User Tag List

Thread: Data script?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya,

I have a question:

I am looking for a script that can take posted data from one html and automatically put it into another page, and then...
    I want it to check that data daily and update if necesarry.

Is this possible, and if so, can some help me out a little?
    I have a more than moderate understanding of scripts and the web.

Greetz.
    That's all folks...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You won't be able to do that with a client-side script on its own. Do you have any server-side scripts available to you?

If you do end up using server-side scripting to do it the data would be immediately written to a page, so could you elaborate on what you mean when you say you want "it to check that data daily and update if necessary".
    jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Tyhe
    I am looking for a script that can take posted data from one html and automatically put it into another page
    What information are you trying to copy and post? If you want the same information to post an every page but be able to change it in one location and have it update the whole site, what you could do is write a javascript.js file with a document.write() function. Then link the javascript.js file into your document where you want to have the information appear. This works well, for example, if you want to write a footer to your page.

As JWatt said, it would be easier to do with a server-side scripting language like PHP. But if you are not able to do this, linking a javascript.js document works pretty good. Let me know if this is what you are looking for or not. Is the information posted by a user or by you? I'm not real sure what you are trying to do.
    Joe Eliason
    Just a dog learnin' PHP from cat.