User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions of Site Build It

Have any of you tried Site Build It? Does it work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the URL?
    Best Regards,
    Chris P. - Founder
    Sites: Funny Videos / Cooking Recipes / Free Games / Short URL's
    AIM: chrisJOKEROO | ICQ: 20762139

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://buildit.sitesell.com/

I didn't include it in the first message, because I didn't know if that is allowed here.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, "does it work" is a very vague question.

Does it work to do what? What are you trying to accomplish with it?

Without knowing more, I can tell you I've tried Site Build It and I think it's a very nice product/system. It allows you to build and market a site very well and they provide great advice as well as they're always adding new tools. They just added a way to automatically have content you create output in RSS feeds.

For someone who is very proficient with web development, web tools, and online/search marketing, it's not necessary and can be constricting in some ways. But if you aren't very experienced, it's a very powerful tool for building, hosting, and marketing your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with converionrate. I actually started out using Site Built It but eventually found it to be constricting. They keep things simple though and do provide lots of support and tips. Best for beginners IMHO.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I thought any reasonable person would infer that what I meant by "does it work" was does it rocket you to the top of the search engines as promised? Does it allow you to earn a decent sum of money from your site as it claims?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any reasonable person would also know that "Does it work" is a bad question. Ofcourse it won't shoot you to the top of the SEs by itself, it is no magic bullet since there really is no such thing. Whether it works or not depends on who uses it. As with any other webhosting solution, YOU make it work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RenFromPenn
    Well, I thought any reasonable person would infer that what I meant by "does it work" was does it rocket you to the top of the search engines as promised? Does it allow you to earn a decent sum of money from your site as it claims?
    Even with the best tool in the world you could not achieve that if you don'T put in some work So yes, may SBI site owners are doing extremenly well, but thay have build a high quality content.

So if you are looking for a get-rich-quick kind of thing, this is not it.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked into it in the past. The biggest turn off for me was how they encouraged people to spam. In fact, I had some significant problems with their affiliates spamming my forums. The bottom line is, however, that you really can't do anything with them that you couldn't do on your own for a lot less money. The information you receive here at Sitepoint's forums is higher quality and more up to date than all of their ebooks combined, and you don't pay a dime for it.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    I've looked into it in the past. The biggest turn off for me was how they encouraged people to spam.
    I find it hard to believe that they would do that

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlovmb
    I find it hard to believe that they would do that
    I agree with you...Ken Evoy is a big spam fighter... strongly against it... so I don'T see why he would ask people to spam!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Hetu
    Even with the best tool in the world you could not achieve that if you don'T put in some work So yes, may SBI site owners are doing extremenly well, but thay have build a high quality content.

So if you are looking for a get-rich-quick kind of thing, this is not it.
    I'm not looking for "get-rich-quick". Just something that will actually help me make money, since I haven't had any luck up to this point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Hetu
    I agree with you...Ken Evoy is a big spam fighter... strongly against it... so I don'T see why he would ask people to spam!

Well, I find that an incredible position for you to take Stephanie, considering that in two different forums I've had to remove posts from you where you've spammed your SBI affiliate link. Granted, my memory goes back further than most people's, and you might not recall things you posted back in 2003. I recall them. I also recall that SBI recommends that its affiliates post affiliate links into forums. In fact, I had a 'conversation' with an SBI representative about this, when things got so bad with SBI spam at one forum I admin, and the blase response I received infuriorated me. He told me that SBI affiliates should be allowed to post their affiliate links wherever they wanted, because it was very valuable information and that I shouldn't censor helpful posts like that. I've had a bad taste in my mouth about SBI since then.
    Peter T Davis

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peter,

Sorry if I ever used an affiliate link in a forum post, this must be in the beginning that I used forums when I did not know better, because I never do that, except in my signature, just like everyone else does it.

I think SBI does invite people to participate in forums and add their link in their signature, but I doubt that they tell people to put their aff link in their post.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used it and can say:

- If you just start online, it's great. You can learn a lot and get your site up and running easily and in a good SEO way.

- If you are a pro/advanced SEO'er it's limited capabilities may be beyond you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you slightly...

