SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: US gun laws

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to look at things from a neutral point of view, helps see things from both sides. I probably used a bad choice of words by saying "Cowboys and Indians". Here's a sample scenario, if gun laws were far more relaxed and many people carried them... People have tempers, people get angry, gunfights in the street would probably become an everyday scene. While it's good for defensive means, who's to stop people from playing judge, jury, executioner.. Another gun holder? If more people were carrying, even more would follow along with it. We have people that get shot during the day in a busy street over a stolen car. If for example the victim had a weapon and a gunfight took place how many bystanders face the chances of being hit? I don't disagree with having a gun in the home, but concealed weapons look like a dangerous issue.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a book that illustrated a brilliant theory. The author theorized that if everyone carried a weapon that within three generations society would be reborn. All the hotheads and the chemically in-balanced got themselves killed and therefore were not able to breed. An interesting book.

Also a gunfight in the street in our society would be suicide incarnate. No way in hell I would pull my weapon and commence to shooting at anybody in public. If someone mis-reads the situation I could get shot. And I guarantee criminals know that.

I think everyone should carry a gun, with a few slight restrictions. No one can carry weapons into establishments that serve alcohol. Also No-one should carry weapons into Churches or hospitals.

Other than that... It is a great idea.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the deal:

A poll was taken of gun toters to see if they were more aggressive or less aggressive when carrying.

Guess what....over 95% stated that they were much LESS aggressive.

People who are killed for stupid reasons are usually killed by someone illegaly carrying. More than likely the gun used in any given crime is stolen. Instead of shooting the person, he would just stab them or crush them with a tire iron.

When I carry (always) I take it very seriously. You cannot shoot someone for no reason and expect to avoid prison.

It's like martial arts. When you learn them, you are much more likely to try to avoid fighting because you realize what the outcome will be. No need to prove anything. It's a fact, kids with MA trainig fight waaay less. The same is true with guns.

If you don't want to pack, fine. But I think you are being irresponsible. I consider it my responsibility to protect myself and the people around me from criminals.

If a gun owner saves your life one day, you'll be glad he came along.
    Come get 5,000 Full Color - High Gloss(front and back) business cards for only $270!
    www.diamondqueue.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What propaganda is this WorldNetDaily? Do you ever get your 'news' from anywhere else? I hope so!

[edit] I'm sorry. I realise it was a 'buddy' that sent you that article.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 13, 2001 at 17:01.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this Australian website.

This link is to their stats page. Very complete and informative.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/gunleg.html

I wish I could claim ownership of this but:

You have beaten your swords into plowshares and are plowing for those who did not.

A real cause for celebration. Eh?
    Come get 5,000 Full Color - High Gloss(front and back) business cards for only $270!
    www.diamondqueue.com

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got NRA ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a young person, so my opinion may or may not count for much. However, I have been around firearms longer than most of you have been online. I have reloaded, and hunted, shooting thousands and thousands of round since I was 5 years of age. I have been a part of firearm sales and have worked for several dealers on my spare weekends selling and bartering their guns at gun shows. My father has owned two different gun shops, both of which I manned.

I have been taught a respect for guns. I have no fear of them, I know every working aspect of most guns, from Ruger, Rossi, S&W, Winchester, Colt, Remington, Beretta, Arisaka, Browning, Dan Wesson, High Standard, Tompson Center, Ithica, Luger, Mossburg, Savage-Stevens-Springfield, US Military Arms, and the list continues. I can tell you the triger mechanisms and the bore diameters as well as the proper CUP to retain efficiency when relaoding. This has all taught me the respect which I have for them- I have no fear of them, just respect- big difference.

I will attack the anti-gun movement from an angle which may not have been looked at before- war and invasion. The US has a little thing in our CONSTITUTION that says something about the PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, if I'm not mistaken.. and please correct me if I am. The United States of America was founded with firearms, think the colonists won their Independance using shovels and pitchforks? We have also NEVER had a land invasion on US soil. I wonder why? Mabey because every house in America has at least one weapon, and there are enough firearms in private ownership to outfit every man, woman, child, and infant with one gun? Na, couldn't be.

Here is one for you all- Switzerland was nuetral during both WW's, and was never invaded. Any idea why? They're a small country, not a large populace. The reason they were never invaded, even during the heart of the wars was because they make it MANDATORY that all men go into the military at about 18 (I'm not positive on the ages, although I am reasonably sure) and must stay in active service intill they turn 21. They then take thier Galaal home where they are REQUIRED to keep it oiled, in working order, available at all times, and to practice no less that once a month with it, the men then are on the "draft" untill they turn 50. This firearm is either a full or select fire automtic assult weapon- a major teturant to an invasion if every houshold contains at least one of these guns. Needless to say, their crime rate is basicly nill.

Isreal is another one to look at. Male and Female alike go into the military at the age of 18 and are allowed to get out, if they choose at the age of 21. They're Uzi is kept with them as well as their Desert Eagle full-auto handgun untill they die. Same rules as Swtizerland, you keep the gun in full functional condition, practice, and they don't know what a trigger lock is.., it's kept out in the open and accessible at all times.

