User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem using MySQL LOAD with "special" characters

I am trying to load a MySQL table with text data that contains non-ASCII characters, such as an [n-tilde] and [e-grave].

When I use mysql LOAD to load the data from a text file, it completes without a warning or error, but those "special characters" turn into unrecognizable characters when viewed in a shell mysql session and when output in a PHP script to a browser.

I've tried importing the file using both a MySQL shell session, and phpMyAdmin, and have the same results. I *can* enter a "special character" directly into the field, again using either a shell or phpMyAdmin, so the database itself does support the character sets in question (or appears to!).

I'd appreciate any advice on how can I coerce MySQL to store those characters, without having to edit all my records manually once they've been imported!

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mysql is very good documented btw

MySQL Localization and International Usage

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've read all those documents which refer to configuring MySQL - As I said, the problem is not that MySQL isn't supporting the special characters, the problem is with the LOAD function.
    Juddster

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm completely unable to locate any help using Google, apart from someone who had the same problem in 2003 - shame his post had no way of contacting him, then I could ask him directly!

I'd really appreciate it if someone has any light to shed on this. Try loading a simple word like "" but using the LOAD DATA INFILE not the INSERT etc. syntax. Works fine with the latter, completely destroyed with the former. Bizarre.
    Juddster