SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Font sizing - again.

Whilst reading about cross-browser reliable font sizing, I'll post here for suggestions to something I've not seen answered.

If I've understood this correctly...

Using relative sizing - example p {font-size:150%}, then p elements should be 150% larger than they would have been without the rule.

So, if I spec {font-size:12px} in html and body, then p {font-size:100%} does that provide text that is by default 12px and can also be resized by IE?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gulliver
    So, if I spec {font-size:12px} in html and body, then p {font-size:100%} does that provide text that is by default 12px and can also be resized by IE?
    Is that really hard to check?

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. The text will be scalable in IE.
    Setting a font-size in body kinda defines a starting-point for the font sizes. Every descending element that does not have a font size set to it by default (such as h1, h2 ... h6, td ) will inherit the font size from it's parent, and from it's grand parents (and so on) if the parent itself does not define one.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using relative sizing - example p {font-size:150%}, then p elements should be 150% larger than they would have been without the rule.
    Er ... yes. To be correct, the P element's font size will be 150% of its parent element's font size, so inheritance comes into play here.

NO!
    If you specify a fixed font base size, the text cannot be resized (in IE). 100% of 12px is 12px, which is still a fixed size.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo
    Er ... yes. To be correct, the P element's font size will be 150% of its parent element's font size, so inheritance comes into play here.

NO!
    If you specify a fixed font base size, the text cannot be resized (in IE). 100% of 12px is 12px, which is still a fixed size.
    Sorry, my bad. Looked at the wrong elements .

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't shouting at you, Johan. I just wanted to make the 'no' hard to miss.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, gents.
    My simple response to Egor's >Is that really hard to check? is this: As a Mac user, yes. Additionally, as forums are a place to share and help... those who know assist those who don't... the query is valid and hence your response is needlessly unconstructive and does nought to build respect for you.

Moving on... thanks to Johan and Tommy for providing the answer. It clears the uncertainty.