SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Windows/Linux compatible modems

I once struggled to get a Rockwell modem working with Red Hat. Now I want to put a Linux OS on another computer. I am thinking it would be easier to repacle the modem than deal with finding a driver for Linux. Can anyone suggest a make/model# of one that might work? Would be nice to get a quick response as I would be able to pick one up tomorrow (in time for a Saturday Linux install). Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically all "hardware" (as opposed to "Winmodems" or software modems) are Linux compatible - unfortunately, those are getting harder and harder to find.

Some winmodems are supported in Linux, but it's pretty hit and miss. You might want to look at the supported hardware list for your distro (Red Hat) - that will probably be better than nothing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a external router will work good. anything you plug in with ethernet not usb

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo
    a external router will work good. anything you plug in with ethernet not usb
    Why would you recommend a router and ethernet when it is quite obvious he is talking about dial up?

External MODEMS work with Linux and Windows as do external ROUTERS (is there a such thing as an internal router?).
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an external modem from Phonic Pro
    http://www.phonicpro.co.uk/products/...t_08-11100.htm

You can pick them up in Currys (Brit shop) for about 30. It doesn't play well with the internet winmodem under XP so I just turn it off when I want to use XP instead of Slack. Sometimes the modem is a bit ropey under Slack, but that might just be a configuration issue.

Basically though, you're pretty safe with anything that connects via a serial port. Look out for the full "Hayes AT command set" in there as well to make sure you get one that definitely plays ball.

Another thing I can recommend is to use different configuration tools, sometimes KPPP wont work and something like RedHat's Network GUI will. If you've got RedHat 9, I'd upgrade anyway, your modem might be supported in a different distro, RedHat has abandoned support for their 9 => series as well.

You might get lucky however:
    http://www.linmodems.org/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by len_chan
    Typically all "hardware" (as opposed to "Winmodems" or software modems) are Linux compatible - unfortunately, those are getting harder and harder to find.
    I know I have been looking for a modem that has the "modem on hold" feature that work under Linux. I have tried getting information from the modem makers but they do not seem to be interested, they have not responded to my requests for information..

With Microsoft still commanding a majority of desktops, the makes of hardware see little incentive to invest money in Linux. And those that do only do it just to get some functionality and not full functionality. Therefore things like "modem on hold" are not inclulde.

As you say it getting harder and harder to find hardware modems even thou most people are still on dailup. For me this will be the one main reason I do not make an attemp at Linux, one phone line and no "modem on hold" equals no Linux.
    SeeYa
    Firefox 1.0,Thunderbird 1.0, IE 6.0( only when forced to)
    Homebuilt 1.0Mhz AMD Thunderbird Iwill (MB)
    Ti Yogi Bowmen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an elsa etherlink dialup modem that worked fine for either windows or linux.