User Tag List

Thread: google domain

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google domain

how legal is to use "google" word in a domain name?

I know googlerankings.com does and is not owned by google. I want to
    try the same thing, do you think I might have some opposition from google?

I know about mike row and his problems with microsoft, but I am thinking
    google are not as stopide as ms regarding this issue.

The idea of site I have is a site dedicated too google, is not something
    that might affect their image or might misslead visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard stories of google purchasing domains off of people who have google in the domain name. I have also heard stories of google suing people.

What’s the worst that could happen, you purchase an $8 domain and if you get a cease and desist letter then I recommend doing so. In the mean time you can probably build up traffic and perhaps even sell it off at a profit to someone else while you are flying under the radar. Could be a good income opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by comfixit
    What’s the worst that could happen, you purchase an $8 domain and if you get a cease and desist letter then I recommend doing so. In the mean time you can probably build up traffic and perhaps even sell it off at a profit to someone else while you are flying under the radar. Could be a good income opportunity.
    That's not "the worst that could happen". You shouldn't kid people into thinking that $8 is all you stand to lose. Google could claim for damages that are far in excess of $8 if they felt you were mis-representing them.

Aaron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there's much they can do. There must be tens of thousands of sites that use "google" in their domains, and they can't all be sued.

The sites that get in trouble are those who are pretending to be something that they are not. As long as you clearly state that your site is not part of Google, you should be okay.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tens of thousands of sites with Google in their domain? Possible, though I'd be suprised. And I don't think that argument would stack up in court if Google sued you.

Aaron

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was a site about google, I don't thin it would be too much of a problem. However, if it was postwhygooglesucks.com, you may run into issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tens of thousands of sites with Google in their domain? Possible, though I'd be suprised. And I don't think that argument would stack up in court if Google sued you.

Aaron
    I'm not sure of the exact number, but believe me, there are a lot. Also remember that "google" is not just a trademark but now also a dictionary defined word.

Again, the only way you could get in trouble for this is if you pretended to be somehow affiliated with Google, or otherwise took advantage of their brand name for your own personal benefit.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    I'm not sure of the exact number, but believe me, there are a lot. Also remember that "google" is not just a trademark but now also a dictionary defined word.

Again, the only way you could get in trouble for this is if you pretended to be somehow affiliated with Google, or otherwise took advantage of their brand name for your own personal benefit.
    Even if it is a dictionary word, it's still trademarked, therefore still liable.

You are correct, that spoofing Google would get them ticked off at you - but bashing them would do the same.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A site criticising or parodying Google such as www.googlesucks.co.uk would be protected under freedom of speech laws - provided it didn't earn any income (even if it was only enough to cover hosting costs).

Whilst there are many sites which use Google in their name and many more registered names containing the word Google, it is a recognisable trademark and so Google would be able to take the domain off you for very little effort if they wished to, and they have a large legal department to do so. However, I'm assuming that your intentions are to build a site telling people how to improve their PageRank or earn money through Adwords, so there isn't necessarily any conflict of interest with Google. Some independent sites like googlerankings.com operate with the permission of Google's legal department. Firing off a quick email to Google explaining your intentions and asking for permission could save a lot of wasted time and money if you're serious about developing a Google-related website.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word or not google is a trademark and if you try and play off their mark you are in violation of the federal trademark act. If you bought the name googlemath.com and had a site completely unrelated to searching with its own colors and nothing to do with google, inc. you might be able to make a claim to the mark not applying, but that isn't smartguy seemed to be talking about. Making money off a domain that has google in the name is a violation of google's trademark, if 10,000 people or not that doesn't change a single thing. Ignorance is not a defense in the eyes of the court. However, as grademedia said, there are certain "fair use" criteria that let you use a name such as paradoy, comparison, news, etc... In these cases if you are making profit you generally loose your protections (see the walmart sucks case in which the entire verdict was decided over a few banner ads used to cover hosting costs).
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're making a site about a 1 with 100 zeros behind it, I think you're fine.

But, in general, be very careful when registering a domain that includes a trademark. Remember that even if Google doesn't win a lawsuit against you, that doesn't stop them from suing you. They can sue you if they want to, and win or lose, they have more money than you do and you might wind up broke even if the suit is thrown out.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you ask this a couple of weeks ago with thisgoogle domain thread?

This isn't an attempt to try to exploit the myth that Google crawls threads that mention Google more frequently than does to hreads that don't mention the big G! is it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a google domain

I own a domain with the word google on it.

After reading all your posts, I'm afraid I might have to leave it expire, as it can't report me any profit.

Until now it gave me some PR.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've had two very different experiences dealing with owning domains with Google trademarks in them.

In one case, I was able to get written permission from Google's marketing department to use their trademark in my domain. I operated a commercial site on it which happened to be both beneficial to me and to Google. I eventually sold the site for a profit. All good.

In another case, I had registered a domain with a Google trademark in it, and had not yet put up a website on it. There could not possibly be any infringement (or at least no damages to sue for) since the domain was never used. Regardless, I got a cease and desist letter demanding I transfer the domain immediately or be sued. I did so. I'm pretty sure Google has hired MarkMonitor to watch for new domain registrations that infringe their trademarks to send out the C&Ds before sites even go up.

If you really must use Google's name in a domain, try to get permission. There's a formal way to request it on Google's website. You'll have to dig around the "about" section a bit.

SitePoint Enthusiast cheap freelancer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your domain becomes popular, google will sue you and take the domain away from you, so you put all your hardwork for years , and one fine day google snatch it from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    If you're making a site about a 1 with 100 zeros behind it, I think you're fine.

But, in general, be very careful when registering a domain that includes a trademark. Remember that even if Google doesn't win a lawsuit against you, that doesn't stop them from suing you. They can sue you if they want to, and win or lose, they have more money than you do and you might wind up broke even if the suit is thrown out.
    Jeez. I wish more people would understand the sheer commonsense of Bleys post. Get permission off of google and you could possibly be laughing all the way to the bank providing you don't step an inch outside what they have agreed to. Stuff like trying to fly under the radar is just going to cause you more grief than you could possibly afford. Isn't life complicated enough without going looking for trouble. I registered a domain with the google trademark in it after seeking permission but never went ahead with the project because there were too many loopholes that would have left me vulnerable.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    That would be a Googol. Google is a made-up word.

SitePoint Evangelist croatiankid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grademedia View Post
    A site criticising or parodying Google such as www.googlesucks.co.uk would be protected under freedom of speech laws - provided it didn't earn any income (even if it was only enough to cover hosting costs).
    What about libel laws?
    Hrvoje Markovic
    Croatiankid designs

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiankid View Post
    What about libel laws?
    It's only libel if it's false and malicious. Libel law doesn't protect you against criticism for what you've actually done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geniusgoalie View Post
    If it was a site about google, I don't thin it would be too much of a problem. However, if it was postwhygooglesucks.com, you may run into issues
    Actually, it's quite the opposite.
    If you are not making any kind of money off it, you can blast Google- especially if it's a satire against google. Freedom of the press.

Keep in mind that in America, anyone can file law suit against anyone for any reason... Google's a big guy.
    Logo Design & Identity Branding Consultant.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think it is worth the hassle. They could make it cost more than it would be worth so why bother.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    Actually, it's quite the opposite.
    If you are not making any kind of money off it, you can blast Google- especially if it's a satire against google. Freedom of the press.

Keep in mind that in America, anyone can file law suit against anyone for any reason... Google's a big guy.
    That is not exactly how it works - be careful with this advice. And yes, anyone can sue anything for any reason but that doesn't mean that it will get anywhere in the court system.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+