It's a freedom and a right as an American. Come on, we're talking part of our constitution! To those living in America, keep it free! I may not agree with the Neo-Nazi's in this part of our country where I live, however, I would defend to the end their right's to meet, free speach, and freedom of press. Even though their views are way out of whack from mine, I still believe that they are entitled to their rights of speach, press, religion, and firearm ownership, and I would fight to the death those rights.

Just think about it, because it may mean more than just a crook, it could be the only thing that keeps America America in the next war.

God Bless,

Alex Stanton
    RKBA!!!!
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this philosophy - an armed society is a polite society.

After seeing two people nearly get into a fist fight on the Tube (underground, subway, metro...) last night - just because one looked at the other, it kinda makes sense to me.

But what ya gonna do if this happens in YOUR state?...

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23196

First the handguns, next???...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    z7 - If that heppens in my state or city or anywhere near me, I'll tell them to kiss my ***.

It's getting close to time when they'll be telling us how to use our firearms, to which I say bite me.

I already am non-compliant with most silly gun laws. I respect freedom more than crooked politicians who want more power.
    www.diamondqueue.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go HEAVY! - that's what I love about you Americans

(for anyone that wants to take this out of context I mean't I love the way true Americans "respect freedom more than crooked politicians who want more power.")
    Last edited by z7; Jun 14, 2001 at 08:56.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too
    www.diamondqueue.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you anyways? (in the US)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Tulsa, OK - though my home is in Alabama.

My wife and I are moving back there in three months. We're excited.

You should come shoot one of my AK's next time you are in the states....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't be for a while - but it may be permanent!

Let's hope they haven't taken your AK by then.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, that's NOT gonna happen, unless something else terrible happens first.

I love these buggers and it'll take a round to the forehead to get them from me.

Tough stance, I know. But I mean it.

I guess this debate is over....peace.

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my stance too; the day they come for my guns is the day.. well.. it won't be pretty.

How's that AK? Is it hard to find 7.76mm NATO where you are?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7.76mm is the same as our US .223 Remington Magnum, ammo is dime a dozen. Gotta love the AK, but I truely like the Ruger Mini 14 if I want the smaller caliber, but for a semi-auto I prefer the Ruger Mini-30, 7.62x39. The 7.62x39 is a great efficiency round based on the same profile as the 30-06, which has been cut down almost half a and inch. Mean little thing when reloaded

Anyways, guns can also be fun! Who here loves just to shoot? How about reload? I know that I do! How about Cowboy Action Shooting? Cowboy Action Shooting is the fastest growing co-ed sport in the country of America, even above basketball, soccer, baseball, rafting, racing, etc. I love the art of handloading, which has almost been lost in today's society. I love shooting revolvers at long distances (100-200 yards), and I love shootig high power long arms (bolt and single actions) at 500-700 yards. My favorite is the 6mmx06" wildcat, the 30-06 Ackley Improved, and the 35 Whelen.

Well, I've made my point,

God Bless,

Alex Stanton
    LoadSwap.com
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shot a .38 hand-gun and it half deafened me!

I enjoyed shooting guns when I visited the US - I had a go on a few rifles and a 16-gauge shotgun (I think?) - it was kinda fun.
    I don't know much about guns really but at least I know what a safety is now

I don't think I could shot a person mind you.

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to shoot; it's fun to try and improve your marksmanship and get bullseyes and such.

I don't reload; I'm afraid I'd cook it too hot or something and :kaboom: my glocks.. That and if a round totally malfunctions I have someone other than myself to blame!

You gotta wear ear/eye protection z7!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - I liked shotting cans!

I only shot a couple of rounds from the .38 - it was to painful after that!

Will remember the ear-protection next time...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AK-47 round is the 7.62x39 as descirbed by exbabylon. Very easy to find.

The cheap Russian ammo cost about 8 cents each right now so $80 for a case of 1,000. It is very reliable ammo.

My other AK, the AK-74, yes, AK-74 shoots 5.45x39 - a little smaller than the .223 for an M-16 but not much. It's actually a .222 an has a horrific wound channel. If I had to get shot, it would not be with this round.

I love them both very much as they are very comfortable to shoot, fairly accurate out to about 500 yds and ammo is cheap.

Plus they look mean so thats an added perk.
    Last edited by heavy; Jun 14, 2001 at 10:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that you mean the 38 Winchester Special... great little handgun and carbine load, but I like the .375 Mag if you have to use something that small in a revolver . My favorite handgun round in the 41, but I also like the 44, 45, 454, 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, and 500 Linebaugh... the big ones

The 16 gauge would probably be the shell you shot, great shotgun cartridge, sad it's been killed by gun writers

The .222 does have a mean wound channel, I have only used those guns that have been reemed out to .223 Rem, so my experience with the 222 in the semi-auto is limited.

Guns are fun!

God Bless,

Alex