SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions abt creating web standards compliant webpages

I've been reading up on web standards and using table-less layouts recently and decided to muck abt somewhat. Looking at the codes of some websites and tutorials on the subject matter, i figure the use of layers (div) is important.

What i'm curious abt is whether if u use a WYSIWYG editor or notepad to code a web standards compliant website. I'm using DW and everytime i "draw a layer", i get sumthing like this code:
    Code:
    <div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; left:59px; top:74px; width:214px; height:227px; z-index:1"></div>
    whereas what i need is usually just div id=value or div class=value

I know it's as simple as going into code view to remove what i dun need but it kinda defeats the purpose of using a WYSIWYG editor if i have to edit the code all the time.

Or am i doing things the wrong way?
    Freelance Web Designer seeking work to build on portfolio

Accepting Web / Flash / Interactive Designing Work.
    Do drop me a PM to discuss if you are interested!

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YEah man thats dreamweaver for you ...... you must be using display view, and from what I remember DW defaults to absolute positioning when you draw what it calles "layers" (divs).... I honestly dont know how to shut it off (or if you can) as I dont use it!

So in answer to your question ....... its not you, its DW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Geckorian:

I used to "dreamweaver" all my sites (table based). Since I switched to tableless design, I found that notepad is too much easier, but, I still using dreamweaver sometimes to do some chores, for example, if I wish to change something sitewide DW "find and replace" is very usefull specially if the website has a lot of pages, or sometimes I use it to paste the text that a costumer provide, so DW will generate all the paragraphs... other than that, DW is more a pain than a help...

my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup! usually i start off at the design view but with this div thingy, i'm pretty much stuck at code view. sure seems like an aweful lota work to code a web standard compliant website from scratch. i ok with it as long as i'm doing the right thing the right way

i figure u hand code ur webpages huh dc dalton?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adris72
    Hi Geckorian:

I used to "dreamweaver" all my sites (table based). Since I switched to tableless design, I found that notepad is too much easier, but, I still using dreamweaver sometimes to do some chores, for example, if I wish to change something sitewide DW "find and replace" is very usefull specially if the website has a lot of pages, or sometimes I use it to paste the text that a costumer provide, so DW will generate all the paragraphs... other than that, DW is more a pain than a help...

my 2 cents
    yeah~ i was trained in notepad but embraced DW for the time saved. so when i was stuck in practically code view, i figured i must b doing something wrong. it's kinda like a step backwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use DreamWeaver for it's excellent syntax highlighting and CSS code help built-in. Also, if you make sure to check "XHTML Compliance" when creating a new page, it will make sure all code generated is up to par with standards. I never use design view though - I like to control the code. Some features are just nice to have and save time, like html tag auto suggestions for completing attributes and inserting images, etc. I have used text editors with syntax highlighting for so long, I could never go back to Notepad. I have been thouroughly spoiled!

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geckorian
    yup! usually i start off at the design view but with this div thingy, i'm pretty much stuck at code view. sure seems like an aweful lota work to code a web standard compliant website from scratch. i ok with it as long as i'm doing the right thing the right way

i figure u hand code ur webpages huh dc dalton?
    Actually once you get the hang of it its 10 times faster than what you normally do and you will find yourself moving further and further away from things like DW. I use a little $29 program called editplus that has all the syntax highlighting for about any language you can think of and has a lot of point and click things like form elements.... Im banging out MOST non-tabled layouts in under 2 hours lately... now debugging it in all the versions of IE and others is a WHOLE different story!

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver is great IMO....but just because of the ability to manage sites, syntax hightlighting, etc. Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG editor is terrible. I just use the code view in Dreamweaver.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Actually once you get the hang of it its 10 times faster than what you normally do and you will find yourself moving further and further away from things like DW. I use a little $29 program called editplus that has all the syntax highlighting for about any language you can think of and has a lot of point and click things like form elements.... Im banging out MOST non-tabled layouts in under 2 hours lately... now debugging it in all the versions of IE and others is a WHOLE different story!
    Off Topic:

Can you manage sites in editplus like you can in DW? I like dreamweaver for this basic purpose mostly. I can jump back and forth between all my sites I'm working on with ease. If so I might switch. Dreamweaver is a memory hogg
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------

Ding Fries are Done! inter4design's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out topstyle pro. Has great syntax highlighting, awesome css editor, can even validate your css, and has some ability to manage your sites
    DoesItMatter
    - anyone seen my underwear?

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "some ability" ?
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote is on HomeSite