User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brainstorming Flash homepage for poetry group

Hi,
    I live and work in San Francisco and I have been chosen to do the website for a spoken-word poetry performance group that represents the SF and East Bay Areas.

I decided to create a homepage that would be animated and reflect their style. Since their name has "Ink" in it I was thinking of an inksplot design but decided to reserve that for one portion of the homepage.

Details: Right side of page has the title, with a static background image, and the navigation menu. The left side is where the interesting things happen..it is their "Highlights" section where news information (auditions info, performance dates, meet the artist) loads up on various .swfs. This is NOT a problem, because it's basically a slideshow that fades in and fades out. Comcast.net's homepage uses this model. If a user clicks anywhere on the .swf they will be taken to the appropriate site.
    The problem is creating the background look for the "Highlights", and here are my ideas:

IDEA 1:
    The Highlight section's background color is a solid black or dark grey. A white logo of the performance group appears with a preloader bar that says "Loading". The background texture tweens in, and is a series of thick black inksplots mushed together to form a mosaic.
    After the background texture loads in, a thick line quickly motion tweens itself on top of the background into an artistic, funky outline of San Francisco. Within the SF outline a promotion flyer for the next show fades in, taking in the entire space. At the same time, news information in plain text with a bold caption also fades in. The interface remains the same when the first .swf fades out and is replaced by another .swf.

IDEA 2:
    Another style involves using a Flash-faded, close up photo of a microphone on a stand (the unifying symbol of urban artists) . This photo would serve as the background for the Highlights section. A series of dark, textured ink lines (created in Photoshop) would animate clockwise into the form of a jagged box that floats above the background. The .swfs containing the news would fade in the center. (if you go to the Longest Yard's movie site they use the same concept. http://www.longestyard.com/longestyard.php )

One idea that is impossible to do because of time and complexity is to have an a stop-motion animation that portrays a poet's P.O.W from where he or she stood on the stage. The viewer would see the microphone stand in a darkened peformance room, then as the Flash site continues to load, house lights start to come on, people come in, sit down, and a poet walks onto the stage, grabbing the microphone to begin his performance.

So, thats it and I look forward to some feedback. The first idea to me would be easiest because I can't seem to find a close-up photo of a microphone anywhere, plus I've done it before on my website: www.design415.com (look on the right side of the page only and you will see it)

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL sorry, another idea just popped up

ok, i have another idea that would add on to IDEA #2. If anyone remembers the old homepage sites of Juxt Interactive,
    I know poets amongst the group who are willing to share their work for other projects, and I was thinking of a way to "showcase" their written work while the Flash site operates in it's normal functions. So, between each news clippet that loads into the interface, another swf containing important quotes from an actual poem animates in. But instead of fading in slowly, the words (all in courier,) pop in with attitude, the keywords highlighted in white to capture your attention, since the background is a series of blacks and greys. For example: The youth are tired of being ignored..
    Also, the words "bleed" into the interface (which is Juxt's style)