 1 week implimenting, and my traffic increased I would say more than 300%.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is semantics at this point. Still, I like semantics

"300% traffic in 90 days" thing.
    That is just marketing puff (not that I could find it anywhere, mind). Surely a statement like that is designed to get more business than it costs. Simple sum, really. It also points out precisely who the book is and isn't aimed at. Sitepoint, CNN are probably not the target audience. Mary Jane's one employee Prom Dress Making business probably is.

Thirdly, the statement, "adding content is a form of SEO." Well, I can understand the confusion here because to optimize something, it must exist in the first place. Adding content is a great way to get more traffic from a search engine. But nothing's being optimized - just added.
    But adding content in a search friendly way is surely SEO, isn't it? Otherwise, what is SEO? Or is this just a definitions debate?
    Internet Marketing Australia - QUISQUE COMOEDUM EST

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if I conceeded this point, and stated that my book talked about how to organize content, how to get syndicated, how to build links, etc would you agree that 300% is not an out of range challenge for most of the millions of websites on the market.
    I gather your book, despite being branded as about SEO, is really more about increasing traffic through a wide variety of means. In this case 300% is a possibility because you can always add more content. This doesn't mean its not misleading. You call it an SEO book and people might be expecting tricks to do that with their current content, when in reality those numbers require the creation of large numbers of additional content pages.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The google update cycle? What does the "google update cycle" have to do with increasing traffic by 300% through SEO? Your want me to base an entire thoery by one search engine?
    Chromate already explained what the Google update cycle has to do with a claim concerning the timeliness of traffic increases.

However, to you, I'll just point out that while Google is just one engine, it has a huge share of the search market. Additionally other search engines function like Google so the point (that updates, especially to link popularity scores, take time), is universally valid.

Also, continuing to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about when I've been teaching people here for 5 years doesn't seem like a wise decision. Alot of people here owe some of their success to my advice and you aren't likely to get a friendly welcome with that behavior.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this thread needs its own musical score...something of the orchestral demeanor with a lot of timpani drums and the occaisional orchestral strike upon you reading the retorts.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or the Darth Vader music maybe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by projectphp
    That is just marketing puff
    Pretty much sums it up

Simon

Ps. I am sure the book is a great read but the wild "Unlimited Bandwidth" kind of hype does it no favors at all. It is marketing hype to sell more. No doubt gleaned from the "101 positive power words that sell" book

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    I gather your book, despite being branded as about SEO, is really more about increasing traffic through a wide variety of means. In this case 300% is a possibility because you can always add more content.
    there are many ways to skin a cat. any technique can help, but optimization is about effectively mixing available techniques.

IThis doesn't mean its not misleading. You call it an SEO book and people might be expecting tricks to do that with their current content, when in reality those numbers require the creation of large numbers of additional content pages.
    they may require creating more content. and may not. either way creating content is part of SEO.
    Chromate already explained what the Google update cycle has to do with a claim concerning the timeliness of traffic increases.
    and some of the speakers at SES NYC said that off the start they do not even worry about Google when doing SEO since msn and Yahoo! are so much easier to manipulate. which they are.
    However, to you, I'll just point out that while Google is just one engine, it has a huge share of the search market. Additionally other search engines function like Google so the point (that updates, especially to link popularity scores, take time), is universally valid.
    true, but I have had top 2 rankings in Google in 72 hours for terms that were worth over $10,000 a month. (and this was done after they created the litter box)

Also, continuing to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about when I've been teaching people here for 5 years doesn't seem like a wise decision. Alot of people here owe some of their success to my advice and you aren't likely to get a friendly welcome with that behavior.
    I am not trying to kiss anyones **** to make friends. I would rather be honest and like myself than be fake to try to get others to like me.

I do find it amusing that you consider your 5 years as credible and do no research before deeming others as being not credible. think you would have learned to do a bit of research sometime in those 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMc
    I am sure the book is a great read but the wild "Unlimited Bandwidth" kind of hype does it no favors at all. It is marketing hype to sell more. No doubt gleaned from the "101 positive power words that sell" book
    you really could compare my page to many others and see that most sales letters are way way way worse than mine.

I actually never originally wrote that sales copy stuff. a sales letter writer bought me ebook and rewrote the page for me. the sales doubled and I get few return requests.

shall I cut my income in half to make you happy with the sales letter?

please PM me with your suggested improvements to the sales letter.

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awall19
    true, but I have had top 2 rankings in Google in 72 hours for terms that were worth over $10,000 a month. (and this was done after they created the litter box)
    Surprising. Did they remain there?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure the book is a great read but the wild "Unlimited Bandwidth" kind of hype does it no favors at all.
    Thats funny coming from someone whoe sig says "Logo Design - The BEST on the Internet"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awall19
    I hope you won't take my question as an attack, but what corroborates this? Also, how did you achieve this (if that's not gods secrets)? I mean, what smart techniques do you know that other people don't and how do you get these info?

