User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extortion Doesn't Pay

Jeez, what a stupid spammer:
    N.Y. Man Arrested Over Instant-Message Spam

Anthony Greco, 18, was arrested Wednesday at Los Angeles International Airport, where prosecutors said they lured him from his upstate New York home for what he expected would be a meeting with the president of MySpace.com, a popular social-networking company whose users Greco allegedly spammed.

Greco had threatened to tell other spammers how he sent the unsolicited instant messages to MySpace users last fall if he wasn't given an exclusive marketing contract with the company, according to a sworn investigator's statement filed in Los Angeles federal court.
    [...]
    MySpace users first complained about the initial deluge of messages in October. The company scrambled to delete more messages before they were read, and it made changes in the service to deter the program Greco allegedly used to create new accounts.

The next month, Greco proposed a deal to MySpace executives: He would pay the company $150 a day for the exclusive right to send advertising to MySpace users. Otherwise, "I have no choice but to just sell off my coding to other people and allow them to pick up the projects," he wrote, according to an affidavit by Los Angeles Police Det. Frank Schweitzer.

Company executives contacted law enforcement. Greco agreed to fly to Los Angeles to sign a contract and was arrested when he arrived Wednesday. He was charged with violating a federal anti-spam law, harming MySpace computers and attempting extortion. Facing 18 years in prison if convicted, he was released Thursday under a $25,000 bond.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...antmessagespam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Prison isn't a good place for an 18 year old computer geek.

--ed

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. If he gets a full sentence that's like living his entire life over again- behind bars.

But whatever. I dislike spam. Go get 'em, court systems!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, should be on a chain gang doing useful work and making taxes to pay into FICA.
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uahaha.

Justice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed let the spammer pickup the soap.

buhuhahahahah!

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see something FINALLY being done about these dirtballs --- I dont care how old they are they all need to have their fingers broken and then be put in a cell with a BIG UGLY toothless, smelly roommate that wants to make them their "love slave"

Can you just imagine HOW much faster the internet would be if ALL spam was stopped (not like thats gonna happen anytime soon)....... OH MY GOD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh the irony. Maybe he can get some more adult photos firsthand in prison!
    According to its website, Greco's company, TGCashin Inc., promotes adult photo and video sites. TGCashin promises marketers half of any income generated by visitors steered to the sites. It urges such partners to "link to us by any means that are legal. This includes pop ups, image links, text links, or anything else you can think of."

The site also recommends that e-mail marketers abide by the same spam law Greco is accused of violating.

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow- just read the article for the first time- I could walk to his house! West Seneca is like 10 minutes away from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Murderer in the uk can get life in prison and he only serves about 10 years, and a spammer in the us can get 18 years in prison, something tells me the law system is very messed up!

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWebJunkie
    A Murderer in the uk can get life in prison and he only serves about 10 years, and a spammer in the us can get 18 years in prison, something tells me the law system is very messed up!
    In the UK or US?

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its great out the United States judicial system works. 18 year old kid might get 25 years in prison for spamming, but rapists, murderers, etc...go free on a lot of occasions.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Company executives contacted law enforcement. Greco agreed to fly to Los Angeles to sign a contract and was arrested when he arrived Wednesday. He was charged with violating a federal anti-spam law, harming MySpace computers and attempting extortion. Facing 18 years in prison if convicted, he was released Thursday under a $25,000 bond.
    It doesn't say the eighteen years is just for the spam. I'd imagine the extortion carries a heavier penalty, or at least it should. And criminals usually don't get the maximum, and even when they do, they often get out early on parole. I doubt he'll get the eighteen. It'll probably be more like five.

--ed