SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need a site-search script, no db

I want to implement a site-search script using php on a site that currently uses FusionBot (a free site-search feature). Fusionbot is nice, but the site is a corporate site, so if it had it's own site-search feature, it would add a professional touch.

And, there's no database to work with, but the server does support PHP.

I've looked around, and thought I found something once, but can't find it now.

Does anyone know of such a script or tutorial? I don't mind setting up whatever files I need to make, it's just it needs to go without a db at this time.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are plenty of softwares out there that will index your site and you can test your search facility locally..some of them have options of creating java scripts if your site has less than 200 pages else you'll need a DB.

i used search engine builder professional but i never payed for it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm maybe u could try www.resourcehog.com? they have quite a few scripts there, maybe one of them can help you

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Still looking around. When I find it, I'll post what it is here, because what I thought I remember reading, it seemed like a great script for anyone else interested in using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you taken a look at Atomz?
    http://atomz.com/applications/search/features.htm

Highly customizable and free (up to a certain amount of pages), I believe.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked at Atomz briefly... looks nice and has a lot of bells and whistles, but more than needed for the time being. Will continue to check it out.

I found another, though a nuts and bolts, it's the right concept. http://writedoc.com/programs/writedocSearch/

Needs a lot of work though. Ugly appearance and algo has some relevancy issues. But maybe I'll take a look under the hood to see if it can be suped-up a bit.

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atomz is a hosted search engine though, just so you know. Unless it's changed, the limit for their free search engine is 500 pages. Their pay version is literally thousands of dollars per year. Ouch!

If you want a search engine that doesn't use a database, I use the Zoom search engine on a very small site. That one can index up to around 4,000 pages but seems to choke on anything larger than that.

Hope this helps.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting -- I found one by digital point, which uses Google by way of API, in which of course you need to sign up to get the Google API key. In doing so, you must agree to Google's terms of services, which states this sort of thing isn't allowed for commercial sites. Even under the 'personal use' heading, it states "You may not take the results from a Google search and reformat and display them, or mirror the Google home page or results pages on your Web site."

Every lead seems to have a catch. Either it's against a t.o.s., has advertising, or is butt ugly and doesn't work well. I'll write a good one someday and unleash it to the world for free.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the google ad search on my web directory-problem it does not pick up the entries in the directory--so that kinda sucks-unles I am doing something wrong
    maybe someone can tell me what I need to search the through and display results of the link directory here--
    http://www.asia-expatsforum.com/phpBB2/links/index.php/

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a good website search engine where you don't have to wait for Google to index your site for it to be complete, try phpdig. It uses PHP/MySQL, is free, open-source software and very easy to setup and use. I highly recommend it.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    If you want a search engine that doesn't use a database, I use the Zoom search engine on a very small site. That one can index up to around 4,000 pages but seems to choke on anything larger than that.
    I've used Zoom on a site with around 50,000 pages using the PHP script (they provide multiple script options: PHP, ASP, Javascript, CGI). And the CGI script is supposed to index over 100,000 pages (i think they had a sample online, but i've yet to try it on a site of my own). None of the script options require a database. You just upload the files and away you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Fluid Dynamics Search Engine at www.xav.com