SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to backup files to CDs?

Hey,

My computer is wack. It has about (last adaware se run) 600 spywares installed. Needless to say, it runs slow, even though its pretty good hardwarewise. (p4, 512ram, 80gb hdd.)

Anyway, I have a bunch of music, plus a few documents, website backups etc that I want to save before i reformat. How can I burn all my files to CDs?

Thanks,
    KYLe
    Kyle

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you think about burning these files to CD, I would recommend performing a full anti-virus scan on your computer and remove as much spyware as you can. Download Spybot Search & Destroy, update it, then perform a scan (I would recommend using BOTH spybot and adaware.) Then, download a trial version of Kaspersky and update it then do a full system scan. After you have done this, you can be certain that the files you burn to CD don't have any infections in them (it would suck to backup viruses and simply put them back on after you've cleaned your system.) Once you have done a system scan for both spyware and viruses, then it's time to get ready to burn a CD.

If you are using Windows XP then it's very simple to backup files onto CD. Just right-click on the files you want to have burned to CD and select Send To -> CD Drive. The first time you do this you should see a small cd-drive icon added to the task bar, double-clicking this icon will open the CD-drive for browsing. When you have gotten all of your backup files together, double-click the CD-drive icon to browse the CD drive. On the left side-bar of the explorer window you should see an option to "Write these files to CD." Click it and follow the on-screen instructions. Very simple.

If you are using another version of Windows and/or you want a more powerful package, I would recommend Nero. I received Nero Express with my CD-RW drive a few days ago and it's been very easy and powerful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, what you said about sendto>cddrive

I thought about that, but when I tried it, I go to send to, and there is nothing on there that says cd drive?
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using Windows XP? If not, what are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, winxp home
    Kyle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can just drag files into the empty cd folder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open "My Computer" and then right-click on your CD drive, then select "Properties." Once there, you should see a "Recording" tab, click on it. Then, enable recording and choose the drive where you want the temporary to-write data to be stored, you'll need at least 1gb of free space. After you have done that, click Apply and then restart your computer. Can you send files to the CD drive after you have rebooted?