User Tag List

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't trust an unregistered domain!

How annoying.
    For the last 3 and a half or 4 months, I have been working on an open source free webhosting script. I decided in the beginning to call it masterhoster, as it sounded fitting and the domain was available. So as I am approaching the completion of the script, I decide to register the domain. Oh look! Some British webhost snatched masterhoster.com 4 days before I was about to register it!
    So after some thinking (and hurting myself for not registering the domain earlier), I spent several hours, in which I could have been outside in the beautiful weather (if that's possible when it's under 20 degrees under freezing outside) searching for a new domain, starting with m and ending with "hoster" (Because the logo was an m intertwined with an h, and I didn't want to create a whole new logo). After fighting with the domain name spinner and querying the hell out of thesaurus.com, I finally came up with a free domain with my requirements- multihoster.com (needless to say I registered it immediately ). Somewhat relieving, but then I realized I would have to change EVERYTHING- I'm looking at a whole day process. Another problem with it is, even though multihoster is probably a better name, it just doesn't sound right after 4 months of referring to it as "masterhoster".

The moral of the story- if you start a project, save yourself thedespair and register the domain immediately. It is definitely worth the extra eight bucks.

PS- out of curiosity, which domain do you think is better- masterhoster or multihoster?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are totally correct. One of my clients waited just like this (about 2 months) and then his domain names were gone. And he even makes this product actually - and has been for a very long time. Never wait, grab the domain right then and there.

As far as the names though - both are good for your project. I think with multi, you can capitalize more on that actually and think up a few good slogans.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering how cheap they are there is no reason not to register them immediately
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good advice to register the domain you want immediately. As Chris pointed out, they're so inexpensive, why wouldnt you? There's no reason anyone would be paying more than 8.95 for a domain these days, and if you look a bit you can get it less. I get mine for 6.75 now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the peace of mind of having the domain in your posession far outweighs the $9 it costs you to get it. I have a few domains for sites I haven't even gotten started on yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually made a point of finding (and registering) a domain name before I even begin developing a product/service. It's just that important, and as mentioned earlier, domain names are too cheap to risk waiting on.

Incidentally, I have probably a dozen domains for products/services that only exist on paper so far. I'll get to them someday (that's what I keep telling myself, anyway).

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell I have 18 domains names that I MIGHT use within the next couple of years and I've had them for at least 5 years. The cost of spending $8.95 a year to keep them far accedes the cost of losing out on a great business idea because the domain you want is now gone. It even beats the cost of buying it from someone later, and that's if they would even want to sell it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be a bit of theme in here, but I've got about 20 domains registered with no site attached, yet.

As for the name, I personally think multihoster is better anyway.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, good point, multihoster does sound better now that you mention it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have learnt this lesson before.

And, yeah, multihoster.com sounds better anyway.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I have an idea for something I try to register the domain name. As a result, I've got over 50 of them... many unused. Still, they're cheap and if I ever need them I've got them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is definately better to register your domain sooner rather than later. Domains are pretty cheap these days, and it's not too hard to earn back what you do spend on the name by parking it with a program like DomainSponsor.com.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can one go about getting this script? I looked on your site but all the links were dead.

Thanks

J

Quote Originally Posted by geniusgoalie
    How annoying.
    For the last 3 and a half or 4 months, I have been working on an open source free webhosting script. I decided in the beginning to call it masterhoster, as it sounded fitting and the domain was available. So as I am approaching the completion of the script, I decide to register the domain. Oh look! Some British webhost snatched masterhoster.com 4 days before I was about to register it!
    So after some thinking (and hurting myself for not registering the domain earlier), I spent several hours, in which I could have been outside in the beautiful weather (if that's possible when it's under 20 degrees under freezing outside) searching for a new domain, starting with m and ending with "hoster" (Because the logo was an m intertwined with an h, and I didn't want to create a whole new logo). After fighting with the domain name spinner and querying the hell out of thesaurus.com, I finally came up with a free domain with my requirements- multihoster.com (needless to say I registered it immediately ). Somewhat relieving, but then I realized I would have to change EVERYTHING- I'm looking at a whole day process. Another problem with it is, even though multihoster is probably a better name, it just doesn't sound right after 4 months of referring to it as "masterhoster".

The moral of the story- if you start a project, save yourself thedespair and register the domain immediately. It is definitely worth the extra eight bucks.

PS- out of curiosity, which domain do you think is better- masterhoster or multihoster?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know all about this one - I still remember missing out on freestuff.com back in the late nineties
    Domains weren't quite as cheap back then.... but hey - I was stupid and tried to wait till pay day!
    Definitely snap up any name you want as soon as you see it is available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the same boat as Beley, i have been registereing to many domains for project i have thought of and then a day or two later after i have the domain have rethoughts and gone oh that isnt going to work afterall. Actually just off to check another domain that is sitting in redemption period at the moment.
    Joel Brown - Orion Networks
    Techie-Central New Updated Style and Forums
    Stores - Books | PHP | Point of Sale | Pocket Drives

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    Considering how cheap they are there is no reason not to register them immediately
    Exactly. I would never even CONSIDER not registering a domain that I intend to use. Hell, I have half a dozen domains from sites or scripts that never made their way out - but I'm glad I paid for them, as opopsed to risk it had I waited.

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebby
    How can one go about getting this script? I looked on your site but all the links were dead.

Thanks

J
    Like I said, it's not finished yet. Oops, sorry forgot to say that. Should be out in a few weeks.