SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Can someone recommend some good scripts which will allow me to let certain users to write articles from a browser, which then get incorporated into the site - or any simple way to do it?

If anyone has got this feature then could they post their URLs.

Also I'd like something 'easy' to set up - I haven't used mySQl before if it requires it.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i consider that the best thing you should do is learn some php and mysql. Believe me, you will have to use it later. I've just learned it (from Kevin's tutorial) and i'm impressed with what it can do!,
    (if u wanna do it yourself,)
    u should have a database where the articles would be stored.
    If u want me to continue explaining you how to make a user add his article, please let me know, i'll try my best to help you!,

Brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers,

I'm pretty ok with php - I've done my whole site it, and written some pretty complex scripts : http://www.chillisauce.co.uk .

However I've only every used flat files as I was pretty daunted by the thought of mySQL.

I'd be very interested to have your thoughts on the best way to accomplish it. Basically I would need something where I could 'accept' a writer then they could write whenever they wanted (I can imagine the mayhem if anyone could just write).

Anyway I'd like your thoughts, and also any input from users who have achieved something similar.

Cheers

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try mArticle -- http://www.esuitetoday.com/marticle.php I have it installed on one of my test sites and it works great. Uses templates which makes the layout super easy to edit. You can have multiple categories, themes and a whole bunch of other stuff. Oh ya, has a search function too.
    Jason Dulberg
    Extreme MTB
    http://extreme.nas.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you run your own server then Kevin's tutorial tell gives you the info on how to set up mysql with apache, I think. If your hoted by somebody else they should have mysql setup really. Once you have it setup it's a low more flexibile and easy than flatfiles ever will be.

Imagine making the form for users to submit stuff 'title' 'writer' 'content' etc. then adding it to the database as easily as.

INSERT INTO table VALUES('$title','$writer','$content');

Neigh problem.
    You could add a password field and compare it against the correct password and give it out to your approved writers. Or you could create another table of username/password combinations, you could set for people. or you could go the whole way and make a users database where people can sign up under their chosen user pass and you can change their access rights.

That might look a bit weird, but read Kevin's tutorial and all will seem right.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the help - I'll have a read of Kevins tutorial and also have a look at that script.

I'd also be grateful to any other users who have similiar scripts instand and their views and opinions.

Thanks