t3_name

TABLE1_join_TABLE2
    t1_ID
    t2_ID

TABLE1_join_TABLE3
    t1_ID
    t3_ID

SELECT DISTINCT t1.t1_name
    FROM table1 t1, table2 t2, table3 t3, TABLE1_join_TABLE2 tj2, TABLE1_join_TABLE3 tj3
    WHERE t1.ID = tj2.t1_ID
    AND t1.ID = tj3.t1_ID
    AND t2.ID = 3

I have a search form with several options that equate to selections from all the tables. I am construct the query programmatically appending SQL statements if certain search fields are checked or filled in. For example, one field checks for all values in TABLE3 where there is a join in TABLE1.

What is going wrong is there might not be a record for a particular record in t1.ID, in TABLE2. SO, that record will not be included.

I think I need some kind of RIGHT or OUTER JOIN.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yes, you need some kind of outer join, specifically left outer joins

but of more concern is that you seem to be relating two unrelated many-to-many relationships

as a quick exercise, not necessarily in your database but on paper, consider three people: curly, larry, and moe

now give each of them one or more pets (cat, dog, snake, etc.) and also give each of them one or more cars (ford, chev, vw, etc.)

now show the result of your 5-way join

you can't do it without redundancies or duplicates

you will definitely get the wrong counts if you try to count either pets or cars while joining to both of them

it's inefficient, and requires you to use DISTINCT when you want something as simple as a list of people who have a certain pet or a certain car

the table design is correct, but joining all 5 tables in one query is tricky
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the right idea in that you resolve your M:N relationships by using an intermediate table that is 1:M with the other 2 tables. But you can NEVER join all 3 together, as r937 points out. To go from table1 to table2 you have to use a subquery, possible from ver 4.1

In the example you give here it is not neccessary

SELECT t1.name FROM tj3 INNER JOIN t1 ON tj3.t1_id=t1.id
    INNER JOIN tj2 ON tj2.t1_id= t1.id
    WHERE tj2.t2_id=3

Rename your id columns in each table to the same as you have them when they are foriegn keys - its a hell of a lot easier to follow and avoids accidents. eg t1.t1_id=tj2.t1_id otherwise someday someone will do t1.id=t2.id.