SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A while back I was reading a thread about a newsletter pop-up. For those that don't know about it, basically what happens is when someone visits a site for the first time (or hasn't visited in the last, say, 6 months) and then leaves the site, javascript code is used to pop-up a small window asking them to sign up to the sites newsletter.

While reading the thread here at SPF, someone else mentioned the "tell-a-friend" script, which in turn gave me an idea

What about having a "tell-a-friend" window pop-up instead of a newsletter one asking the person leaving the site if they found the site useful and if so, why not "tell-a-friend"?

This could be used to help increase traffic to your site and once you have a good level of traffic you then change it to the newsletter window instead.

What are your thoughts on this idea?

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what if you've got no friends?

Seriously though, it's an interesting idea and I don't think i've ever seen it implemented before.

The best way to see if it works is to try it. Try implementing some type of tracking so you can track the ratio or 'tell a friends' to the pop-up popping up.

It does sound a good idea though, and I might even implement it on my new site

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluffykins is playing with a full deck in my opinion. The principles of direct marketing can be applied to marketing on the web. One of the simplest principles of direct marketing is to test your marketing campaigns through restricted trials. If the trial produces a favourable result - then impliment the strategy fully. So maybe give it a trial for a week or two and track the results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an interesting idea, but how often does the average, everyday user use those "tell-a-friend" scripts? I can't remember the last time I have, really. I would give your idea a try, but don't be surprised if it isn't effective. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that deciding what to do with the popup--newsletter solicitation or tell-a-friend prompt--would really depend on what your marketing goals are. I use the newsletter popup because I want to capture those visitors, with their permission, to market to later. If I use that opportunity to do the tell-a-friend thing instead, well, they may use it...but then I've lost the opportunity for future marketing to them. There is sort of a principle at work here which says "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." The visitors your site already has are worth gold--use them wisely. Getting more visitors is not necessarily the answer.
    InformationSavant - developing intelligent web business
    StrangePegs.com - collectible cards, games, toys, comics

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can also combine the two or using cookies you can make so that people who are already subscribed get the tell-a-friend popups while the new ones get the subscribe to our newsletter popup

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I use those tell-a-friend scripts, I get accuse of spamming...

When I see a page I really like, I just send them an ICQ message or simple email, more chance of the person clicking on the link that way than some canned message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..Looks good guys.
    But I rarely use these pop-ups...or even take a look at it.

The moment I see such pop-ups...alt-f4 is goes..haha

But hey...I actually used the tell-a-friend script from sitepoint. =) Attractive price eh? hahah....*hint**hint*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, as lynlimz said, there are plenty of users who will click out of a popup right away. But, there are also plenty who will take a look. One thing I really like about having the popup attached to the onUnload event of the page is that a popup coming at the user as they are EXITING the page is sort of unexpected, so they are more likely to look at it. Plus, you will have (if you've got some decent content on the page they were looking at) already established some trust with the user, so they are more likely to look at the popup.

Anyways, a technique that increases ezine signups per week (or whatever else you are trying to promote) by 500 to 1000% (in my experience) is well-worth testing out, at the least.
    InformationSavant - developing intelligent web business
    StrangePegs.com - collectible cards, games, toys, comics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just make sure you add a close window link or never show this pop-up again. =)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein