User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi friends,
    I am a newbie to this forum. This is my first post. Ofcourse, I registered in this forum to ask this question only.
    My problem is I want to have all the links display in my website itself. That is, if I gave a link to CNN.com, that webpage should display under my logo, menu etc. Hope u can understand and help with my problem. Thank you very much.
    - Kiran
    Please check my website www.webappcabaret.com/mywebhome (I am still making changes to it) and push your opinions by signing my guestbook or giving email to me. Thank you.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to do it is use frames - search for how to do frames to find out more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I can do it with frames, but I want to know whether it can be done without frames, because I don't want to use frames since they r not supported by all browsers. I am currently using tables. Pls help.
    - Kiran
    Please check my website www.webappcabaret.com/mywebhome (I am still making changes to it) and push your opinions by signing my guestbook or giving email to me. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiran...

The only browsers that don't support frames are like version 2 of IE and Netscape. I wish people would quit saying that frames are bad or not supported. Frames are only bad if they are misused.

Frames are the only way to do what you want.

As an aside, it would be somewhat rude and unprofessional to pull someones elses content into YOUR page. It makes novice users think that the content is YOURS and not the other site's.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    I wish people would quit saying that frames are bad or not supported. Frames are only bad if they are misused.
    Wouldn't you agree that most people misuse them though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cokeman

Wouldn't you agree that most people misuse them though?
    no...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

illegal?

From what I know it is very illegal to show other people's content under your frames if it is hard to discern who is the original content owner.
    Ali Memon
    Direct Print

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not illegal...just unethical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could easily open cnn.com using PHP and output the html inside of your own html.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were illegal about.com would be in trouble!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could also use javascript to open the page in a new window. This would keep the visitor from leaning your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there are some very interesting legal aspects involved in this kind of thing. Serving other page's content in a frame ala about.com must be legal as they get away with it (although they do make it clear that the site is an external site). Grabbing the contents of another page on the server side and then displaying it along with other code is more fo a grey area. Google do this (have a look at a google cached page for an example) but include a hefty disclaimer at the top of the page explaining what it is and why they have done it.

I'm pretty certain grabbing content on the server side and then displaying it with your own HTML would rapildy draw attention from copyright lawyers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back to Kiran's original question, you need to use frames, which are perfectly fine if used properly.

You could use the source code at the following page to do what you require:
    http://freecenter.com/db/click.cgi?c...y=bannerx&url='http://www.exchangead.com/index.html'

I agree that it's not the best option, a touch unethical even. Would be great if sites didn't put others in frames at all.

For two years I resisted doing this. But now I've noticed many of the major sites are doing it, including search engines (I use a code on my welcome page to break out of their frames however ).

I think it's particularly crooked when a PPC search engine places your site in a frame when you've paid for traffic to it. A couple that I've noticed using it are Godado.co.uk and Win4Win. Won't be PAYING to list my sites with them anymore.

I don't agree with locking other people's sites into your frame etc. but...

... after being ripped off by MOST affiliate programs my company's been involved with, costing us thousands of dollars, I've grown to realise that the terms 'morality' and 'internet business' just cannot go together. Many of the most successful companies (and some of these are multi-million dollar household enterprises) have, through fraudulent tracking, creative accounting and manipulation of their biased contracts, cost me and others thousands of dollars.

Morality, who cares about morality in modern Western society? There's no God right, so why be moral? Morality can't buy you a nice car or a vacation in the Bahamas.

End of sermon
    Last edited by litmania_com; May 18, 2001 at 05:54.
    Nadeem Azam
    Litmania.com Inc.

Free promotion - check out this 1:1 banner exchange
    Dot com domains - the world's most prestigious domain names for sale