SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With reseller accounts for hosting and domains I figure my annual cost for domain registration and hosting a site (20meg sites, 500 megs monthly bandwidth each) is $12.00. I would assume SBI can do better; so $299 per year should put a few $ in their pockets

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $12 for the year? SBI bangs their look-at-all-we-do-for-you drum loudly for their $299. I'm getting better at SEO and website templates are easy to buy.....I'm starting to wonder about SBI!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $12 a year sounds about right. I've got a host that charges $16.95 a month and I can have an unlimited number of sites that share the bandwidth and space. Basically, you're paying SBI for the use of their automated site creation and for marketing. If you can do it yourself, there's no reason to be paying them for it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! I'm ogetting better at the marketing and SEO. Now I just have to work on website creation. Any suggestions? Dreamweaver?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my take...

Here's my take for what it's worth...

$25 a month isn't all that bad if you consider all of the search engine and keyword analysis tools built right in. Some of the stuff you can find for free and some you have to pay for. I have not found all of SBI's built-in tools in one, easy to use format. If there is another place out there, I'd love to see it.

What is your time worth to put a group of tools together to make a site work? I like the fact that all of the search engines spiders are kept track of and my pages automatically resubmitted when neccessary.

I'm not an SEO guru but fairly knowledgeable and still learning. Using SBI I have gotten three sites (not all mine) into the top spots for certain keywords. Could I do so without SBI? Probably, but I have not been able to do so without.

SBI's downfalls? True FTP capabilities. To me this is the biggest one. It's a pain if you have a sliced Photoshop file with a ton of images that you upload without FTP. On the other hand, this has forced me to write cleaner code, rely on sites with fewer unneccary spacer blocks and tables and to learn CSS. SBI's limitation is no longer a problem.

One cannot argue with the success of SBI sites. One could make the argument that all of the same tools are available at a lower monitary cost but potentially higher time cost.

Any other questions? Fire away.

Chris
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Dale Carnegie

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I wanted 5 websites it's going to cost me $1500 every year? It just seems as though SBI punishes people for continually buying from them. Why not give a break for multiple domains?

Wordtracker is practically free and SEO analysis is not hard with all the great people on this board (thanks all!).

There are tons of free resources on Sitepoint...it just takes some time to dig. I think SBI is great for people that don't have the time, patience, and/or saavy to make it work. Granted there are a few people using SBI that are doing very well and they have no problems.

What do you think? BTW...I love this banter! It only serves to educate and reinforce what we believe.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Netspeed
    So if I wanted 5 websites it's going to cost me $1500 every year? It just seems as though SBI punishes people for continually buying from them. Why not give a break for multiple domains?

Wordtracker is practically free and SEO analysis is not hard with all the great people on this board (thanks all!).

There are tons of free resources on Sitepoint...it just takes some time to dig. I think SBI is great for people that don't have the time, patience, and/or saavy to make it work. Granted there are a few people using SBI that are doing very well and they have no problems.

What do you think? BTW...I love this banter! It only serves to educate and reinforce what we believe.
    Dear lord no. While I can't attest for SBI, I was at the beginning of my web dev career nearly swayed by their very persuasive marketing and sales pitches, but in the end I didn't take the plunge for precisely that large pricetag, Netspeed. While I'm sure their product has some benefits for those starting out, by reading sitepoint, webmasterworld, digitalpoint, and whatever else floats your boat you can quickly gain more beneficial knowledge than I think any software package could provide. $1500/yr for hosting your sites is absurd (You can get full dedicated server solutions from http://www.ev1servers.net starting at $40/month!, or easily other hosting options for $5/month or even per year! check out webhostingtalk.com). If you really want to use SBI I would just try it for one site at first, and move towards figuring out how this stuff works on your own before you shell out another $300.
    Breaking down their offer (https://secure.sitesell.com/build/order.html):
    -Brainstorming $200 (huh? They are charging you for using your own brain? I don't think so)
    -Design -$2000, I guess this is reasonable for a very good design, but there are other people dedicated to this sole purpose who probably coud certainly do a better job than any software could!
    -Domain renewal - ok, yes you will need that
    -Submitting URLs to search engines - Who does that? The best way for any SE to find your site is from inbound links.
    -Ranking reports - Digitalpoint will give you all the ranking reports you need for free (http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/)
    -SEO - you are already here, you don't need to pay for this
    -And the rest of those other 'functions' (Tips HQ, 4 Traffic HQs (what?)) seem to be some tricky ways to fool you into buying stuff you don't even need, or may not even be of value to you.
    I'm glad you've found WordTracker. It's certainly a great product and easily replaces SBI's keyword finding tools.
    And now visiting their website, what can I say, but information overload! Yikes. Why would you want to buy from some 'ecommerce experts' who can't even get their own information architecture sorted out?
    I think you are on the right track already, heck you found sitepoint! Just keep plugging away, reading as much as you can! Don't start spending money unless you know for sure it is going to make a postive impact to your bottom line. Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the $40 gets me hosting for as many domains as I want as long as I don't exceed bandwith correct? I've been spending all my time on Sitepoint hanging out with the SEO guys so I'm still learning about all the other aspects. Thanks again for all he awesome info!! I really appreciate it.