SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ahve previwed my site (http://www.fortunoff.com) in IE6 and get a yellow warning icon on the status bar that says I don't have a privacy policy. Does anyone know how I Fix this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you have to have a link to your privacy policy on all the pages you wish to have IE6 pick up on it. Or at least when I was trying out Win XP beta 2 all the pages on my site where showing a policy in place except for the forum which did not contain a link to my sites privacy policy.

For more information you may want to check out
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/s...acyfeature.asp

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What fresh hell have the standards police cooked up now? Do you mean that a privacy policy is now mandatory. That link isn't working at the moment. I'll look as soon as I can find something. Does that mean that sites that don't collect any information also have to post a privacy policy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got through reading the latest builds update features list which seems to indicate that this build and the final build will only care about a privacy policy if your site makes use of cookies.

From the list:
    A key difference between the privacy capabilities in IE 6 and previous IE releases is in relation to the P3P based privacy policies associated with each cookie. While in previous versions users were able to do fairly extensive cookie management, users did not have any sense as to the site’s intent in relation to their cookie usage, and were not able to make an informed decision on whether to accept or reject cookies. The Privacy feature in IE 6 enables the sites to establish a trust relationship with their users, through their P3P based privacy policies.

This latest beta build exposes a wider range of privacy options, as well as it re-enables functionality that was present in previous IE releases, within the context of P3P policies. End users are now able to reject/accept cookies from a specific site and they are also able to be prompted for every cookie. End users can request to view a site’s full P3P XML based policy. Last, end users are able to import custom Privacy policies (this flexibility is useful for corporate deployment, or for organizations that want to standardized or promote different levels of privacy to end users).

We are looking forward to your comments and feedback on this functionality.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. That doesn't sound too bad. I wonder how it's going to affect sites which have third party banners, etc, that use cookies, though. It sounds confusing on the face of it, but maybe it's not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sites with third party banners just come up with a little alert beside the zone settings of your browser.

For example I'm running the latest build of IE 6 now and when entering sitepoint I get little icon at the bottom and when you click on it states that ad-runner does not have a compact policy.

I am noticing now that sites are no longer showing the icon saying whether or not you have a general policy in place if that helps mgray.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I fixed it....

Thanx to everyone for their help. I was able to generate a p3.xml form the following site:

http://privacy.bcentral.com/

It worked on some of the pages but not all. So I did an include in my style sheet of the policy and that seemed to take care of everything. I do have a link to a third party site on all of my pages but no content from them. Hope I don't have to change this when IE6 does a final release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rechecked your site with build 6.0.2469 and I'm not getting any warnings so looks as though your safe at least through this build.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the check

Great thanks, lets hope it doesn't change with the release version.