SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sitepoint can't handle publishing articles?

No offense, but the last 5 or so articles I've seen sitepoint published, they've ruined their front page. Not to mention, about 4/5 last articles appear for an hour, then dissapear, then reapper. Also, numerous articles' titles change within the first 20 minutes of the second publishing or so.

For an example of what I mean: I checked sitepoint's homepage just a few minutes ago and got this: http://www.warpspire.com/misc/sitepoint.gif (Times new roman)

No, it wasn't a cache problem. This occurred in several browsers, all emptying caches. Last article they published, the top bar (orange strip) had text half way down it, overlapping into the page.

Before that, there was text in the orange box that was two lines long, breaking some of the layout.

I hate to be cynical, or overly critical... I just find it kind of funny (albeit unprofessional) to see a web design firm messing up their layout every time they publish a new article (something that IMO should be programatic and not break anything).

I guess in the end, I've just lost some of the respect I once had for sitepoint. I've always looked up to them as a respected publisher, but not anymore. I know some people will say chill out, or don't worry about it... but when you work in the industry, you look for these things in professional web sites. You look for the spacing between paragraphs, you look for one pixel misalignments, and to me - completely misformatting your page is completely unacceptable.
    Studio Rockstar's Blog - A journey to quitting the dayjob.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You look for the spacing between paragraphs, you look for one pixel misalignments, and to me - completely misformatting your page is completely unacceptable.
    I read the paragraphs, not the space in between

While I can understand your feelings, I haven't seen any weirdness in SP's layout in the last few articles. I actually think the articles are getting better quality-wise too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant say Ive noticed any of what you said, maybe thats just me though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moved to a better forum.

Brak I will let the guys know and let them comments as I don't think I have seen anything weird either....
    Regular user

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any of these problems with SitePoint publishes a new article. Everything that it was only yourself?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a strange one. It looks like part of 'format.css' isn't getting loaded. I can certainly guarantee that's not what everyone is getting -- question is how many others beside yourself, Brak. I'll spend some time and see if I can work out what's happening.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's good to know not everyone is seeing it. As of now, it's been fixed, although I'm not quite sure what caused it in the first place.

I read the paragraphs, not the space in between
    You've obviously never had a QA professional go over your work! I tell you... paragraph/list/headers/footer spacing is what kills me. Although, once you nail it all perfect, it does look tremendous amounts cleaner.
    Studio Rockstar's Blog - A journey to quitting the dayjob.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, we have 70,000 QA guys go over the site daily

We actually haven't changed anything on our side in the meantime. If there's another person that is having an identical issue, it will give us something to work on, but as far as we can work out, it's only you so far.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the exact same thing a couple times a week, but I had just assumed it was a bug in Firefox not loading all the CSS properly - as that's the only browser that I've ever seen do that.

It seems to happens more often for me when I tell my morning bookmark folder to open in tabs (with sitepoint being one of the sites that's opened).

Don't know if that helps you at all. But it might just be a Firefox behaviour issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jeez Brak, you crack me up sometimes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealameda
    Don't know if that helps you at all. But it might just be a Firefox behaviour issue.
    It helps narrow it down a bit. Seems like it has something to do with the way/order stylesheets are loaded.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure if this is a side issue but I am having an issue with one of my sites in Firefox only (and netscpae now) and we think it might the order in which the stylesheet link is written.. we are still looking on it but I will let you know if we find a solution.. but like wise if you find it first can you let me know
    Regular user