I'm just curious, not trying to offend you in any way by being doubtful about your techniques or your skills (a good occasion for me to say that some posts in this thread are close to what one call "trolling" in my book )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...what smart techniques do you know that other people don't and how do you get these info?
    Tricks don't make you money. Nor does anything stay hidden for long. It never ceases to surprise me that people think if they just learnt that secret here or there that they would suddenly be millionaires. The "secrets" are all out there and not hidden. Hopefully, a book, like Steve Krug's Don't Make Me Think, crystalise a lot of learning into a simple to read format that saves one years of trial and error, or puts issues in a framework that helps you get to you goals faster.

None of that is a secret, but it may be the "secret" behind many people's success.

Is seobook one such book? Never read it so I can't say for sure, but I would bet that most of the info in the book isn't "smart techniques" that Aaron invented and only his book offers, but rather an aggregation, in one spot, of a lot of information spread over blogs, forums and asorted learnings of Aaron's own.

IMHO most successful people read a lot of books on topics they are already experts in. That is the only way to stay the biggest expert: to constantly read, re-read and learn. Otherwise, you were an expert at sme point in the past, and life has probably moved on since.

My $0.02.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromate222
    Surprising. Did they remain there?
    for a good deal of time...about 6-8 months most of the terms stuck with no ongoing maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by ferret77
    "Logo Design - The BEST on the Internet"
    resource bookmarked!

Quote Originally Posted by duuudie
    I hope you won't take my question as an attack, but what corroborates this? Also, how did you achieve this (if that's not gods secrets)? I mean, what smart techniques do you know that other people don't and how do you get these info?
    what corroborates? the search results did. I showed a few people it. I have seen other people do similar. I placed a page on an already existing site and pointed a few thousand dollars worth of links at it and it ranked.

Tricks don't make you money. Nor does anything stay hidden for long. It never ceases to surprise me that people think if they just learnt that secret here or there that they would suddenly be millionaires.
    it is the same reason many people fall for internet marketing products which tell you that you can get rich by becoming a reseller of their stuff. many people are lazy and want a free lunch.

The "secrets" are all out there and not hidden. Hopefully, a book, like Steve Krug's Don't Make Me Think, crystalise a lot of learning into a simple to read format that saves one years of trial and error, or puts issues in a framework that helps you get to you goals faster.
    that is a great book. fun to read too.

None of that is a secret, but it may be the "secret" behind many people's success.
    totally agree with that. after you get to self sustaining each small improvement builds upon the last.

Is seobook one such book? Never read it so I can't say for sure, but I would bet that most of the info in the book isn't "smart techniques" that Aaron invented and only his book offers, but rather an aggregation, in one spot, of a lot of information spread over blogs, forums and asorted learnings of Aaron's own.
    that is how I view it. if I learn it and it makes sense to write it in the ebook I do.

IMHO most successful people read a lot of books on topics they are already experts in. That is the only way to stay the biggest expert: to constantly read, re-read and learn. Otherwise, you were an expert at sme point in the past, and life has probably moved on since.
    agreed. I also think many experts learn how to read books about similar subjects and carry those ideas into what they do (Seth Godin does a bunch of that). I try to read many books and ebooks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your reply awall19, pretty straightforward technique, but an efficient one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret77
    Thats funny coming from someone whoe sig says "Logo Design - The BEST on the Internet"
    Show me better. I have not found it.

Simon

SitePoint Zealot theHostingFinder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, awall19, the fact that you're here in person makes me more prone to believe what you claim. I've read so many one-page sales-pitches for "fantastic" products that I don't believe those much at all...

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    Oh, and I find it a little bit amusing that he points to the Google results for his keyword, and the only place you find his site on page 1 is in the Adwords, and mentioned by some affiliates who rank higher than his site, and the rest are competitors.
    Just wanted to follow this up, Aaron has his site on page one in Google for the term 'SEO' now. Congrats, and good work.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >> I created a free preview of a part of my ebook (the PPC section). you can read it free here:
    >> http://www.seobook.com/overture-adwords.pdf

That's pretty nice, awall19. Great marketing.

Did you find that anchor diversification helped fix the G ranking issues mentioned earlier?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >Congrats, and good work.

thanks Peter

>Did you find that anchor diversification helped fix the G ranking issues mentioned earlier?

yup

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an absolute newbie to on line marketing (affiliate first, then took a deep breath and bought my hosts site) I was delighted to find a book as readable as Aarons for what was previously to me total Voodoo and Witchcraft.

I was further delighted that he responds to my emails within the hour with succinct answers to my admittedly at times dumb questions.

When I also found I could get access to his continually updated list of directories in a convenient spreadsheet file, I was totally sold.

Many of you folks have sites that are ranking in the top tiers of amazingly competitive SEO keywords. Consider that the bulk of us coming to this forum and ones like it lurk about, and are trying to optimize for "Motorcycle Boots" and "Gas Scooter Parts". We do it as part time to our full time jobs, and think in seasons not days or weeks.

Sooooo, that said, readability and access to an author that remembers what it was like when he or she first started gets my vote. Some of you folks are pretty intense!

Consider your audience, don't be scary to your silent majority out here trying to make their sites sell, and be accessible. You'll get the book orders and the business that makes each of you successfull as well.

First day on this forum, but theres my farthing worth.

Harvey Braswell

www.gas-scooters-on-the-web.com Yeah, I know it's a long name, but who knew!
    www.neoscooters.com acquired in December '04
    www.legendbootshop.com about 3 weeks into it, not even indexed yet.