Ren-

IMHO, SBI's biggest downfall is true FTP capability. Web ftp is partially available. The way that the technology is "hidden" from technophobes is great, but for many code geeks is a turn-off.

I've done Web sites for awhile and there is always another trick to learn, always another "hot new thing" that must be done. SBI is good at keeping it's users abreast of what's going on, without getting too technical. There are many SE tools available for us to use, often at considerable expense. I don't necessarily want to spend all day trying to keep up on the latest SE technique. I tend to like things simplified, so for me it's good.

That said, you want proof, right? I was able to get my client listed in the top 15 on MSN for her most important keyword. Total time to do so? Two weeks! There may have been other ways to do so, but for $25 USD a month (hosting, SEO, e-mail, etc.), I don't think that's too bad.

Comments, questions or insults welcome! (well, not insults)

Chris
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Dale Carnegie

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much Evoy is making off this SiteBuildIt. Anyone have any idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked out BraveNet or MSN's BCentral?
    The Online Guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshield
    I wonder how much Evoy is making off this SiteBuildIt. Anyone have any idea?
    Definitely A LOT.

I always get email offers from Site Build It! and I've heard the sales pitch a few times too, can't say I'm interested, but for someone whos still thinking that all you need to make money on the internet is a website, then I can see where the attraction comes from. Their testimonial pages are very well written, from a marketing perspective. SBI kinda reminds me of one of those ebooks that tells you how to make millions from sitting in your underwear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SBI making a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mook-Jon
    Definitely A LOT.
    I've wondered that as well. For my one site I'm paying $25USD per month or $299USD per year. That isn't much more than "typical" Web hosting. Sure there are some more and some less expensive, but then add in the cost of all the external tools we like to have and it adds up quickly.

How much does a company like 1and1.com make? They have a lot more users at $10-20+ USD per month. Or aol.com at $30 USD per month? I don't care if a company makes a profit, as long as they give a good product at a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mook-Jon
    I always get email offers from Site Build It! and I've heard the sales pitch a few times too, can't say I'm interested
    Are you actually getting them from SBI? Or are you getting them from users of SBI? There is a strict no-SPAM policy that users must adhere to. We break it, we get kicked out. If it's a user, I'd report them.

Chris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nalts
    Are you actually getting them from SBI? Or are you getting them from users of SBI? There is a strict no-SPAM policy that users must adhere to. We break it, we get kicked out. If it's a user, I'd report them.

Chris
    It's one thing to say you have a policy like that and another to actually enforce it. They didn't take it seriously when I reported spam to them.
    Peter T Davis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spam

Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    It's one thing to say you have a policy like that and another to actually enforce it. They didn't take it seriously when I reported spam to them.
    I read you other post on your exchange with them. I personally haven't seen that so I can't comment. Maybe they have changed, maybe not? Sorry, but I don't have an answer. Like I did mention though, if I spam anyone, I get kicked off their servers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont belive in this ****..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't believe it what?

Quote Originally Posted by nitroy2k
    i dont belive in this ****..

You don't believe in what? Which part? Web hosting? SEO optimization? The fact that people are getting traffic from using SBI? Santa Clause?

If you can provide details w/o cursing so I know what you're asking, maybe I can help. I do indeed use SBI. Am I an SBI evangelist? No, I'm a realist and use other hosts as well. (If you ask me about my Mac though, that's another story! LOL! )

I've had good results with SBI and know their system fairly well. I'll tell you the parts I like, I'll tell you the parts I can't stand. I'll tell you why it took me over three years before I decided to give them a try. Ask away and I'll see if I can help.

Chris

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strictly from a cost standpoint....
    SBI charges $299 per year per domain that becomes a website through them. I know they have an all-inclusive program but was wondering....is it worth $1500 per year (assuming 5 websites) for them to do all the hosting and so forth? The interface for designing the websites is good but you have to pay for that each and every time.

I have no idea what hosting costs would be for 5 websites and I don't have any programming knowledge although I'm getting fairly good at SEO thanks to the gurus at Sitepoint!!