User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to my post count?

Last night I was on here and my post count was 997 and now its down to like 961....? What's this about?

I mean it doesn't really matter, just curious.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that's a bummer. Sometimes I feel that I am missing a few posts also but not as many as you are talking about. Maybe you misread it last night?

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume you misread it. I doubt vB did crazy things to it... it's unlikely.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, they must've run a recount, and they've moved posts in/out of the general chat forum maybe? What I really wish is if they made it so that post counts don't count in intro forum, and then recounted. People post there to inflate post counts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Removed threads/posts will detract from your postcount. So if you post in a thread to tell someone they're a spammer and that thread gets removed, your count will decrease. Maybe something like that happened to you

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe its Sitepoints evil plan to keep me from getting 1,000 posts!! That's got to be it...c'mon Vin, you're in my army, bump me back up. lol
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we should keep knocking you down

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_W
    I think we should keep knocking you down

I think you should be quiet!!
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most likely explanation is that you had participated in a thread which subsequently got deleted as Vinnie points out.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore
    Maybe its Sitepoints evil plan to keep me from getting 1,000 posts!! That's got to be it...c'mon Vin, you're in my army, bump me back up. lol
    yes it's an evil conspiracy we're out to get you hey are those aliens in your backyard?

PS: Since this thread was moved out of general chat your postcount should now have increased by a little.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: Since this thread was moved out of general chat your postcount should now have increased by a little.
    Does that mean that even my post count increased by 1 also?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    Does that mean that even my post count increased by 1 also?
    Yep

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright...my post count is back up to almost 1,000 If I wake up tomorrow and its back down to 960 I'm coming after someone!
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Hmm, they must've run a recount, and they've moved posts in/out of the general chat forum maybe? What I really wish is if they made it so that post counts don't count in intro forum, and then recounted. People post there to inflate post counts
    I agree, why do they have post counts turned off in general chat, but not in the intro chat. I mean people spam in that board just going from thread to thread posting 50+ messages that all say the same thing

"Hi, Welcome"

"Hi, Welcome"

"Hi, Welcome"

"Hi, Welcome"

"Hi, Welcome"

Sometimes I wondering if they actually even read the intros. I think its just to bump their post counts WAY up.

It throws everything off, sure someone may have 5,000 posts, but 3,999 of them are from the intro board, and then their avarage per day posts go up. It makes them look like they are a more active member then someone that dosen't spam the into board.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So what's wrong with posting in the Intro forum even if only to raise your post count? Is having a high post count so special that it must be only obtained through altruistic means? Does someone's post count really matter at all? Do you know of any awards or benefits for having a high post count in these forums? I don't. If people are doing it because they think they are impressing someone they are mistaken.

BTW, posting in the Intro forums is good for the forums. It makes new members feel welcome and a part of the community. That is a benefit to the forums and that is why they are counted towards post count. Anyone who runs their own forums can atest to how valuable those posts are and how beneficial they are to their community. If some people don't understand that, they shouldn't complain about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By your logic posts should count in general chat too.

I think the intro forum is fine - but the fact that you've got people posting the same message hundreds of times is a bit overkill.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the intro forum is fine - but the fact that you've got people posting the same message hundreds of times is a bit overkill.
    It also completely messes up my "New Threads" link. :\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The "posts counting in Introductions" thing is meant as incentive to get people to greet new members. If there was zero benefit to posting there there may not be as many replies to intro threads. I think it's an okay tradeoff to help keep the community friendly to newbies.

As for the "messing up new threads" thing, I wouldn't have any idea how it works or what can be done to fix it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and posting different posts each time is one thing. I was just browsing through, it looks like stymiee changes his post around, or actually responds to what the original post says. Most people just copy and paste "Welcome to Sitepoint." through it, which doesn't make any sense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are many threads in GC that are worthy of counting towards post count. Heck, many deserve rep as well.
    I agree with this. The people who cut and paste "Welcome!" annoy the heck out of me, too. But they're just taking advantage of the system and not really gaining anything from it so there's no point in taking it away from everyone else. Especially those who actually write very nice responses the threads in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    It also completely messes up my "New Threads" link. :\
    That drives me nuts!
    Yeah, and posting different posts each time is one thing. I was just browsing through, it looks like stymiee changes his post around, or actually responds to what the original post says. Most people just copy and paste "Welcome to Sitepoint." through it, which doesn't make any sense.
    Damn spreading rep crap...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a "noob with a low post count" here, I have quickly adapted to the laws of the land.

I was not aware, until now, that Intro posts count. Out of the 4 reps that I have received, 2 where from intro posts - I read the intro and responded with an appropriate? welcome:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...30#post1689330

and

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...95#post1513495

Of course Welcome, Welcome, Welcome... in Intros is post count spam for those that know how it works. I think most of us don't care about that.
    I guess I just 1 more post count?!
    http://www.tonsofwebsites.com Hosting Tons of Websites for years
    http://www.cpanelbuys.com Buying cPanel hosting companies
    http://www.namesvibe.com Cheap domains - Good vibes!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont mind the into forum. Counts dont bother me too much except that most of the reponses in there are the exact same thing in every post. It does make someone feel good to get welcomed into the community, but when everyone else has the exact same reply as they do "Welcome!", thats really not very unique. It may make someone feel good for a second but then when they notice that 30 other threads all have the exact same message all posted within 5 minuets of each other, not going to make then feel that greate. Also leads me to believe that the person really didnt read 30 threads in 5 minuets. Just opened the thread, ran their macro and went to the next one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa Teal'c
    I dont mind the into forum. Counts dont bother me too much except that most of the reponses in there are the exact same thing in every post. It does make someone feel good to get welcomed into the community, but when everyone else has the exact same reply as they do "Welcome!", thats really not very unique. It may make someone feel good for a second but then when they notice that 30 other threads all have the exact same message all posted within 5 minuets of each other, not going to make then feel that greate. Also leads me to believe that the person really didnt read 30 threads in 5 minuets. Just opened the thread, ran their macro and went to the next one.
    Yeah. Take a look at this thread. Nintendo has 700 posts, and he revived his own thread jokingly - and people are still copying and pasting. Looking at the first post would've told them the guy isn't new.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Take a look at this thread. Nintendo has 700 posts, and he revived his own thread jokingly - and people are still copying and pasting. Looking at the first post would've told them the guy isn't new.
    Another issue that drives me nuts.

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    So what's wrong with posting in the Intro forum even if only to raise your post count? Is having a high post count so special that it must be only obtained through altruistic means? Does someone's post count really matter at all? Do you know of any awards or benefits for having a high post count in these forums? I don't. If people are doing it because they think they are impressing someone they are mistaken.

BTW, posting in the Intro forums is good for the forums. It makes new members feel welcome and a part of the community. That is a benefit to the forums and that is why they are counted towards post count. Anyone who runs their own forums can atest to how valuable those posts are and how beneficial they are to their community. If some people don't understand that, they shouldn't complain about it.

I think maybe my posts in this thread are taken out of context? The initial post in the thread was just a "out of curiosity" question and has sence turned into what i'm trying to portray a joke. I in know way think that I'm special cause my post count is getting almost to 1,000 nor do I expect an award.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------