SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linux - Mandrake - MYSQL??

I just erased Windows XP & Installed Linuk Mandrake 8.0 - Well well....Linux is a different world. I did manage to find the config file for the built in Apache server, but where is the MYSQL and how do I access it?
    Plus how do I change the user & password....any Linuix users on here?

Twitter: @TimIgoe silver trophy TimIgoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you might need to actually install mySQL, unless you have already when setting up the distro.

It will probably need starting using mandrakes 'services' manager, then at a command prompt you should be able to login using "mysql -u root"

a better solution (imo) if you have apache running with PHP would be to install PHPMyAdmin and use that instead. Makes administration much easier.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes...:)

Yes that was an idea also...I will try the last one..Plus - how do I install PHP on this..this is my first time with using an actual UNIX machine...Not like windows...

Twitter: @TimIgoe silver trophy TimIgoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PHP - you should be able to install it using the redhat installer (and cds) - if not, download an RPM from www.php.net and install it from that. Doesn't need much setting up from what i remember, full instructions are on the site.