User Tag List

Thread: Web Incompetent

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Incompetent

OK - I am an avid computer user and surf the web an average of 3-4 hours per day - since 97. I have 9 years banking experience, own some key domains and would like to begin developing some of my concepts. However, I know nothing about webdesign. To prove it, I began my venture about 12 months ago. I was referred to a guy by a friend, gave him $1000 and waited 5 months before finally giving up on the total slacker. I gave 2nd guy $1000 and waited 3 months for something I don't really like and is incomplete. How do I go about advertising for a designer that can come to my home and design in unison with me? I am willing to pay the $$ in cash, but I need someone who is honest and will design to my liking in my presence. Am I @#$% out of luck?
    Last edited by robinhud; Feb 12, 2005 at 19:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, those were some really unfortunate events. I hope all goes well for you, I sent you a private message if your interested.
    Strategic Command Center

"What's a small napoleon and where would i find one"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $1000 doesn't sound like a lot of money for a web site. Unless that was a deposit?

I would recommend you Google for design studios in your local area and make a decision from that. Might be a little costly, but at least you'll get your money's worth.

By advertising for a designer, you're opening a gate-way to many not-so-competent designers and probably only a couple of good one's.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    $1000 doesn't sound like a lot of money for a web site. Unless that was a deposit?

I would recommend you Google for design studios in your local area and make a decision from that. Might be a little costly, but at least you'll get your money's worth.

By advertising for a designer, you're opening a gate-way to many not-so-competent designers and probably only a couple of good one's.
    The $1000 was a ddeposit. I want to build the thing in stages so I can FEEL my way through the application. Right now I just need someone who can duplicate a flyer. I f I had the proper skills I could probably pull it off in an hour, but I do not. *Maybe I shpuld just pay to go back to school, learn the skills and do it all myself. Frustrated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much information do you give your designers to go off of? Most designers (myself included) don't really like the thought of a client looking over their shoulder and offering criticism every 5 minutes. It really throws concentration off and can get aggravating.

I totally agree with finding someone you trust though. Maybe find someone local to your area (see if there's a subdomain of craigslist.org for your city/town) and meet with them every few days to check on progress, so nothing is a big surprise and changes don't take long to do. The best advice I can give you is to have clear ideas for the designer so they can understand you as much as possible before beginning the project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    How much information do you give your designers to go off of? Most designers (myself included) don't really like the thought of a client looking over their shoulder and offering criticism every 5 minutes. It really throws concentration off and can get aggravating.

I totally agree with finding someone you trust though. Maybe find someone local to your area (see if there's a subdomain of craigslist.org for your city/town) and meet with them every few days to check on progress, so nothing is a big surprise and changes don't take long to do. The best advice I can give you is to have clear ideas for the designer so they can understand you as much as possible before beginning the project.

I guess I did not explain myself clearly. I need to "interact" with my designer because I like to take bits and pieces from other areas of the internet in order to create what I am looking for. We will design the piece together, not to mention I would like to learn some of the process so that simple changes down the road can be handled by myself. What I want is extremely easy - I have plenty of cash - but I need to be part of the process unless I can find that person that can really run with my ideas. *Who knows - I feel like I need to go back to school and learn to paint my own MOna Lisa since it it is so hard to convey this to someone else. So simple, yet so hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhud
    I guess I did not explain myself clearly. I need to "interact" with my designer because I like to take bits and pieces from other areas of the internet in order to create what I am looking for. We will design the piece together, not to mention I would like to learn some of the process so that simple changes down the road can be handled by myself. What I want is extremely easy - I have plenty of cash - but I need to be part of the process unless I can find that person that can really run with my ideas. *Who knows - I feel like I need to go back to school and learn to paint my own MOna Lisa since it it is so hard to convey this to someone else. So simple, yet so hard.
    Perhaps you should ask for "tutoring" or something similar instead of a web designer. That way, it is known up front that you'll be a big part of the process. If you advertising is more targetted you'll probably get people better suited to what you're looking for

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first task is to replicate a flyer in pdf format. I want to make this my homepage so that I can distribute 20,000 flyers that contain the web address. After that, I am looking to do a simplified version (4 pages max) of rent.com.

