User Tag List

Thread: Getting work

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I'm thinking about getting some work this summer building web applications. Anyone got a clue about where I can find clients? What can I charge? Do I charge per hour or per page?

Any help appreciated!

regards,

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vidar,
    A good way to find new clients is to pull out that old phone book, dust it off, and flip over to the yellow pages.

Find businesses for whom you think a web site would be a useful tool for just marketing purposes, or set your standards higher. Check to see if the competition has a web site, if they do, all the better, if not it's still ok.

Businesses never want to be left behind when it comes to new technology that can help them increase business, especially if their competition is already utilizing that technology.

Contact the business and set up an appointment with the person who would be in charge of hiring someone to develop web site. During your meeting, bring up multiple benefits.

Include in the benefits that either they will be one of the first businesses online in their area (for their respective business type), or they need to join the competition so as not to be left behind.

Go through the phone book, identify your contacts, and inquire in person about setting up an introductory meeting.

You are going to get a much better response if you show up in person looking sharp and acting professional as opposed to contacting them over the phone.

If you call someone on the phone, you are going to sound like "just another telemarketer" and 9 out of 10 calls will be "no" then a hangup, or just a hangup.

Simply put, you improve chance of landing a client or someone "not quite ready, but contact me in a few weeks/months etc." if you show up in person.

That's all for now. HTH! (Hope this helps!)
    Isaiah Walter
    Owner / Visionary
    White Wonder Studios - San Diego web design & graphics
    www.whitewonder.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned a graphic and web design firm, and recently merged it with a networking company in my home town. What made it work so well were the contacts we had both made BY COLD CALLING (or calling someone out of a phonebook or directory for the first time). I had a lot of potential clients that would be better suited to target as networking clients, and they had networking clients that needed websites.

The point - cold calling is the BEST way to get clients. You might not land a sale right away, but you'll get your name out there. Be professional and truthful. Don't promise things you can't do... just tell them what service you provide, and how it will benefit them. I'll repeat the last part because it's the most important part - TELL THEM HOW YOUR SERVICE CAN BENEFIT THEM.

Don't ask them IF they want a website. Explain BRIEFLY what your company is about and ask WHEN would be a good time to meet with them. If they say they're too busy, ask them if you can call back in a month or two. NEVER give them a chance to say no... if they do be polite and say "thank you for your time." and move on to the next one.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to build web apps you should either charge a lump sum for the project or by hour, definitely not by page.

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you begin looking for work, make sure you have a good portfolio with at least a couple of real working websites. Even if it's just a simple Simpson's page, just something to show them. You can use cold calling like suggested before, but also try talking to a couple hosting companies that do not provide web hosting. Offer to pay a commission to the host if they send you clients. Also see if there is anyone in your family who owns a business, even if they aren't related closely. Tell everyone you meet that you build websites, it will spread and bring you new business. I told my Aunt that I could build websites, and about a month later a friend of hers emailed me and I got my first client. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anarchos
    If you're going to build web apps you should either charge a lump sum for the project or by hour, definitely not by page.
    Web apps by page would be sweet!!
    Just imagine the input forms, on this page you enter the date, and this page you enter the title, now click next and we can enter the description

I would be ready to retire already!..
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!