SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all,

I am going to be developing a Java Applet and I need to know if there is a Java Plug-in for IE on the Mac and if so does it run Java 2 applets?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mr T; May 15, 2001 at 07:25.
    -AT

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE on Mac uses Apple's MRJ (Mac OS Runtime Java) which is the Apple implimentation of the Java virtual machine. Be warned that applets running in IE have a tendency to crash Macs. I have Java applets turned off in my preferences for IE. Supprisingly, Netscape uses its own java virtual machine which performs much better (well at least that's the case on my old 9600/300 PCI Mac).

I am guessing that the Apple MRJ is installed with the OS these days (or if not that it is part of the IE install). I can't remember as I keep mine up to date because I use apple's version of the JDK as well so update my virtual machine regularly.

OS X comes with built-in support for Java 2 (JDK 1.3), but otherwise AFAIK on older systems the MRJ supports JDK 1.1.8 But I'm not confident about that. However, it wouldn't suprise me as it seams that Apple are not putting any support effort into pre OS X any more (which essentially makes my 3.5 year old mac obsolete even though it is still no slug as a performer - running a RISC processor at 300Mhz).

BTW, I'm just looking at the readme file for MRJ 2.2.4. Here's what it says about IE5.0
    MRJ 2.2.3 fixes several of the more prominent bugs exhibited when using MRJ 2.2 and MRJ 2.2.2 with Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE) 5.0; other bugs still remain. Apple is working, along with Microsoft, to resolve these problems, and they will be addressed in a future release.
    Obviously these bugs are Apple's fault as Microsoft sofware has no bugs.