Here is the flyer:

https://www.communityempower.com/docs/Travis_Poster.pdf

* I am an affiliate of the company,

marcussims.communityempower.com

ANY TAKERS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might want to post that in the "Looking To Hire" section here. You need a minimum of 25 posts before you can start a thread though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to post that in the "Looking To Hire" section here. You need a minimum of 25 posts before you can start a thread though.
    OK - so let's continue the posts. First question. The flyer in question is in pdf format, but looks to be created in Word. What is the process for "transfering" content from .doc to .pdf?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also - let me give some scope here. I am trying to expedite the process here bcause there is a private 120 million dollar bond that is getting ready to become available in the Texas market for people who have blemished credit, but want/or need to own a home of their own now. The bond will become available in 60 days and I want an "inform and capture site with a unique URL. Something simple. Once that occurrs, I want to begin enhancing the site to make it more of an application vs. advertising board. The convept is an emerging markets piece that Wall Street should warm up to FAST. I want to be on the forefront. The implications are in the high 7 figure range. * Anyone hear last week of EBAY buying RENT.com. God, what a simple concept. And no lender involvement. My application will be a big threat to the apartment community as it will show people how to live in homes vs. apartments for just about the same cost in MOST markets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK - so let's continue the posts. First question. The flyer in question is in pdf format, but looks to be created in Word. What is the process for "transfering" content from .doc to .pdf?
    You need software like Adobe Acrobat to convert Word documents to PDF. It's an easy process, but Acrobat costs some $$.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    deskPDF seems to do what you need, at only $19.00.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have adobe 6.0. Is that what you are talking about?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deskPDF seems to do what you need, at only $19.00.
    AH HA! OK - now we are getting somewhere. Let me take a quick peek at this piece. Do you create the documents in this FORMAT or do you create and then apply the format to the created document?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have adobe 6.0. Is that what you are talking about?
    Do you have Acrobat, or just Acrobat Reader? The reader will let you view PDF files but you can't create them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Do you have Acrobat, or just Acrobat Reader? The reader will let you view PDF files but you can't create them.

Yep, it is reader. Nice point. Thanks.

*** So, tell me. After 25 posts, would it be too difficult to find someone to begin piecemailing some work for me? Also, does the pdf document below look to you like it is a word(.doc) piece?

https://www.communityempower.com/docs/Travis_Poster.pdf

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AH HA! OK - now we are getting somewhere. Let me take a quick peek at this piece. Do you create the documents in this FORMAT or do you create and then apply the format to the created document?
    It should create a [Print to Pdf] button in the Print dialog box in Word. And that saves the document to a .pdf file.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - here are two questions that come to mind.

1) Is it better to buy this piece off of the shelf. I will be buying a new computer within the year and would be able to re-load the appliocation on the new computer by doing it that way (vs. download onto my current system).

2) At some point, I want to allow the flyer to be made available to other associates that can "plug in" their unique ino (name, phone number, etc.) Is this as easy as the rest of the application appears to be?

BTW - what time is it in AUstralia?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should create a [Print to Pdf] button in the Print dialog box in Word. And that saves the document to a .pdf file.
    By the way - I am checking out your blog (site is not up yet). Quick question - who is the striking female?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) No idea. Maybe they give you a unique login there, which allows you to download it at any time. Chances are, they don't sell that program in stores.

2) That shouldn't be very hard for a programmer to do.

Off Topic:

The lady there is just a common stock model.

Time is 5.00 AM

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh - wouldn't mind having a couple of common stock models hangin around my common house. OK - upon further review I found a gent in Ft. Worth (jg's experience) and have sent an email for some assistance. I guess what I really need is a tutor/designer that I can sit with an learn from (taking into account how much I am in fron of my computer these days). Also, I really like the level of expertise this forum attracts and may find it helpful to submit work for constructive criticism upon interval completion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK - upon further review I found a gent in Ft. Worth (jg's experience) and have sent an email for some assistance.
    Great to hear and good luck. Ben knows his stuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW - I'm just a hop, skip and jump from Ft. Worth. Proximity thing. Thanks.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

OK - upon further review I found a gent in Ft. Worth (jg's experience) and have sent an email for some assistance.
    Not sure how I got involved in this Don't know that I am a tutor really. Even though I try to help around here.

Egor that is a really kind statement, it is appreciated