SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really sure what the right title for the question is as I dont really know how to explain..

To help keeptrack of what parts of a site have been changed I have written a script that logs all data changes in a given directory and then conects and FTP,s the changed data upto the webserver, so far so good - it saves me flicking through the site trying to remember what changes have been made etc - I used to keep notes.... but I tend to forget (a:to make the notes &2:where I put them), anyway, thats all hunky dory...

What I want to do is somehow get apache to realise that the user has created a new folder in the $DOCUMENT_ROOT, and automatically run a script creating the relevant log files in that folder - so I guess am looking for a way to run a given PHP (whatever) script on apache startup - V4 of phpdev has PERL as well so thats an option...

I have this nagging feeling that the answer is obvious - but I just can see it !

- any ideas appreciated

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it apache allready runs some routine to make the directory, the only way you would be able to do the desired effect is by finding that routine in apache and editing it. Trying to work that out would be pretty complicated.

Not sure if its right for your situation by why not make directories in a different way? For example when you make a directory instead of just using mkdir, run a script, then that script can make the directory and do whatever else you want.

So rather than getting the make directory function to run a script, you are running a script which also makes a directory. A lot eaiser if viable. If your users allready have a web-based program to make directories this would be very easy.

Hope that helps.