SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    check http://www.areacool.com/toptest3.htm
    There should be a frame on top. U will surely notice a white space on top of the image. how to eliminate it. I mean to have a maximum of space on this top frame. is it a border ?, or something else ?,
    please, help me,
    Brian
    Ps: u should visit the http://www.areacool.toptest3.htm for u to understand the problem, overwise, seems a bit confusing!
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, you have to set the margins for the page that you call to that frame to "0" - in your case.....top.htm
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've searched in the top.htm frame the margins but i didn't see anything. Could u give me the code to set the margin to "0" , please?

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also need the code for a new window popup, with
    1) nothing else than the address bar, and the "File Edit View ..." bar. (javascript)

Brian

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this:

<body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

You could also use CSS, which is what I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Margins

Brian, you need to set the margins in the page that you call to the top frame, not the frame itself.....the page that has the table with your graphics in that you have named top.htm.

duckie has already given you the html for this....just make sure it goes into the body tag of top.htm

PopUp Window

This is the code I use.....

Code:
    function openWindow1(url_param) {

var popupWin = null;
      popupWin = window.open(url_param, 'remote', 'width=750,height=500,resizable=yes,menubar=yes,toolbar=yes,left=10,top=10,scrollbars=yes')
      popupWin.opener.name="main";
      popupWin.focus();
    }
    for which you will need to use a command in your html along the lines of......

Code:
    <a href="javascript:openWindow1('your_url.htm')>click here to open my pop up</a>

Hope this helps rather than confuse you even more!!!
    Last edited by Saz249; May 19, 2001 at 06:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for the "margin" code, it worked.But for the window popup, i'll try later. I have a rather "BIG" problem with my site. AS u should know, i'm obliged of inserting frames in my pages too hide the bad url (freething.areacool.com) ,whether a 100% frame or a 95% frameset. my problem is very difficult to explain. I'll try to give an exemple

Please try to record this case: Case 1
    When someone clicks on " visit areacool shop" on a page on my web site , a new window popup with only address bar, and nothing else. In this window, there is a 95 % frame for the main content (src="freething.areacool.com" ) , the the 5% frame, situated at the top , is for the "Close window" , "Back HOME (areacool.com )" , and for the other channels (drop down menu).

remember exactly this case ok?,
    now
    i have another page for the weather. (the page is at areacool.subportal.com/weather) , to hide this url,i placed a 100 % frame.now for exemple the same guy on the page of the 100 % frame changes channel, the same url will apear on top!, for exemple he clicks on "Chat". The http://www.areacool.com/weather will still appear on the chat page!. pretty bad!
    Same for the case 1 ( on top) , the same url will stay on top (http://www.store.areacool.com) , everywhere the guy goes!, and it will become PRETTY confusing , and it will all mess up will all the frames, could someone please help me!,
    Is there any frame breaker which exists ?, which breaks and erase all the frames???,

only solution??,
    HELP!!

Brian
    Ps: if u didn't understand, tell me, i'll re-explain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any frame breaker code which exists ?, that would be EXACTLY what i need! , I code that erase frames!,

please help me out !

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are java scripts that will break you out of frames, but I don't have one.

If you go to http://www.a1javascripts.com/ you should be able to find one. If not, there are plenty of other java script resources......just do a search for 'free java scripts' in any search engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANX!
    i'll try searching

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to help others out, there's a great popu creator out there
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/popwin.htm

Have a look!, save time

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man i'm TOO CONFUSE!!! ,
    it's so complicated with frames. VERY DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN !!!!,
    First of all, i need to hide some bad urls (scripts remotly hosted) , like http://www.areacool.FrEETHINGS.com .
    To hide bad urls, there are 3 Ways,
    1) Popup window with no address bar,
    2) Redirection (with url cloaking)
    3) and finally, the most complicated one , FRAMES.

I can't use redirection cause redirection will hide only one page's url. That means that when SOMEONE click on another link in the redirected page with url cloaking http://www.goodaddresshidingbadaddre...ormredirection , the bad url will appear afterwards

i can't make all my site with popup windows with no address bar , it will seem very ANNOYING!!!, ( while writing, i just thought of why not creating a popup window with no address ( for ALL MY SITE ). That is, when somebody clicks on a url (for exemple movies) from the index.htm , a new window apprea with no address bar. Then the user navigate through all my site in the new popuped up window with no address bar! , and for the url that i want the user see, like http://www.board.areacool.com , a new window popups up with the address bar, same for the http://www.auctions.areacool.com , same for the http://wwws.signup.areacool.com , ................... To minimize the annoyment of new windows popups up EVERYTIME, is there a code to make a url reload on the same popup window ??? firstly ,check if the specifique window is used , then reload it, if the specifique window is not there, then open the window popup menu!!) THEW , very difficult to understand i'm sure!!!)
    GOOD IDEA ???

