User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why put label/input combo within divs?

hi,

i think that the css related featured thread are very interesting. Even if it might seem basic at first sight (sometimes), it's actually asks deeper questions than what meets the eyes.

For example, in a recent thread, a few members suggested to put each label/input combo within a form.

I don't understand why it is a good practice. Aren't divs supposed to separate a page into different areas? It seems to me that a form can be considered as a single area (<form> </form>) and I can't see why putting divs in the middle of it is good.

Why not use paragraphs? Or why not style the label and input elements to achieve what is wanted?

I am probably missing something and I really hope that a few real life examples will enlight me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DIV is semantically neutral - it doesn't really have a set purpose like "separating a page into different areas", you can use it for whatever you want.

I think that the main reason some developers like to wrap each label/input pair in a <div> is so that they can exercise greater control over the layout, and also so that when displayed unstyled the form elements don't all run together into a big mishmash of text and boxes.

As I said in the thread you linked, I prefer to use <br /> as it has the same effect and uses a lot less bytes.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but <br /> is not semantic in this context.

Still, why not use a paragraph?

What can do a div that the styling of label/input combos can't?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A DIV is a division. It can be 'large' (like a section of a page) or small (like a couple of elements). It groups things together.

DIVs for enclosing a LABEL and an INPUT in a FORM is useful when you float the LABELs so that the INPUTs line up. You can then set clear:both on the DIVs to avoid weird results in IE.

If you consider a label and an input field to be a paragraph of text, by all means mark it up as one. For me, a paragraph is one or more sentences that belong together.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjshell
    but <br /> is not semantic in this context.
    Yes it is - I want a <br>eak between each label/input pair, so I use the correct tag.