let's come back to our frame problem. If i used a frame 100 % set in a "movie" page, with the url (http://www.areacool.com/movies , and the user clicks another link on that same page, the url won't change. It will be all messed up, when the user wil be on the music page, the url http://www.areacool.com/movies will appear!, not good at all!!!,
    so i thought of a frame breaker, which i could insert in all the pages (here music), so that it broke the frame ( http://www.areacool.com/movies ) and showed the music page url!!!, BAD IDEA, the bad url of the music will then appear http://www.areacool.FREESTUFFFORMUSIC.com. Maybe a frame breaker to break all the frames EXECPT one specifique frame ( which will be set at 100 % for the good url http://www.areacool.com/music)??, does it exists ???

PLEASE HELP ME!!!, I'M SURE U DIDN'T UNDERSTAND , BUT IF U NEED MORE EXPLANATION, I'LL RE-RE-RE EXPLAIN IT!!! (SHOWING MY DETERMINATION!), I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE WEB.

WHAT MUST I DO???

bRIAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just another small question, no concern with the thread

how to have a IE window as graphic. U understand ???, have a photo of a IE window. saved as a graphic.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

I think you're making this whole thing with frames a lot more complicated than it really needs to be. Frames aren't at all difficult, I promise you.

Why do you feel you have to have the urls like www.areacool.com/music and www.areacool.com/movies in the address bar. People don't need these to know where abouts on your site they are - not if your pages are marked up properly.

Ok...consider doing it this way...............

Create each page of your site with a table at the top with a navigation bar in it.............like this one at SitePoint, so that the button for the page you are on is slightly different. This indicates to the user exactly where they are in your site.

Then, for your index.htm page, create a frames page with one big frame. Set your home page (for example - home.htm) as the initial target for your frame. Then when people go to www.areacool.com your frames page will load with your home page on view.............and www.areacool.com in the address bar. When users then begin to navigate your site, that url will always be the one in the address bar, but with your navigation bar set up 'a la SitePoint', it will be easy to see which page is which.

Also, to get around the people who have old browsers or have their browsers set to not enable frames, you could replicate your home page in the 'no frames' tags on your frames page. If somebody with a 'no frames' browser tries to view your site, this is the page they well get. Unfortunately, although they will be able to fully navigate your site, they WILL see all the long urls, but there's nothing you can do about that.
    Last edited by Saz249; May 20, 2001 at 03:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    i understand your point of view, i also thought of doing it that way. thought of all possible solutions.

The small navigation bar on top , is it the
    Sitepointforums > Webpage Design > This thread

or the images

Build profit promote ,....

?????

secondly,
    The music, movies, horoscopes, jokes,.... pages are powered by subportal. That is, i should give them only ONE template of html for the music, movies ,........ thus preventing me from changing html for each page with the navigation bar colored where the user is in. understand ???,
    So it's should be a plain html for all pages. Only the contents are changing!, I am also VERY upset of getting all those contents from subportal. But i would really like to make MY entertainment page, music, movies,...... with my contents. But i can't. It's TOO LONG TO UPDATE . Then re-loading all the html pages. BIG work, and i have school. I really wanna be a small alloy, or masti. I thought of content management system. but it's too complicated for me. Believe me, i read kevin's tutorial about 6 times, all over, the 107 pages!. It's not getting in my head. Even if i had a content management, it would still be long, updating polls, news, articles,........ I know this is completely out of subject but i couldn't post it as a new thread, overwise BC , Chicken and all the rest would be SCREAMING at me . Please tell me what to do for my site, for it to become a big site ???
    Maybe i should do it with another guy???, and share the money from the site ???, to help me recover my determination, please tell me about how much a site like alloy or teen get from advertising. It sill surely wake up my determination

let's come back to the frames. I also think that it is VERY important for a user to come back where he wants,without having to pass through the index page.For exemple he wants to check his mail, it would be better to type directly http://www.mail.areacool.com , than loading index, entering mail,.........

Please tell me what to do with my site

Brian
    Ps:I'm very down about my site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, am I to understand that you are using other people's web content but with your own navigation system (basically leading people to think the stuff is your own)? If that's the case, then I have to say it's just a touch unethical. Particularly as your are talking of making money from it.

I know having a popular site is something all web enthusiasts aim for, but to do it this way is wrong.

I can understand that you're feeling very down about your site as you can't get it to do exactly what you want, but maybe you have bitten off a little more than you can chew. Try setting your goal post a little closer......then when you reach it, move it a little further away......and so on. I'm sure if you keep at it, you'll get your dream site one day. You're young and have time on your side.....use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really big THANx to you ,
    i'm very perfectionist!.

I'll try to CHEW well

Brian